My ISP asked me for my password through email

this .. you guys will find hilarious i'm sure... unless this is actual standard practice... which would just blow me away..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: edm.help@sjrb.ca; privacy@shaw.ca

Subject: RE: Internet Support

Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 13:10:56 -0700

Hello Bernice,

I sure hope this isn't some kind of joke. An ISP is asking me for the password to my email account? And you would like me to send this from a internet email account THROUGH THE WEB which anyone can see??? you guys are unreal. I am also forwarding this to someone in the shaw privacy department. The issue that i had written about has fixed itself as i do not have the problem anymore. You guys obviously need training ..

One ****ED OFF customer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:53:30 -0700

To: ****@hotmail.com

Hello ****,

Thank you for choosing Shaw Technical Support.

Please advise the password for your email account so that we may investigate.

We hope this information has been useful to you. When sending a reply to us, please remember to include all previous correspondence. Thank you for choosing Shaw!

Bernice

E-Mail Support Team

Shaw Internet Service

Should you require further assistance in the future, you may reach us via any of the mediums listed below:

Web: http://support.shaw.ca

Email: edm.help@sjrb.ca

Telephone:

Edmonton (780) 490-3590

Red Deer (403) 340-6420

Hinton 1 (800) 465-9605

Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 10:03 AM

To: Shaw Internet Edmonton Help

Subject: Internet Support

Customer is not registered with Online Customer Care.

FirstName

LastName

AccountNumber

City

Province

PostalCode

DaytimePhone

DaytimeExtension

EveningPhone

EveningExtension

Can someone explain to me why i am not able to view my email messages in webmail ?? if i go into the folder view i see that i have 11 messages in my inbox and 34 messages in my sent items... when i go to either inbox or sent items.. nothing shows up .. please be aware that this is in WEBMAIL!!!! i have not downloaded any emails to outlook on my computer or anything because i want to access these emails from work. ( where i am at right now) my email address that is affected is ####@shaw.ca please do not reply to that email address seeins as how i am NOT ABLE TO VIEW MESSAGES!!! email me to ****@hotmail.com I have spoken to a CS1 from your office and they made me look like a complete idiot saying that i have filters on or something .. I told her repeatedly that no i do not have anything like that set up and told her she had no clue what she was talking about and that i wanted to be transfered to someone higher up. I could only wait so long ... 10 min was long enough .. i had to go to work . FIX THIS!!!

this just gets better and better...

> Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 13:11:00 -0700

> From: postmaster@l-daemon

> Subject: Delivery Notification: Delivery has failed

> To: ******@hotmail.com

>

> This report relates to a message you sent with the following header fields:

>

> Message-id: <BAY117-W190EF34527019CBF65C94DCFF80@phx.gbl>

> Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 13:10:56 -0700

> From: <*******@hotmail.com>

> To: Shaw Internet Edmonton Help <edm.help@sjrb.ca>, privacy@shaw.ca

> Subject: RE: Internet Support

>

> Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

>

> Recipient address: privacy@shaw.ca

> Reason: Over quota

>

One word. Scam, Your ISP should never ask for your password, and if this really is your isp then you better switch

It's not a scam, read the e-mails. He contacted them first, and in the reply, the rep asked for the password.

Well, I'm kind of in the same situation.

My cell phone plan comes with email address, which I had already used in the past.

When I wanted to use it again, I noticed they upgraded their site and I was unable to access my mail.

When mailing support about this (from an other address ofc) they also asked my to send my password various times. (Which I didn't, I just don't reply too such mails.)

Such situations actually make me wonder how many people just send their password to a "support" services.

wow I never knew Shaw would do something like this. I think i remember emailing Shaw Vancouver for a similar webmail problem but they never asked for my password. They should have access to all the accounts anyways right?

Use the marvelous invention that is the Telephone. Call Shaw and get a direct answer. Even if it was a real support person I would be extremely hesitant to send my password, unencrypted via email. You are doing the right thing imo, Shaw is not.

Use the marvelous invention that is the Telephone. Call Shaw and get a direct answer. Even if it was a real support person I would be extremely hesitant to send my password, unencrypted via email. You are doing the right thing imo, Shaw is not.

they dont think they are doing anything wrong obviously..

Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 14:36:39 -0700

To: *****@hotmail.com

Hello #####,

Thank you for choosing Shaw Technical Support.

All customer passwords are encrypted on our database, so we are unable to access or view your password. We often require this password in order to investigate email issues. If a customer is not comfortable to email the password to us, there is always the option to contact us by phone.

We hope this information has been useful to you. When sending a reply to us, please remember to include all previous correspondence.

Thank you for choosing Shaw!

Bernice

E-Mail Support Team

Shaw Internet Service

Should you require further assistance in the future, you may reach us via any of the mediums listed below:

Web: http://support.shaw.ca

Email: edm.help@sjrb.ca

Telephone:

Edmonton (780) 490-3590

Red Deer (403) 340-6420

Hinton 1 (800) 465-9605

if i'm not comfortable??? hell they shouldn't even be asking this .. thats stupid ...

i would call them up, and tell them over the phone. I would see that because they emailed you asking for it it's a scam.. but because you asked first, it's probably not a scam.

The reason why the emails do not work is because they have moved their mail servers.... the website has moved therefore they are now probably using different mail servers. Any ISP who sends you an email containing the password is in breach of the Data Protection Act in the UK. However, there is no Data Protection Act in Europe or the USA.

As everybody else has said pick up the phone and call them...

this .. you guys will find hilarious i'm sure... unless this is actual standard practice... which would just blow me away..

this just gets better and better...

What I find more amazing is your lack of communication skills, you come across very unprofessional and immature in your e-mail correspondence.

First of all -

It's your ISP, you pay them for your account right?

It is their responsibility to keep your information on file.

The reason why the emails do not work is because they have moved their mail servers.... the website has moved therefore they are now probably using different mail servers. Any ISP who sends you an email containing the password is in breach of the Data Protection Act in the UK. However, there is no Data Protection Act in Europe or the USA.

As everybody else has said pick up the phone and call them...

So, your saying, that NO company can send you a password via email, even if YOU request it in the UK?

What happens if you forget your password? Do you just start a new email or ebay or somthing?

I used to work for an ISP technical support, Telus to be exact. We had no way of looking up your passwords. Other account info, sure, not passwords. We did have the ability to change your password. But especially for email issues, the only way we could deal with the issue is to have the user give us their password or give us permission to change their password.

My advice, call them, it's not neccesarily anymore secure than email, but it is better piece of mind.

Passwords are commonly stored as a one-way hash. Sure you can look at the value of the hash but it is worthless, as it is one way. Windows stores your passwords this way, as do many other programs.

What I find more amazing is your lack of communication skills, you come across very unprofessional and immature in your e-mail correspondence.

I agree there as well, his maturity is wonderfully apparent.

Why not just change your password and send it back to them? It's common. I do install tech support for forums. It's very common to ask a user for a username and password. Nothing out of the ordinary, and usually that information (ftp login, for example) is much more valuable than some random joes e-mail address password.

Agreed. I used to manage some automotive repair shops and I can't believe the way some customers would come in and spout their mouths off right to my face. Pretty unreal the way some people act.

Get some manners, OP!

I just read the emails now... I'd have to agree with the general concensus of the forums. I for one would give you ###### ass tech support. Most problems are customer side, once in awhile we get the fun calls that are our fault - but this is few and far between. If a customer is polite, I will try to explore as many possibilities until I've solved that person's problems. When they start getting belligerent (some people feel this is the only way to get results) I do whatever is needed to get rid of this person quickly. If I can solve their problem easily, I'll do it, but in a very cold/professional manner... You won't get above and beyond tech support. If I can't solve your problem, within the scope of my responsibility (you don't provide me a password, so I can't check if it's our issue or not) or it's a problem at your end, I'm just going to tell you it's not our problem and you should pay some tech support guy to fix your computer for you.

alright alright ... try and cut down on the flack will ya guys ??? i admit.. i was rude in the email to her, but from hearing a rep tell me that "oh i probably have filters on that i dont know about" to saying that " well maybe you just dont have any emails" instead of actually listening to the problem .. i got frustrated..

then when i got a request to have me send my password through email ... that just kind of blew me away...

well all that rudeness aside.. i did get through to shaw last night ... actually had a service rep ask me to forward my email and they would look into it .

2 hours later i got a follow up call and basically shaw's story is this:

1. they dont have access to passwords... cuz they are encrypted.. they can only reset passwords

2. the reason they needed my password is because even though i told them what the problem was in order for them to escalate it they actually need to see it themselves. :rolleyes:

3. i questioned them if it is normal practice for them to ask for passwords through email... Answer: YUP

it's my choice of whether i send it in or not.

So if a joe blow doesn't know any better.. he can sent the password out through email and therefore putting their privacy at risk ..

service rep answer: "well thats one way of looking at it.. but i can assure you that all our staff have gone through a security check.."