tv card saa7134 in ubuntu?

I'm trying to get my saa7134 tv card working in ubuntu. The saa7134 card is philips card in my medion 8800 pc. I'm looking to get antenna reception working (I would love to have dvb-t in linux). But so far I can't get tvtime to find my tv card.

What I have done so far is modprobing the saa7134 driver with different card- and tunertypes. But it isn't working. I've look around here but that didn't help me. Could there be something wrong with v4l? Although my webcam is working fine.

thanks

Define isn't working?

Have you copied the proper firmware to /lib/firmware ?

When you modprobe saa7134 what is the dmesg output? (dmesg | grep saa7134)

Does Ubuntu ship with /etc/init.d/dvb script?

Did you modprobe dvb and dvbcore?

Not working as in: tvtime doesn't give any input sources. So I guess it is not correctly installed.

I haven't copied anything to /lib/firmware... could you give me some more information about that? Do I need to get the firmware from my card or from the internet? And how do I find it?

dmesg | grep saa7314 gives me: "[17182392.272000] saa7134 OSS driver for DMA sound loaded"

/etc/init.d/dvb isn't present on my ubuntu installation. But I didn't look much into dvb yet because I thought it wouldn't be of much use since tvtime doesn't detect my card yet.

Well I assume the SAA7136 uses the same principle as my 7146 based Technotrend card as where I need to deposit a firmware for my card to /lib/firmware - what is the manufacturer and exact brand of the card?

In order for the Linux software to use the card properly, you'll need to load the DVB subsystem (dvb, dvbcore etc.)

This is the information of my tv card:

Medion CTX 944 Quad TV Tuner, Dual DVB-T/-S

Philips 7131E-Chipset

edit: well that is the information I get by looking on the site of medion. If I do "lspci" then I get this info:

0000:02:01.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7133 Video Broadcast Decoder (rev d1)

0000:02:04.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7133 Video Broadcast Decoder (rev d1)

Edited by Tiftof