Files w/ no File Types

I was wondering if anyone knew what these files were, if they're necessary, and if now, how to get rid of them. They have no file type and nothing happens when I double click or right click on them.

post-220158-1177749300.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Vista got strange anomalies. My Server Service stopped working today with no reason. On top of that when I right click on My Computer Properties it can't see CPU or Memory installed or Rating. What did I do to the system? Nothing...just played flat out 2, quit the game and bum.

What a piece of **** OS. The problem like this i never had with XP. So, what i'm supposed to do? I guess reinstall the whole damn thing.

VISTA = WINDOWS MILLENIUM EDITION II. :angry:

Those aren't files. They're shell extentions. It looks like you've got a screwed up shell extention installed. Anything that creates a 'psuedo' folder in Computer/My Computer uses one to accomplish it. Nero, WIDCOMM, etc.

You should be able to use Autoruns to figure out what is loaded in explorer, and locate the one that's causing the problem.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx

Give us a list of all the extentions loaded by explorer.

Or you can try this tool:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

I have the program, but I'm not to keen as to how to use it. I'm in the 'Explorer' tab and looking at the section under: "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved". Is that what you're looking for? If it is, is there way to log all the entries or do I just type or screen capture them?

Can you also export the following key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace

This key should contain registered items in My Computer, like "Messenger Shared Folders", etc.

You have installed following programs, which have installed shell extensions:

• 7-Zip
  • Alcohol
  • AVG 7
  • iTunes
  • Synaptics Touchpad software

• "WipeExt" (Ace Utilities, "Tools like Registry Cleaner, Disk Cleaner, Duplicate File Finder,
    Internet History Eraser, Startup Manager, etc. ")
  • "SampleView", ShellvRTF, XSS, c:\windows\system32\shellvrtf.dll. Don't know what this is or what it's purpose is.

Have you used the Ace Utilities' registry cleaner? Sometimes, these cleaners can cause more damage, than optimizing the registry.