Wheres itunes for vista?!

How ridiculous is it that Apple expect people to wait for them to finish itunes before upgrading to vista? Unbelievably!

Apple has had plenty of time to upgrade itunes. On a side note, so did nvidia (my 7800gtx gfx card) and creative (my xfi xtrememusic soundcard).

As frustrating as it is, I believe Apple are the worst of the lot. They said they would release an updated itunes more than 2 weeks ago. They haven't. I still can't update my ipod video and various other tasks for the past 2 months.

In my opinion, I think that Apple is purposely doing this just to get people fed up with windows. If this is true, and I insist that this is only my opinion, it is the most childish and unprofessional thing to do. What company tells its users not to upgrade to a major new operating system because of a media player? Yes, you heard me, Apple to Windows iTunes users: Don't install Vista yet. That is utterly laughable.

As for my experience with Apple, I like their system, and can use it very well. I set my grandparents up with a Mac for its ease of you. Unmatched GUI and excellent usability. But I personally am a windows person and nothing will change that.

In conclusion, Steve Jobs, please be friendlier to windows users. I purchased your product. I use your program. Support your immediate family as much as your distant cousins.

Chris.

Edit: Itunes released 6 March 2007

Edited by skase

What's utterly laughable is how terrible iTunes always looks when running on Windows. You think they'd put a small amount of effort into making it look remotely like it belongs in Windows, especially on Vista (Where it looks even worse :(, where there are tons of options available thanks to Aero glass)

How ridiculous is it that Apple expect people to wait for them to finish itunes before upgrading to vista? Unbelievably!

Apple has had plenty of time to upgrade itunes. On a side note, so did nvidia (my 7800gtx gfx card) and creative (my xfi xtrememusic soundcard).

As frustrating as it is, I believe Apple are the worst of the lot. They said they would release an updated itunes more than 2 weeks ago. They haven't. I still can't update my ipod video and various other tasks for the past 2 months.

In my opinion, I think that Apple is purposely doing this just to get people fed up with windows. If this is true, and I insist that this is only my opinion, it is the most childish and unprofessional thing to do. What company tells its users not to upgrade to a major new operating system because of a media player? Yes, you heard me, Apple to Windows iTunes users: Don't install Vista yet. That is utterly laughable.

As for my experience with Apple, I like their system, and can use it very well. I set my grandparents up with a Mac for its ease of you. Unmatched GUI and excellent usability. But I personally am a windows person and nothing will change that.

In conclusion, Steve Jobs, please be friendlier to windows users. I purchased your product. I use your program. Support your immediate family as much as your distant cousins.

Chris.

I was frustrated using iTunes when I got my ipod video over a year ago... but soon got a software called Anapod. I just plug in my ipod and drag and drop songs/videos right into the player... no "synchronizing" or duplicate copy of songs on my computer just for the itunes software. Also, I can install anapod on any computer quickly and share my music without it getting wiped out :D.

One of the few softwares that I personally think was worth every penny.

I had a client who had a bad case of virus and had system wiped. So reinstall OS, and itune.. updated itunes and firmware on ipod... then (I think this is a result of updated firmware because past firmware updates didn't do this)... firmware update went ok... but itunes gave no option to keeps songs on the ipod and wiped the songs on it. That just sucks big time. Customer needed to rip all the cd's over again! :(

Itunes works fine on Vista for me. I've even used my ipod on it with no ill effects. Compared to Aero it does look awful though!

iTunes dosnt work with Vista yet, how did you get it to work?

It works on Vista, but there's a lot of GUI and Syncing issues.

I agree. I'm fed up with Apple's support of iTunes on Windows. Without PC users, the iPod wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is today. Get a Zune; they work fine with Vista.

Chris.

Hey guess what, Apple owes you NOTHING in this regard. When you buy an iPod, NOWHERE does it say "Compatible with Vista". YOU chose to upgrade knowing that iTunes/iPods wouldn't work.

Apple is not required to update iTunes to work with Vista. It makes smart business sense to, but by no means do they have to. In reality it's almost the same as Vista. Companies paid their employees to write drivers/software for a certain OS/OSes. TONS of products didn't (and some still don't) support XP when it first came out. GIVE IT TIME. Unless someone held a gun to your head and said they'd shoot you unless you upgraded to Vista, there is absolutely no reason why you NEED Vista. Want maybe, but need, no.

And you're wondering how ridiculous it is for Apple to say you should wait to upgrade? If you ABSOLUTELY, HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE need to use iTunes and update your iPod, then yes, you should wait. It's ridiculous of you to expect Apple to spend time and money updating a product to work on a new, recently released rival OS when it's not even marketed as working on Vista.

So chill the f' out.

By installing it? Works fine for me.

Yep. No problems here regarding functionality. I very rarely get an all black iTunes gui, but minimizing/maximizing corrects it. This has happened twice since my Home Premium install Feb 6th. Otherwise, it's just as reliable as it was on XP for me.

Yeah, iTunes works fine on Vista x86 and x64. It does have some issues but nothing major.

(All i want is better CPU and Memory Management for now)

Hey guess what, Apple owes you NOTHING in this regard. When you buy an iPod, NOWHERE does it say "Compatible with Vista". YOU chose to upgrade knowing that iTunes/iPods wouldn't work.

Apple is not required to update iTunes to work with Vista. It makes smart business sense to, but by no means do they have to. In reality it's almost the same as Vista. Companies paid their employees to write drivers/software for a certain OS/OSes. TONS of products didn't (and some still don't) support XP when it first came out. GIVE IT TIME. Unless someone held a gun to your head and said they'd shoot you unless you upgraded to Vista, there is absolutely no reason why you NEED Vista. Want maybe, but need, no.

And you're wondering how ridiculous it is for Apple to say you should wait to upgrade? If you ABSOLUTELY, HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE need to use iTunes and update your iPod, then yes, you should wait. It's ridiculous of you to expect Apple to spend time and money updating a product to work on a new, recently released rival OS when it's not even marketed as working on Vista.

So chill the f' out.

That is the most ignorant response ever. If every company had a "I'll do it later" approach of things, it would be an utter catastrophe. If I purchase their product, and they know in 3 months that a certain percentage of their customers might be upgrading their OS. They should work to make sure there product works with it. It’s called customer satisfaction. It is bad for the brand.

In theory, no one should have to wait. I paid the company money, I expect it to work with anything mainstream. It shouldn't have to be marketed to work with vista since it is marketed to work with WINDOWS. Since beta, its more than 6 months old. The betas are released to allow companies to use and test their product.

On another note, my podcasts corrupt when I download them. That is something I need itunes for. Otherwise, anapod is an excellent program.

That is the most ignorant response ever. If every company had a "I'll do it later" approach of things, it would be an utter catastrophe. If I purchase their product, and they know in 3 months that a certain percentage of their customers might be upgrading their OS. They should work to make sure there product works with it. It?s callecustomer satisfaction.b> It is bad for the brand.

In theory, no one should have to wait. I paid the company money, I expect it to work with anything mainstream. It shouldn't have to be marketed to work with vista since it is marketed to work with WINDOWS. Since beta, its more than 6 months old. The betas are released to allow companies to use and test their product.

On another note, my podcasts corrupt when I download them. That is something I need itunes for. Otherwise, anapod is an excellent program.

I'll admit I am somewhat an Apple fanboy though I don't own a single Apple computer yet. Just an iPod video. I am quite disappointed with Apple's support of Vista. Apple doesn't owe us anything for support of Vista. But lets face it Microsoft will be forcing Vista on the PC users.

The altitude of I'll wait seems evident in allot of hardware Vendors. I mention Logitech. I can't emphasize enough my frustration with their Vista support. Their aditude was to wait till the final. Well now here is the final and their drivers as much as they work consume allot of memory and are somewhat buggy.

I believe it would be in the best interest for Apple to get iTunes Vista compatibility out as soon as they can. Or at least update their consumers to why there is a delay instead of stating to hold off upgrading to Vista.

Thats just my opinion.

Craig Hindall

Indianapolis, Indiana USA

That is the most ignorant response ever. If every company had a "I'll do it later" approach of things, it would be an utter catastrophe. If I purchase their product, and they know in 3 months that a certain percentage of their customers might be upgrading their OS. They should work to make sure there product works with it. It’s called customer satisfaction. It is bad for the brand.

i completely agree with this post. let's at least look at this from several different vantage points:

1. apple decides not to update itunes at vista launch to undermine microsoft.

- this point makes a whole lot of sense because i had it in my head that this was the reason itunes 7.0.3 was not released. how many companies had vista ready products at launch? more than a few and most don't have the resources apple has to put out a simple update. flat out telling customers not to upgrade to a new operating system because you can't either meet a deadline or have the smarts enough to provide an update puts apple in a negative light. it's been long enough, put out the update. even now companies are rushing to get vista drivers/programs out the door. why? this is my next point.

2. apple is only screwing themselves.

- 65%. that's how much pc sales have increased since vista came out. of that market share, how many own an iPod or even bought one after they got their new pre-loaded vista computer? this only serves to slow down the sales of iPod's due to the fact that iTunes is the default program that makes it work. you need iTunes to not only transfer songs but to also update your iPod software. not being able to use the program needed for this will make people shy away from the iPod and possibly look somewhere else like the Zune.

3. not everyone is like us.

- we're a niche market, folks. we know what we're doing (most of the time) and we know what to get. this is why we're employed with either our families or in the work force as IT professionals. our side accounts for a small percentage of the massive pie that is the computer world. what we know, the family next door has no clue of. now, get those people who don't understand things to see how their newly bought iPod and software do not work correctly in vista and you've got a consumer problem. apple gets a bad name faster than microsoft does (because, in all reality, 90% of the programs work flawlessly in vista but why can't iTunes?) and sales suffer. in this respect, apple does owe a working and quality product. just as much as people say that microsoft owes it to us to provide a working OS, apple owes it to people who purchased an iPod a quality and working software program. i mean, doesn't apple market iTunes and iPod as holding hands running in a field together?

in essence, apple's flat out refusal at this point to provide nothing but a hotfix (which people have to actually research for) is a sham. vista came out, apple knew how much of a beast iPod's are for the pc market, and put a little FU in billy gates punch. too bad it's going to backfire on them.

Since Vista has been out for a while, my only conclusion is that Apple did it on purpose... but what for? Will be a mixed bag of results. Maybe a chance that people will be more encouraged to get a Leopard OS mac? Maybe a holdup because they want the iphone to work with itunes as soon as the new itunes will release?

Then again... what took nVidia soooo long?

Edited by nevets

At lease Nvidia and Creative have some "beta" releases. No such luck from Apple.

I had a hard time getting my newly bought iPod Nano to work with Vista. It was only after dual booting with XP and turning Disk Mode support on in my iPod Nano that I managed to make it work with Vista. (Not using iTunes now, I'm using Winamp.)

Oh, and I suspect iTunes messed up my drivers for Vista because I started to get driver requests for my HDDs after installing iTunes. So naturally, I did a reformat.

Chris.

:pinch: You should be laughing at yourself for not thinking to actually CHECK to see if all the latest software and drivers that you REQUIRE are even released, before you upgraded to an OS that has only JUST been released.

Why laugh at Apple? They can't just stop what they're doing and stop at nothing to get iTunes running on Vista for you, you'll have to wait. It's funny, coz Apple have all these people buying legal music off iTunes in the palm of their hands. What are you people gonna do? Change player? Your music won't work. And if you don't legally buy music, then you CAN just switch player for the time being. :p So just wait and stop whining.

Since Vista has been out for a while, my only conclusion is that Apple did it on purpose

Glad to see you were at that board meeting with the itunes dev team.

I missed it because I had a lunch appointment with Mike Eisner and you know how testy he can be when you cancel. :rolleyes:

:pinch: You should be laughing at yourself for not thinking to actually CHECK to see if all the latest software and drivers that you REQUIRE are even released, before you upgraded to an OS that has only JUST been released.

Why laugh at Apple? They can't just stop what they're doing and stop at nothing to get iTunes running on Vista for you, you'll have to wait. It's funny, coz Apple have all these people buying legal music off iTunes in the palm of their hands. What are you people gonna do? Change player? Your music won't work. And if you don't legally buy music, then you CAN just switch player for the time being. :p So just wait and stop whining.

I believe we should at least have a right to know what is going on. I mean we paid good money for their products!

Here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305042

Seems like a fair and thoughtful response to me . . . you're asked for a little bit of patience, is all.

I especially like this little bit:

Upgrading to Windows Vista

If you are upgrading from Windows XP or 2000 to Windows Vista prior to the next release of iTunes, here are a few steps that will improve your experience when syncing your iPod or playing iTunes Store purchases once upgraded to Windows Vista.

Deauthorize all iTunes Store accounts.

Enable Disk Use on all iPod models.

Uninstall iTunes.

Perform a clean install of Windows Vista (Highly recommended but not required).

Reinstall the latest version of iTunes.

Open iTunes.

Choose Authorize Computer from the Store menu in iTunes.

Customers who have upgraded to Windows Vista and are still experiencing issues playing iTunes Store purchases should download and run the iTunes Repair Tool for Vista after re-installing iTunes 7.0.2. Click here for more information about this tool.

I meant the status on the development on a Windows Vista compatible versions. And I had problem enabling Disk Use on iPods - iTunes and Windows, for that matter, could not even detect the iPod. I get some wizard asking for drivers.

(Fixed it with dual-booting with Windows XP though.)

i completely agree with this post. let's at least look at this from several different vantage points:

1. apple decides not to update itunes at vista launch to undermine microsoft.

- this point makes a whole lot of sense because i had it in my head that this was the reason itunes 7.0.3 was not released. how many companies had vista ready products at launch? more than a few and most don't have the resources apple has to put out a simple update. flat out telling customers not to upgrade to a new operating system because you can't either meet a deadline or have the smarts enough to provide an update puts apple in a negative light. it's been long enough, put out the update. even now companies are rushing to get vista drivers/programs out the door. why? this is my next point.

2. apple is only screwing themselves.

- 65%. that's how much pc sales have increased since vista came out. of that market share, how many own an iPod or even bought one after they got their new pre-loaded vista computer? this only serves to slow down the sales of iPod's due to the fact that iTunes is the default program that makes it work. you need iTunes to not only transfer songs but to also update your iPod software. not being able to use the program needed for this will make people shy away from the iPod and possibly look somewhere else like the Zune.

3. not everyone is like us.

- we're a niche market, folks. we know what we're doing (most of the time) and we know what to get. this is why we're employed with either our families or in the work force as IT professionals. our side accounts for a small percentage of the massive pie that is the computer world. what we know, the family next door has no clue of. now, get those people who don't understand things to see how their newly bought iPod and software do not work correctly in vista and you've got a consumer problem. apple gets a bad name faster than microsoft does (because, in all reality, 90% of the programs work flawlessly in vista but why can't iTunes?) and sales suffer. in this respect, apple does owe a working and quality product. just as much as people say that microsoft owes it to us to provide a working OS, apple owes it to people who purchased an iPod a quality and working software program. i mean, doesn't apple market iTunes and iPod as holding hands running in a field together?

in essence, apple's flat out refusal at this point to provide nothing but a hotfix (which people have to actually research for) is a sham. vista came out, apple knew how much of a beast iPod's are for the pc market, and put a little FU in billy gates punch. too bad it's going to backfire on them.

Thanks Salterbomb, you summed it up perfectly.