Windows Live Mail Desktop to become update to Vista's Windows Mail

Source

I've been using Windows Live Mail desktop beta for a while now and found it odd there has been no update since February. Apparently this is why.

There hasn't been much news on Windows Live Mail desktop since 2006, with a minor update being released in February. With most Windows Live watchers expecting a v1 release at the beginning of the year, many are wondering what is happening to the product. Dare Obasanjo even joked at a rename to Outlook Express Live.

It seems to be that Microsoft is rethinking its mail client strategy, with the belief that two distinct free mail clients for Windows Vista (Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail desktop) is not the way to move forward. Instead, Mail desktop will evolve to become an enhanced Windows Mail client, which when installed will replace Vista's Windows Mail. For those familiar with Mail desktop there will not be a huge change however for those using Windows Mail they will benefit from the integration of Live services.

While the name and details of the new product are unconfirmed, hopefully we should soon see a beta of Windows Live Mail for Vista.

If this is true, it's good news for Vista users. Windows Mail is nice, but a bit limited. I like checking my Windows Live Hotmail account from my desktop. If they combine the two products, I'll be pretty happy - but what happens to users who have WLMd on an XP computer?

Interesting news, a bit odd that it's dated March 12 though. I'm more interested on how Chris got his hands on the information. Scrapping Windows Mail seems perfectly fine to me :)

If "Windows Live Mail desktop" becomes "Windows Live Mail for Vista", then what about those people still on XP? WLMD worked perfectly (well...supports) Windows XP. Is it going to replace Outlook Express too then?

Pewp, I just finished instaling Windows Live Mail.

Oh well, by the time that happens I'll hopefully be on a new Vista PC.

my question would be the 2 seperate integration methods:

windows mail - windows calendar - windows contacts

windows live mail desktop - hotmail calendar and hotmail address book

how would they combine them?

This would be really great. Though I use Outlook 2007 as its better than anything out there, Windows Mail sure does suck the big one.

my question would be the 2 seperate integration methods:

windows mail - windows calendar - windows contacts

windows live mail desktop - hotmail calendar and hotmail address book

how would they combine them?

Exactly! I've been waiting for the longest time for MS to combine their online services (calendar, mail, etc.) with Windows, and Windows Vista is the perfect opportunity to do it... I don't know how many times I brought it up during the Vista beta cycle, but they never did anything about it. Hell, they even took http mail support out of Windows Mail... I think that was a stupid move.

Windows Live Mail Desktop's Calendar is nonexistent - it links to the old Hotmail calendar. I would love Windows Calendar, Windows Contacts, and Windows Mail integration.

I knew about this a while ago (on March 12 when the news came out) and it is excellent news!

I always thought it was stupid of Microsoft having 3 e-mail software applications (WLMail desktop, Windows Mail and Microsoft OutLook).

I thought it was absolutely stupid!

The only e-mail services MS should have are: Windows Live Hotmail (Should be called Windows Live Mail) and Windows Live Mail desktop.

I think Windows Live Mail desktop would make an excellent update to Windows Mail and I also beleive tey should update the Windows Contacts with the Windows Live Contacts out of WLMd (and when Hotmail's calendar is updated, they should update Windows Calendar with that as well).

I just think it is stupid Microsoft having so many of the same product when they could focus on one and focus on improving that one. That "one" should be Windows Live. It is amazing service and would be much better if t was integrated into Windows Vista in the ways I have suggested and more.

What do you guys think?

This could be bad news depending on how much they integrate and how much they don't.

Windows Mail definitely needs Hotmail/Live support.

It really needs to keep the colour customisation.

It has to keep Mails customisation of tool-bar.