Idiot's guide to overclock E6400

Gigabyte 965P-DS3

667Mhz DDR2 Memory

E6400 Core2Duo

I was following these steps from a website (http://www.atomicmpc.com/forums.asp?s=2&c=6&t=10706)

**********************************?

1. First thing's first, update your BIOS to the latest version (F5 as of 14/09/2006). Download it here: tinyurl.com/zlcd7 then use either @BIOS (install off of CD, apparently the one on the internet is a bit borked) or follow the DOS guide: tinyurl.com/fltmg

2. Now you have a fresh new BIOS, get yourself into it by hitting Del as the system starts.

3. Once the BIOS screen is up, hit Ctrl+F1 to turn on all the tweaking extras (required for all Gigabyte mobos).

4. Go into the Advanced BIOS Features section and set the following to Disabled:

- Limit CPUID Max. to 3

- CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)

- CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2)

- CPU EIST Function

Why are we disbaled-ing them? They're throttling functions that will throttle back the CPU... which we don't particularly want.

5. Hit Esc to go back to the Main Menu then enter the PC Health Status section and the Fan Speed Control Method to Disable (not necessary in the long run, but I do it anyway since the fan is pretty quiet at full speed).

6. Hit Esc to go back to the Main Menu.

7. Enter the MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) section and do the following:

- Set CPU Host Clock Control to Enabled

- Set CPU Host Frequency (MHz) to 376

- Set PCI Express Frequency(MHz) to 100

- Set System Memory Multiplier to 2.00

- Set DRAM Timing Selectable to Manual

- Set CAS Latency Time to 5

- Set DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay to 5

- Set DRAM RAS# Precharge to 5

- Set Precharge dealy (tRAS) to 12

Most RAM will actually work at 4-4-4-12 but this is a guide for lazy people so I figured I'd go with 5-5-5-12 since it's bound to work.

8. Fit F10 on the keyboard and respond "Y" to whether you wish to change your settings and exit.

Congratulations, your E6400 2.13GHz is now running at 3GHz (and your DDR2-667 running at 752MHz).

**********************************?

Hope this guide can help those who's an overclock newbie like me!

PS: This worked in F6 BIOS, but not in F7.. a lot of failure when running Prime95.:(:(

You know, Prime95 is not the best test... My old A64 3000+ wasnt passing the test at 200MHz of overclock... :rofl:

Use SuperPI at a big MB size... if you don't have a BSOD it's okay...

i used to have an Athlon XP (Thunderbird) that wouldnt pass Prime95 at stock :huh: Ive never liked Prime95, but i'll use it occasionally still.

Nice guide though (Y)

Is this in the wrong section?

Is this in the wrong section?

I thought this is the overclocking section?

What would an idiot be doing overclocking? :-P

People like me? :D

I managed to overclock mine to 2.8 Ghz (350mhz FSB * 8), Memory from 667mhz to 700mhz with 4-4-4-12

Still running prime95 for 10 hours now to check if everything is ok.. temperatures are around 37-40c using stock fans with no extra cooling bling-bling

Heard that TaT (Thermal Analysis Tool) is good too, especially to test dual-core to their limits..

the big question is... are you doing TWO instances of Prime or just the one... b/c im a little skeptical of your cpu temps unless you were using water.

4. Go into the Advanced BIOS Features section and set the following to Disabled:

- Limit CPUID Max. to 3

- CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)

- CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2)

- CPU EIST Function

Why are we disbaled-ing them? They're throttling functions that will throttle back the CPU... which we don't particularly want.

Limig CPUID Max to 3, or disable it? :blink:

And I guess english is not your first language? wth is "disabled-ing"

I didn't reply because of the typo. As I understand you asked the author if one has to set that option to 3 or disable it, hence my attempt to clear up what it was called and how it can only be disabled/enabled and and can't be given a numerical value. If that wasn't the case, ignore meh :)

Oh, don't worry. I understood what you meant, but also realized I had made a typo, haha...

I'm planning on getting a 6300 under an Aerocool X-Fire, on an ASUS P5W with 1 GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 CL 4, PC5400/675. So I hope to do some overclocking. :)