UAC...I hate it I hate it I hate it...

I have run into a bit of a bunch here. I HATE UAC. It blows. It blocks every legit program in the book from running, taking 10 years to pop up it's little stupid authentication box. But when I turn it off, the warning icon (the red saftey X) shows up. Now I already know you can turn this thing off, but I like the X to warn me when somehing is wrong. However I do not want it to be there the rest of my computers life cycle b/c when you turn UAC off, the red x doesn't EVER go away unless you tell windows not to warn you or show you when there are security risks alive. Any work arounds on this?

Try this, it might help:

Under admin tools>Local Security Policies, navigate to Local Policies>Security Options and set "User Account Control: Switch to secure desktop..." to disabled to make UAC a lot less intrusive (imop...)

It's not the fact that it blocks some effy programs from obtaining better privliges, but it's really sad and flat out annoying it's telling me I need to confirm access to create a directory called test. Then asks me twice more if I would like to confirm this action. I guess I'll try what bobbba said and if that doesn't work out I'll just disable the warnings.

It's not the fact that it blocks some effy programs from obtaining better privliges, but it's really sad and flat out annoying it's telling me I need to confirm access to create a directory called test.

If you create a directory called test in your folder Documents or on your desktop, no confirmation is required!

UAC needs a confirm, only if you or an unauthorized program want to create a folder/file in a place where you or an unauthorized program don't have permissions.

With UAC off, every program is able to write in almost every place, in all the system folders, replace every file and destroy everything without your knowledge, like in Windows XP.

UAC ON means you really have the full control of your computer

UAC OFF means you don't have the controll of your computer

Edited by franzon

UAC ON means you really have the full control of your computer

UAC OFF means you don't have the controll of your computer

QFT

I don't understand why any power user would turn off UAC. It gives you so much more control over your system. And seeing elevation prompts should be extremely rare.

If you're seeing them when creating a directory, then your permissions are set wrong. Thing is, most users of *nix or Mac OS (or any Windows operating system where they run as a standard user) are used to working in their user home directory and confirming their credentials when installing apps or changing system settings.

In fact, on any other OS it'd be more intrusive because they actually make you enter your password.

You will need to disable Windows Defender too, cause it is same bit as annoying as UAC.

Huh?

I've been running Vista for years (and the RTM on several machines since Nov 6th) and I have never once seen a Windows Defender prompt for anything. Are you frequently trying to install spyware on your machine?

UAC is a bit annoying at times, but I still keep it enabled, because you never know when you might be installing a virus or malware or something.

If I didn't do so many things (and so frequently) that require UAC prompts, I would enable it. For your average user, UAC is great, provided that they don't blindly click Allow. The real challenge of UAC adoption is to convince people not to always simple click Allow. Only time will tell...

If I didn't do so many things (and so frequently) that require UAC prompts, I would enable it. For your average user, UAC is great, provided that they don't blindly click Allow. The real challenge of UAC adoption is to convince people not to always simple click Allow. Only time will tell...

What do you do so frequently that requires elevation?

I use utorrent all the time, and if you don't run it as administrator you get access denied errors. Then, when you run it as administrator UAC pops up. I'm all for security, but UAC is a nuisance and unnecessary imo.

I use utorrent all the time, and if you don't run it as administrator you get access denied errors. Then, when you run it as administrator UAC pops up. I'm all for security, but UAC is a nuisance and unnecessary imo.

I don't have any issues with running uTorrent.

uTorrent is running perfectly fine for me without administrative privileges.

Restart services and copy/overwrite files in "Program Files" and common AppData directory. I can get around some of this by launching cmd.exe as Admin, and launching everything from there. It's just not worth the annoyance to leave UAC enabled.