IRQ Priority

some one told me about this IRQ Priority setting change.

Try this out

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ PriorityControl]

create a new DWORD: IRQ#Priority (where # is the number of the IRQ you want to prioritize) and give it a setting of 1.

recommend giving the System CMOS or the video card priority. The System CMOS generally has an IRQ setting of 8, and giving it priority enhances the I/O performance of the system. Giving priority to the video card can increase frame rates and make AGP/pcie more effective.

is this correct or a placebo tweak that does nothing at all?

Edited by Enigma776

"IRQs don't even HAVE a concept of "priority" in the NT family; they do have something called "IRQL" (interrupt request level) associated with them. But the interval timer interrupt is already assigned a higher IRQL than any I/O devices, second only to the inter-processor interrupt used in an MP machine. The NT family of OSes don't even use the real-time clock (IRQ 8) for time keeping in the first place! They use programmable interval timer (8254, on IRQ 0) for driving system time keeping, CPU time accounting, and so on. IRQ 8 is used for profiling, but profiling is almost never turned on except in very rare development environments. Even if it was possible it doesn't even make sense why adjusting the real-time clock priority would boost performance? The real-time clock is associated with time keeping not CPU frequency. I would not be surprised if this originated in an overclocking forum somewhere. This "tweak" can be found in most XP all-in-one tweaking applications. This is a perfect example of why they are not recommended."
So its BS!!!!!!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html

Excellent thats what i would of liked to see, i was pritty sure this was a dud tweak that did nothing but a lot of people came at me all at once saying it improved performance, when in fact did nothing.

thanks for backing this up

• 2 weeks later...
Stop 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The Stop 0xA message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel interrupt request level (IRQL) that was too high. A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own. This Stop message is typically due to faulty or incompatible hardware or software.

Possible Resolutions:

• A Stop 0xA message might occur after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a Stop message lists a driver by name, disable, remove, or roll back the driver to correct the problem. If disabling or removing drivers resolves the issues, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools.

• A Stop 0xA message might also be due to failing or defective hardware. If a Stop message points to a category of devices (video or disk adapters, for example), try removing or replacing the hardware to determine if it is causing the problem.

• If you encounter a Stop 0xA message while upgrading to Windows XPl, the problem might be due to an incompatible driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup. To avoid problems while upgrading, simplify your hardware configuration and remove all third-party device drivers and system services (including virus scanners) prior to running setup. After you have successfully installed Windows XP, contact the hardware manufacturer to obtain compatible updates.

• 4 years later...

:shiftyninja: i got tired of doing t his over and over so ill go ahead and hyper accelerate this process::

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

for irq# in "IRQ#PRIORITY"=1 replace the irq from your

system>hardware>device manager>driver that u want made faster>right click>properties>resources>"IRQ is visible here"
in this code snippet there ::
{
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl]
"Win32PrioritySeparation"=dword:00000026
"IRQ20Priority"=dword:00000001

}

return

take THAT! :woot: and save it as blablabla.reg and run it. magic from the higher up will come down and kiss your pc :yes:

i would personally recommend either your graphics card or your main networking card be 'prioratized' , whichever is SLOWER, picking the faster one may result in worse preformance on the other

final note DO NOT APPLY to more than one until further notice. ALL HELL MAY BREAK LOOSE :blink:

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

nimrods be warned.. change the priority# or u might have a very bad day :cry: