Vista Games Explorer

Does anyone know where I can get more information on the Games Explorer? I've been reinstalling my games after upgrading to Vista and I notice some games automatically add themselves to it when run and others don't. I know there's a new GDF file that you can make with information on the game. Are these only available automatically? Where does one put it?

Any information you may have would be helpful.

Quick thing I found: http://www.tinyscreenfuls.com/2007/03/wind...ibility-issues/

Has anyone figured out a reliable way to get game information into the explorer?

Yes, finally.

I have found the most important part to get your BoxArt to display, is to have the correct "name" for the image path.

I have the following--

C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer\GamesBoxArt\{E0B98C1F-838B-46E7-A009-234B66DF3B11}.jpg

Notice the Hash # (E0B98....) This is the registry location as well.

So what I do is find the folder ( C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer\GamesBoxArt ) and place all my BoxArt in there. Then I find my corresponding hash registry entry for the game -

{HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\S-1-5-21-............\E0B98....}

Right click and create a new "string", with a name "BoxArt" (no quotes) and a value of ---

C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer\GamesBoxArt\{E0B98C1F-838B-46E7-A009-234B66DF3B11}.jpg

And BAM! You got it!

I hope this works for everyone, as not being able to easily add box art, is a pain in the butt.

----

It should look similar to this.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\S-1-5-21-387978295-2329850261-3155547949-1000\{E0B98C1F-838B-46E7-A009-234B66DF3B11}]

"ConfigInstallType"="3"
"ConfigApplicationPath"="F:\Games\GTA San Andreas\"
"ConfigGDFBinaryPath"="C:\Windows\system32\GameUXLegacyGDFs.dll"
"ApplicationId"="{748eedd0-3996-4d53-bb39-b6c87bd25035}"
"AppExePath"="F:\Games\GTA San Andreas\gta_sa.exe"
"LastScanTime"=hex(b):eb,e8,c1,c8,2a,81,c7,01
"BoxArt"="C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer\GamesBoxArt\{E0B98C1F-838B-46E7-A009-234B66DF3B11}.jpg"

You can also add new string entries such as:

DeveloperName

DeveloperUrl

PublisherName

Genre

Title

(extra note: trademark symbol = Alt+0153 )

Edited by M4tt3r

Vista Games explorer, along with the Vista performance rating is a waste of time. Just use shorcuts!!! Who cares about your system's rating as long as you can do what you need to do!

How is it a waste of time? Checking your WEI takes what, 1 minute? Why not see all the games you got and what the case looks like? Nothing wrong with that.

I'm going to have to quote the great Neowinian DKAngel

"the rating means nothing anyways. its more ###### factor than anything else"

Or a new rating system to see what software can run on computer thats eaiser to look at for most non-super computer users. Its eaiser to read "minumun" and "recommended" specs for computer programs with the new index.

Its only a "###### factor" to those who make it like that. Like showing your computer's specs in a signature on a online forum to show how cool you are.

the system specs are for tech support purposes, in case I need help with a system specific issue. Hey its not like I have 2x 8800 GTX SLI, that would be VERY cool!

Edited by -Pats

the system specs are for tech support purposes, in case I need help with a system specific issue. Hey its not like I have 2x 8800 GTX SLI, that would be VERY cool!

I should have said i have signatures turned off in my prefs so I didnt know you had your system's specs in your signature. But like you said you use it for tech support, others could use it for the same reason and/or showing off.But this is a computer tech forum so its the norm and im sure the Vista rating will slip into the sigs over time.

Yes, finally.

I have found the most important part to get your BoxArt to display, is to have the correct "name" for the image path.

I have the following--

Notice the Hash # (E0B98....) This is the registry location as well.

So what I do is find the folder ( C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer\GamesBoxArt ) and place all my BoxArt in there. Then I find my corresponding hash registry entry for the game -

{HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\S-1-5-21-............\E0B98....}

Right click and create a new "string", with a name "BoxArt" (no quotes) and a value of ---

And BAM! You got it!

I hope this works for everyone, as not being able to easily add box art, is a pain in the butt.

----

It should look similar to this.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\S-1-5-21-387978295-2329850261-3155547949-1000\{E0B98C1F-838B-46E7-A009-234B66DF3B11}]

"ConfigInstallType"="3"
"ConfigApplicationPath"="F:\Games\GTA San Andreas\"
"ConfigGDFBinaryPath"="C:\Windows\system32\GameUXLegacyGDFs.dll"
"ApplicationId"="{748eedd0-3996-4d53-bb39-b6c87bd25035}"
"AppExePath"="F:\Games\GTA San Andreas\gta_sa.exe"
"LastScanTime"=hex(b):eb,e8,c1,c8,2a,81,c7,01
"BoxArt"="C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer\GamesBoxArt\{E0B98C1F-838B-46E7-A009-234B66DF3B11}.jpg"

You can also add new string entries such as:

DeveloperName

DeveloperUrl

PublisherName

Genre

Title

(extra note: trademark symbol = Alt+0153 )

Thanks for the information. Do you actually name the box art using the hash name?

Thanks for the information. Do you actually name the box art using the hash name?

NP.

Yes, the whole hash. For example. {E0B98C1F-838B-46E7-A009-234B66DF3B11}.jpg