IE7 no longer a "High Priority" update

In quite a few recent updates of customer's computers, I have found that Microsoft has moved their Internet Explorer 7 from the "High Priority" update section down to the "Software, Optional" section. The update is no longer automatically downloaded, and people who want the program must manually select it. Does anyone know *why*?

Why has Microsoft changed their mind on this? I know that in the past, it was an automatic update, but now it's optional. Have they decided to stop forcing it upon people and only let the people who want it grab it now? Or did they change their mind about its security? What possible reason would there be for downgrading this?\

Edit: It just did a silent install. That's the first time that has happened in all of the times that I've installed it. It didn't prompt me to agree or validate or download the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal tool or anything like that. It just went through the installation process silently just like any other Windows/Microsoft update.

I think it might just simply be because most people will have it by now. It has been a high-priority update for about 2 months and the majority of PC users would have made up their mind by now and updated if they wish.

There is definately no change in thier mind about the security. IE 7 is much more secure than IE 6 still and proabably a lil more secure than FireFox. FireFox's phishing filter is a joke and I have proof of that if anyone wants it by clicking here: FireFox's Joke of a Phishing Filter -- Click Here --

Edited by Guest

1) That article is 6 months old.

2) A sample set of 1 dodgy site is not a good way to measure firefox's protection anti-phishing protection. Perhaps I should quote some contrary articles:

(Infoworld) Mozilla: Firefox antiphishing tool better than IE 7

(ComputerWorld) Mozilla: Firefox antiphishing tool better than IE7's

(SecuritySearch) Firefox antiphishing feature beats Internet Explorer in Mozilla test

(LinuxWorld) Mozilla: Firefox antiphishing tool better than IE 7's

(Mozilla) Firefox 2 Phishing Protection Effectiveness Testing

etc etc

See, I can dredge up articles too!

I just happened to have to go through this processes yesterday, and as of yesterday IE7 was a High Priority update, and i had to run through WGA and it asked to agree to a EULA and install the Malicious Software Removal Tool

Well that's definitely weird then.

There were three different computers for which it was not a High Priority update, but the last one I did moved it back up too. I'll have to keep looking to see if I can find the trend or something...

Definitely weird.

1) That article is 6 months old.

2) A sample set of 1 dodgy site is not a good way to measure firefox's protection anti-phishing protection. Perhaps I should quote some contrary articles:

(Infoworld) Mozilla: Firefox antiphishing tool better than IE 7

(ComputerWorld) Mozilla: Firefox antiphishing tool better than IE7's

(SecuritySearch) Firefox antiphishing feature beats Internet Explorer in Mozilla test

(LinuxWorld) Mozilla: Firefox antiphishing tool better than IE 7's

(Mozilla) Firefox 2 Phishing Protection Effectiveness Testing

etc etc

See, I can dredge up articles too!

IE7 and Firefox 2 weren't out 6 months ago. That article can't be entirely accurate if it's based on beta versions.

FireFox's phishing filter is a joke

Well, all I know is that it works. I came across it the other day for the first time... I didn't even know the feature was active.

Well, all I know is that it works. I came across it the other day for the first time... I didn't even know the feature was active.

Then you must surf some pretty pathetic sites because I use FF but never got a phishing warning.

On Microsoft/Windows Update it's listed under optional

If you use Automatic Updates to install all your updates then it'll get installed automatically unless you have the IE7 blocker installed or tell it to ignore it.

I just fresh loaded a Dell Optiplex with XP VLK and IE7 never did show as available. Installed all updates and then installed IE7 with standalone file.

ditto to that. IE7 not appearing as an update available on windows update. i have to download it manually.

it was present previously though. wonder whats up