root login and wireless dectection

So I downloaded the KDE .5 RC1 today and tried it out on my laptop. First, the detection of my onboard ati video card was nill so I had a 4:3 resolution streched on my widescreen.

2nd: I could not located my wireless network (didn't try wired) but when I went into control center and to wireless it asked for a root password. That brings me to gripe:

2.5: With root disabled some control panel advanced tabs are unable to be modified and its a pain to goto a command and do sudo passwd root enable every time I want to boot up on a live cd.

back to 2: my laptop has a very common wireless adapter, recognized by knoppix and ubuntu, is based on the broadcom chip. Sorry I have no other details besides that.

3: this is more of a feature request. I would be using this cd for one of 2 tasks: helping me out with Window recovery or recovery of a harddrives or network (wireless and wired) monitoring. So some ntfs auto mounting (read/write?) and wireshark (and other tools) would be a great addition to this cd.

Thanks! I'll write that down to set a default root password in the next version of Shift...for now, open up Konsole and type

sudo passwd root

Set up a password.

And thanks for the feature request. All voices are heard!

• 3 weeks later...

I also have had no connection - with rc2. The network card is ULi PCI Fast Ethernet Controller to Bekin wireless router to Motorola Surfboard 5100 modem. Both Ubuntu and Freespire connected OK after install.

I also have had no connection - with rc2. The network card is ULi PCI Fast Ethernet Controller to Bekin wireless router to Motorola Surfboard 5100 modem. Both Ubuntu and Freespire connected OK after install.

Thank you... we will look into adding more drivers and support on the next go round.

• 2 months later...

In our FAQ section is a paragraph describing what to do if you can not connect to the internet:

What if the Live CD does not connect to the internet?

We have created a script that should detect and run your net hardware. If this does not happen, simply open your terminal window and type:

sudo /sbin/ifup -a

I wonder if you had a chance to try it?