New DVD Drive in Xbox360 [BenQ VAD6038]

GaryOPA mailed in to let us know Microsoft has finally started using the new BenQ VAD6038 drive for the Xmas'06 production run (MFR date November 06 and up) to replace the Toshiba-Samsung and Hitachi-LG drives Microsoft dropped. Of course they didn't change all production lines to this new drive at the same time ... but starting November 2006 (Xbox360 MFR date) it's possible you'll get this new drive.

According to XBOXIZGOOD, who already got an Xbox360 with this new drive, the BenQ VAD6038 runs super-quiet compared to the TS and HLG drives and even loads stuff a bit faster and smoother.

The new drive is based on Philips design (remember the Philips VAD6037 drive was already found before in some Xbox360 dev kits (no AES key), never in retail 360s though).

It was already announced for a while the retail Xbox360 would soon get a new 'BenQ-LiteOn-Philips' drive (these 3 companies merged their ODD business).

Picture013.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Source - Xbox-scene

How do you fine out if you have one these without taking your xbox appart

Just check the console's manufacturing date which is on the back side of the main unit

Just check the console's manufacturing date which is on the back side of the main unit

I remember with the original Xbox you could see what drive you had by the opening in the middle of the drive tray. I wonder if it's the same with the 360.

If it's still under warrenty, you could accidentally damage the disc tray or something.....

No guarantee you'd get one of the newer models. You'll probably get one of the on-hand warranty replacement models.

No guarantee you'd get one of the newer models. You'll probably get one of the on-hand warranty replacement models.

and most likely they'll void their warranty as we know every trick you could use to get a new unit... :devil: :shifty: :whistle:

At least it seems the noise is due to the DVD drive and not the fans cooling the system or whatever. I'd be interested in a comparison between the older and newer drive with a sound test, some db numbers would be nice.

I bought mine in December of 06 does that mean I got this new drive, seems quiet to me but never heard another xbox, my friend has one but bought it same time as me.

I remember with the original Xbox you could see what drive you had by the opening in the middle of the drive tray. I wonder if it's the same with the 360.

You sure can. I'm not sure if I should link to the picture here or not, but if you do a Google image search for "360 dvd compare" you'll find a picture of the ejected trays for the Philips (presumably identical to the Benq), Hitachi and Samsung drives.

I bought mine in December of 06 does that mean I got this new drive, seems quiet to me but never heard another xbox, my friend has one but bought it same time as me.

No, your 360 would have been manufactured (assuming it's brand new) months before. I bought mine in December aswell, but it was manufactured in August.

Quit asking if your system is equipped with the new drive, just check the manufacture date at the back as the OP has said. To check look at the back of your console.

Quieter and faster? How gay. I could use that.. sometimes the load times in Gears can be a bit choppy. :(

well mine is manufactured in May 06 but i am not complaining.. i got a decently quiet system with 99% of the noise drowned out by my Amp and 6.1 speakers :) Crank that sucker during GOW and you don't even know the Xbox is on :) My neighbors are mad i got the new subwoofer :)