Public/private network issues with Vista and VMWare

Hello.

I am running Vista Ultimate and VMWare 6, and I have encountered a strange problem. VMWare installs it's own virtual network drivers, which appear in Network and Sharing Center as their own connections. However, it automatically sets them as a Public network, which disables some file and printer sharing settings. The reason this causes a problem is that I share all my music to my Xbox 360 (over my physical wireless network adapter), but the 360 can't access the music when the virtual networks are set to Public. Sure, I can use the "Customize" option and change the virtual networks to Private, but they just reset back to Public after a restart.

Is there a way to permanently set these as Private, and maybe even change the name of the network so it doesn't appear as "Unidentified?"

post-102394-1180063222_thumb.png

I would suggest disabling dhcp & nat and removing the vmware adpaters... I find them to be a nuisance... you can just use the built-in bridging in vmware to allow network access...

Edit -> Virtual Network Settings... remove the adapters, tell the dhcp & nat services to "stop"...

• 3 months later...
Hello.

I am running Vista Ultimate and VMWare 6, and I have encountered a strange problem. VMWare installs it's own virtual network drivers, which appear in Network and Sharing Center as their own connections. However, it automatically sets them as a Public network, which disables some file and printer sharing settings. The reason this causes a problem is that I share all my music to my Xbox 360 (over my physical wireless network adapter), but the 360 can't access the music when the virtual networks are set to Public. Sure, I can use the "Customize" option and change the virtual networks to Private, but they just reset back to Public after a restart.

Is there a way to permanently set these as Private, and maybe even change the name of the network so it doesn't appear as "Unidentified?"

'

Check out this recently written article showing how to address this issue:

http://www.frameworkx.com/contentblogdetai...g=57&id=690