I got Jacked! Vista Ultimate

hey guys... just reporting in what happened today

got my tax return today, and been planning all day on getting vista ultimate , calling around to find it and nothing. I finally find a store. Iask them to hold it a copy for me, which they happily said sure. Got off work, rushed down there with my family to make the purchase. Got to the store, and I got the last one. Proceed to checkout and pay.

I go home after getting something to eat from a drivethru, and I take out the box and lay it in my chair getting ready to start the long process of getting everything ready to go. WAIT; that did not feel like my other box, the Windows Vista Premuim i bought 2 days ago, so I look at the box and in front of my eyes, low and behold the win vista ultimate box was completely jacked. Serial ripped off from inside, all the inserts missing, dvd, everything. even the top part where the codes are, everything.

I directly throw on my shoes and tell me family, back in the car. Pick up the cell phone and call right away. I finally get back to the store and I almost started laughing because they were looking at me like I did it myself and I set it up, til they started to notice i was serious that I just spent all that money and my attitude changed fairly quickly turning into superly upset mode. I guess that is the trigger for when they know someone is serious about it and not pulling their chain to make a quick buck.

The thing that gets me, that the product was enclosed in the HUGE Plastic container around it, as the security device, so I had to have been jacked from an employee that packed it. Happens all the time from the stories I read about. So yeah, It took over an hour of calling other stores etc.. etc.. telling the manager about what happened with employees. So they got on the phone and started calling all the local stores in town. Not one store had them in at all. Now my mind is starting to turn. What a Day so far, so I ask the manager, can I get my money back so I can go to another store and get another copy from somewhere else, when he said that He believes my side of the story, but can not give out cash, because it is just my side of the story.

They refund my money to a giftcard of the exact amount and the manager said he would call me when the first second the shipment comes in which he took my name and information. He also gave me his information as well. I was thinking of going out to another store and getting a copy with more money, but I decided I'm going to wait. This is just a day that someone did not want me to have vista ultimate so I'm stopping there and telling my experience... What a day! My heads hurts, I'm going to bed, I think. LOL

NEXT DAY UPDATE 02-02-07

11:20 am pst - just got a call, they had the had all of a sudden found 1 copy in the store; (1) Windows Vista Ultimate _upgrade signature edition that they are now holding for me. I'm having someone go down, to check it out to make sure everything is there, and not vandalized at all and is for sure it is the right copy. I'll update more once I find out the details.

11:36 am pst - just got the copy in hand and is now paying for it; and after paid for will open it right up to make sure everything is there.

11:38 am pst - just paid with the giftcard they gave me, and open it up right in front of them and everything is there, 2 disks and all the materials.

12:11 pm pst - just got the copy in my hands, very very nice. 2 dvd's and everything! problem solved

my buddy just sent this link to me to add to digg.com

http://www.digg.com/software/I_got_Jacked_...ore_I_bought_it

- just as a side note: i want to thank everyone for talking about this, you guys really made my day with all the replies and talking about it. i would have to say this has been the best community for any forums ive ever visited that really seemed to comment positively and actually care about what happened. thank you guys so much.

Edited by VipeNess

hey guys...

got my tax return today, and been planning on getting vista ultimate all day, call around, nothing, i finally find a store. tell them to hold it. go in grab it, mine. The store only had this last of it tonight. I pay, go home, to low and behold the win vista ultimate box was completely jacked. serial ripped off, all the inserts missing, dvd, everything. I went back to the store to show them, and I almost started laughing because they were looking at me like i did it myself, til they started to notice i was serious that i just spent all that money and i started getting superly upset; i guess that is the trigger for when they know someone is serious about it and not pulling their chain. took over an hour of calling other stores etc etc with employees and manager, not one store had them in at all at all. I tried to get cash back to go to another store to get it tonight, but they refunded my money to a giftcard and the manager said he would call me when the first second the shipment comes in. i was thinking of going out and spending some more money, but i just called it, it just wasnt the day to get vista ultimate... What a day! my heads hurt, im going to bed lol

I got a headache just reading that. Which store was it. Need another drink..

I got a headache just reading that. Which store was it. Need another drink..

i think i should not reveal the store; because they were very friendly with their service to do all that for me during that time, once they found out i was not the one that stole it, but just outta respect for all the employees and the managers that did help me with the process, im just going to keep it blank and not give hints

i didnt have to worry about that i had me product key emailed to me and downloaded the disk (by the way it was from microsoft not some illegal source.)

Damn VipeNess, I cried once when you called me and told me about this and I am gonna cry again now that I see this story in print :( Rotten luck bro', I still think the store (I'll call them BB) is the one responsible for this and that they just gave you the gift card to avoid a lawsuit. I remember awhile back someone bought a Sony Camcorder and he found a jar in the box filled with something....Not impressed with BB's reputation of hiring a bunch of low-life thieves!

Download the trial and hopefully someone will have it in stock in the next 30 days. :)

knowing me, if I download anything related vista ultimate, it will crash and blow up my computer... no way. not today microsoft.

knowing me, if I download anything related vista ultimate, it will crash and blow up my computer... no way. not today microsoft.

Nah dude, you have Travis to do that to your computer....by blowing on it!

Nah dude, you have Travis to do that to your computer....by blowing on it!

LOL yeah. My buddy is anti computer friendly, anything he touchs, breaks! We had just built a brand new computer for our lan center we had, and was top of the line, and the manager and me, where like, DONT TOUCH IT, and he kidding around said there is no way that this computer can crash or break from me touching it, see. He touched the thing and BAMMM, it shut off, and would turn back on. We had to replace all the parts in it, after 2 hours of building, configing installing games, everything; gone from the computer reaper himself. Sorry bro, that is why I fix your computer ;) BTW, the flooring in the lan center was completely tile with no carpet anywhere.

Sorry to hear about that.

I wondered when I went to Best Buy why Vista and Office 2007's were all locked up. Only the "Service Desk Edition" was outside of the locked cages. When I got home, I just noticed a strip of tape and a tag that slides the case easily out with the cd-key right there! I mean someone can just slide it out and take a snap-shot from their camera phone. Ugh.

Can Microsoft do anything right?

Did you buy the display box?

From my understanding, it was a copy just like any other copy; I had called over the phone for the customer service rep to hold it for me, while I packed up the family to go get our copy.

Can Microsoft do anything right?

When I bought my Windows Vista Home Premium from Wal-Mart at exactly midnight, It had see through tape on the right side holding it so the tab and side wouldn't move, but was easily remove-able without any true force, just a nail, slide and done. Was kinda surprised how it was packaged myself. I wish Microsoft would do something about the cases when it comes to enclosing them and adding some more protection to the cases.

There was a complaint I had seen earlier about the integrity of these boxes. Basically, it is very easy to open the box and take what is inside without leaving a clue about this. What was Microsoft thinking? No certificate of authenticity sticker anymore??

man .. that sucks ..

tought such a thing as software could not sell out. Resellers have had 2 weeks to stock up.

Can't believe how populair Vista is.

Thank god I got my Ultimate Retail from the only place I really trust: Microsoft Windows Vista launch party.

I work at a webshop myself and we take extra care in shipping Vista. So far no complaints.

Did you not see the messed up box when you bought it ?

I can understand why the store is giving you a hard time.

Hope they will restock soon so you can start to enjoy all the good things of Vista.

I go home after getting something to eat from a drivethru, and I take out the box and lay it in my chair getting ready to start the long process of getting everything ready to go. WAIT; that did not feel like my other box, the Windows Vista Premuim i bought 2 days ago, so I look at the box and in front of my eyes, low and behold the win vista ultimate box was completely jacked. Serial ripped off from inside, all the inserts missing, dvd, everything. even the top part where the codes are, everything.

... What? Why would you buy a box that has already been opened? Or did they switch yours? When? Didn't you personally take it to the cashier? Didn't you see it being put into a bag? Or did you pick a broken one and didn't notice it until you got home?

Glad I downloaded it from Microsoft.com No rushing, standing in line and hoping it's there. Saves me trouble like in this guys story.

You can download it from Microsoft? Is this a trial version that you later activated with a purchased key?

Please tell me more.

You can download it from Microsoft? Is this a trial version that you later activated with a purchased key?

Please tell me more.

no, there isnt a legitimate 30 day trial.

Actually there is a legit demo. If you have another full version vista cd you install that one. Once it comes up to the cd key you leave it blank. Then it asks you wich version of vista you bought and that you have 30 days to activate it.

It comes in handy if you bought a copy and are waiting for it to arrive.

If you know the command after 30 days are up you can extend it another 30 days 2 more times up till 120 days.