Wrong Icons After Installing Internet Explorer 7

Ok so I installed Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3 and after doing so I noticed that my icons on all my dvds and cds (burned and commercial) are wrong. It looks as if the internet explorer "E" is overlapping the the actual original folder icon, 2 icons in 1. I uninstalled I.E. 7 beta 3 and everything went back to normal so I kinda think IE 7 is the cause of this problem. I have searched around then net and nobody else seems to have this same issue. So I was wondering does anyone else have this same problem and do they know how to correct it.

Thanks!!!

post-71848-1153427803_thumb.jpg

Ok now wouldn't that be the samething as refreshing the icon cache by deleting the IconCache.db file cause I've already tried that...and just to let you know this wrong icon problem only effects files on discs in the dvd or cd-rom drive. I have no problems with my icons otherwise.

But thanks anyways... :)

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I also experienced this problem. rebuild icons will work until the next reboot. I eventually made the problem go away. My problem was caused by my use of the old version of tweakui (located in control panel) to change the 'shortcut arrow' from the default to the 'light arrow'....

The problem went away when i stopped doing that... I've also just installed the current version of tweakui for WinXP which doesn't place the tweakui icon in the control panel.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update...

Well seems like after installing Internet Explorer 7 Final my issue with the incorrect icons have disappeared. Thanks to those that tried to help.

I have the exact same problem. Unfortunately the problem has not gone away after installing the final release of IE 7. I have noticed this is somehow related to the d: drive. My e: drive displays the correct icons on my cd's or dvd's. Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 months later...

I contacted Microsoft Support, and after working my way up the escallation tree, I got to a tech with some knowledge.

Apparently this problem is related to the Shell Icon size. If you are using large icons in your shell and install IE 7, this problem

appears.

You can test this by changing your shell icon size by right clicking on the desktop (in a blank area of course), select the Appearance Tab,

Click the Effects... button, and uncheck Use Large Icons. Then go to the CD drive in Windows Explorer and observe that the bug goes away.

The use large icons sets a registry setting to 48.

You can use regedit to set that eky and one (1) other key to 47 so that you have large icons and no bug when viewing your CD drive

in Windows Explorer.

Set the following two (2) registry keys to 47.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\Shell Icon BPP

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\Shell Icon Size

Happy Computing!

exmsft

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this post. I've been able to successfully apply this solution to my computer also. Though I found I only had to change the second key (Shell Icon Size).

Cheers!

I contacted Microsoft Support, and after working my way up the escallation tree, I got to a tech with some knowledge.

Apparently this problem is related to the Shell Icon size. If you are using large icons in your shell and install IE 7, this problem

appears.

You can test this by changing your shell icon size by right clicking on the desktop (in a blank area of course), select the Appearance Tab,

Click the Effects... button, and uncheck Use Large Icons. Then go to the CD drive in Windows Explorer and observe that the bug goes away.

The use large icons sets a registry setting to 48.

You can use regedit to set that eky and one (1) other key to 47 so that you have large icons and no bug when viewing your CD drive

in Windows Explorer.

Set the following two (2) registry keys to 47.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\Shell Icon BPP

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\Shell Icon Size

Happy Computing!

exmsft

• 6 months later...