My Power brick exploded and started a fire on my desk

I was in the kitchen and the fire alarm went off in my room. I went back to my room and found the power brick for my Powerbook G4 sparking and smoking and it had lit a notebook on my desk on fire. Is this normal? Safe? I mean normal wear and tear is one thing but the brick looked to be in perfect shape. It wasnt frayed or discolored or anything that would have hinted it was a danger to me. Then all the sudden boom its on fire I mean thats not right. If i take the brick to the apple store will they give me a new one for free? I'm not interested in suing or something crazy. Though i am crazy freaked out, what if i hadn't been home? Or was sleeping? Even out of warranty they aren't suppose to start fires are they? Please I need advice.

Photos:

Edited by Leif

I've neverrr heard of an apple power brick exploding, im so freaked out, it was smoking, sparking and burning a notebook, i mean im not talking like an edge im talking it was burning flames like crazy im like crazy freaked out but sorta excited. who do i call what do i do?

I've neverrr heard of an apple power brick exploding, im so freaked out, it was smoking, sparking and burning a notebook, i mean im not talking like an edge im talking it was burning flames like crazy im like crazy freaked out but sorta excited. who do i call what do i do?

Call a lawyer and ask for a consultation on what legal options you have ... seriously I'm not joking someone could have been hurt you could have lost your home, you have every right to be compensated for that.

Bro do something serious about it.

This is your once in a lifetime chance to get some free money.

I had a sexual harassment case I passed down and now I regret it. lol :(

PS.

Powerbooks use Sony batteries don't they?

PPS.

Do you have any pictures :ninja:

AHHH this is soooo crazy. My brother is like flipping out, he was asleep he walked in to my room and was like dude WTF he gets soooo paranoid. i'll get pictures online as soon as i can a friend has my camera, AHHHH

i agree...milk this for all its worth, once in a lifetime chance..i had a chance to sue walmart over a door in the bathroom that broke off the hinges and landed on my foot breaking it, but i passed it up, damn im so dumb, u will regret it....

I dunno what kinda of batterys they use, i had my battery replaced. its not the battery that caught fire its the power brick. i attached a picture, this isnt mine just one i found online. the part that was sparking is the left side as seen in the picture (obvisouly not rolled up though) where that wire connects to the brick

I dunno what kinda of batterys they use, i had my battery replaced. its not the battery that caught fire its the power brick. i attached a picture, this isnt mine just one i found online. the part that was sparking is the left side as seen in the picture (obvisouly not rolled up though) where that wire connects to the brick

I've noticed those things getting extremely hot.

When I had my iBook G4 & now my HP Pavilion I have to keep those things in the air not touching anything.

i agree with everyone else, i would sue them also, Even though you might not have the money right now to pay

for a lawyer.. But you can always pay them off after you win your case againest apple..

I think I would definitely contact a lawyer and find out your legal options. Doesn't mean you need to SUE SUE SUE, but I would find out what your options are regardless.

Just think, if you weren't home, you wouldn't return to a place to live.

DUGG: http://www.digg.com/apple/My_Power_Brick_E..._Started_a_Fire

what if i hadn't been home? Or was sleeping?

Exactly what I was thinking, something bad could have happened. Worth contacting apple and telling them, even if you don't wanna sue - despite the fact that its out of warranty they'll probably give you a new one due to the circumstances

Was it plugged in to a surge protector? I would def fire off a few emails to Apple. To be honest though, it might have been your electric system freaking out (as TheFlusher said) but I think other stuff would have fried along with the adapter if they were on the same circuit.

Some of the models used Sony batteries but those were recalled. The problem with the batteries was the cells would overheat and one would explode and start a chain reaction, this is a problem with the power supply.

I would try and get something for it though, I mean thats dangerous, A new top of the line Macbook Pro might make ya feel better :p.

Edit: saw some people were saying it could be your houses circuit system, you should go pick up something to test it. I know I've seem some outlet testers that makes sure everything is working fine.

Dont dive in and sue too quickly, you need to contact apple, see what theyre willing to offer, and if you're not happy, then persue.

You should contact a lawyer for advice though.

Dont dive in and sue too quickly, you need to contact apple, see what theyre willing to offer, and if you're not happy, then persue.

You should contact a lawyer for advice though.

While I agree that contacting Apple before filing a lawsuit is the right course of action, I think contacting a lawyer before Apple is the correct thing to do. That way a lawyer can go ahead and document whatever needs to be incase Apple refuses to compensate you adequately.

I'm currently attached to the class action lawsuit against Apple for the extremely easily scratchable iPod nanos, so I've picked up a thing or two about suing. If you're considering it, contact a lawyer first, then Apple and see what they will do for you, if you're not satisfied then allow the lawyer to proceed.

Well i called apple and they asked me all these questions. Was anything damaged? Did i contact my insurance company? Was the powerbook ever opened? And so on, someone is suppose to call me back in an hour or so.

Having worked in a warranty repair situation at a company I used to be at, we would look for the evident indicators such as missing feet, stickers, damaged labels from poking through to get to screws etc, as well as hidden seals which would instantly break when the unit was opened and not appear to be abnormal to the customer.

I am willing to bet that they will want you to send in your computer along with the power brick to validate the damage was not caused by tampering. In a normal situation, they may not, but once you start talking damages caused to your home, they will to cover their own anterior, most assuredly do a deeper investigation.

The same company I used to work for would have their senior most person in the customer service department who was empowered to practically give away the store, or close it up tight and let the lawsuits come in, call the customer and offer a reasonable settlement such as replacement of damaged items caused by the damage incurred by their product.

Like everyone else has stated, check with lawyers as well.