Slipstream SATA Drivers into XP?

I have my XP disk saved onto my hard drive (C:\XP) and I was wondering how to slipstream the drivers so that i can format my hdd and install a fresh copy of xp WITHOUT using a floppy drive or external floppy drive, and what drivers I should get...

Specs:

1.6GHz Core Duo

1GB DDR2 RAM

120GB SATA HDD

In device manager, under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, I have:

• Intel® 8280IG (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
  • Intel® 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller
  • Primary IDE Channel

and under Hard Drives, it has:

• WDC W1200BEVS-00LAT0

i have never had to install sata drivers to install windows??? and all my computers have sata now

what sort of sata drive are you using, or are you using raid of some sort??

Look at the link I posted. There's one example of a SATA driver that is not on the XP disc.

Look at the link I posted. There's one example of a SATA driver that is not on the XP disc.

that link points to a sata raid driver not a plain old sata driver?

i know on my box, if i want to use the raid i have to install the driver on floppy, if i don't want the raid i just don't use the floppy driver, well thats my box, which is why i asked if he was using raid of some sort

We can debate it or you can trust I may know of what I speak. If you find what is considered a "plain SATA driver", please post it here. I'd like to see one these days that doesn't have a RAID tag on it.

I have my XP disk saved onto my hard drive (C:\XP) and I was wondering how to slipstream the drivers so that i can format my hdd and install a fresh copy of xp WITHOUT using a floppy drive or external floppy drive, and what drivers I should get...

Specs:

1.6GHz Core Duo

1GB DDR2 RAM

120GB SATA HDD

• Intel? 8280IG (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
  • Intel? 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller
  • Primary IDE Channel

• WDC W1200BEVS-00LAT0

Start here. MSFN Unattended Windows

We can debate it or you can trust I may know of what I speak or you could have explained it nice and clearly like agent smith did below. If you find what is considered a "plain SATA driver", please post it here. I'd like to see one these days that doesn't have a RAID tag on it.

That was my point i am not debating it, i have installed windows on at the very least 20 machines with sata drives without having to install any driver usinf a floppy, the only time i needed a driver was when i used the RAID, i am saying you only need a driver if you are using third party or raid controllers, hell it says it when you install it.

if he doesn't wan to use RAID then he shouldn't need the driver

p.s. i think those edits make your statement a little better.

Edited by whocares78

That was my point i am not debating it, i have installed windows on at the very least 20 machines with sata drives without having to install any driver usinf a floppy, the only time i needed a driver was when i used the RAID, i am saying you only need a driver if you are using third party or raid controllers, hell it says it when you install it.

You are incorrect.

Older versions of SATA XP will not recognize and thus why you have to have the driver on a floppy. Raid or no raid.

Newer versions of SATA XP will see without any issue.

Specs:

1.6GHz Core Duo

1GB DDR2 RAM

120GB SATA HDD

• Intel? 8280IG (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
  • Intel? 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller
  • Primary IDE Channel

• WDC W1200BEVS-00LAT0

I have the same problem as you, however nLite didn't see my SATA driver at all, wrong extension so nLite wont load it:hmmm:m:

You are incorrect.

Older versions of SATA XP will not recognize and thus why you have to have the driver on a floppy. Raid or no raid.

Newer versions of SATA XP will see without any issue.

Thankyou, thats what i was tryign to work out, i would have used a XP with SP2 disk to install, i am guessing thats got the new version on it

p.s. i think those edits make your statement a little better.

After reading this post, I got kinda freaked, as I've "installed" ( or simply connected) a lot of SATA and SATA II drives installed windows XP pro SP2 succesfully without having to slipstream drivers in it. This from an OEM Sp2 disk.

In short, Do you need or not drivers in order to succesfully "use" a SATA drive WHILE not in raid ?

After reading this post, I got kinda freaked, as I've "installed" ( or simply connected) a lot of SATA and SATA II drives installed windows XP pro SP2 succesfully without having to slipstream drivers in it. This from an OEM Sp2 disk.

In short, Do you need or not drivers in order to succesfully "use" a SATA drive WHILE not in raid ?

deleted all that casue agaent smith explains it better :) on the next page

Edited by whocares78

Thankyou, thats what i was tryign to work out, i would have used a XP with SP2 disk to install, i am guessing thats got the new version on it

You are not understanding what I am saying. On one of my computers here at home, it is an early version of the SATA hardware. The newer SATA drives are using a newer firmware and design that XP and Vista will see. XP SP2 SP1 or whatever it will not see it without a floppy with the driver. I just did a reformat on that PC the other day with SP2 slipstreamed in the OEM disc. I had to still load the floppy for XP to see it.

You will still need to slipstream the drivers to the disc if using XP. Vista on the other hand, should see it no matter what due to having the driver support on it.

Edited by AgEnTsMiTh

You are not understanding what I am saying. On one of my computers here at home, it is an early version of the SATA hardware. The newer SATA drives are using a newer firmware and design that XP and Vista will see. XP SP2 SP1 or whatever it will not see it without a floppy with the driver. I just did a reformat on that PC the other day with SP2 slipstreamed in the OEM disc. I had to still load the floppy for XP to see it.

oK now i get it Thanks again for a nice clear explanation :)

that is what i was thinking. i you are using SP1...slipstream SP2 into your XP Disc and see what happens from there. just something else to try. if you have not that is.

that is what i was thinking. i you are using SP1...slipstream SP2 into your XP Disc and see what happens from there. just something else to try. if you have not that is.

no it depends on how old your drive is, nothign to do with which version as i thought. if it'sa n old drive and doens't get seen you will need the floppy driver

I'm trying it anyway. 78% so far, i'll let you know if it works for me

I'm trying it anyway. 78% so far, i'll let you know if it works for me

if windows setup sees your drive then your set :)

it seems to come down to the HDD, whether you need it or not :)

ICH7 and 8 are pretty new and I had an XP install fail to see them more than once.

The standard interface for SATA controllers is Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI), which allows advanced features of SATA such as hot plug and Native Command Queuing. If AHCI is not enabled by the motherboard and chipset, SATA controllers typically operate in "IDE emulation" mode which does not allow features of devices to be accessed that are not supported by the ATA/IDE standard. Windows device drivers that are labeled as SATA are usually running in IDE emulation mode unless they explicitly state that they are AHCI. Windows XP does not officially support AHCI although some proprietary device drivers may allow it.[citation needed] Windows Vista and the current versions of Mac OS X and Linux [1] have native support for AHCI.[citation needed]

At the device level, SATA and PATA devices are completely incompatible—they cannot be interconnected. At the application level, SATA devices are specified to look and act like PATA devices.[7] In early motherboard implementations of SATA, backward compatibility allowed SATA drives to be used as drop-in replacements for PATA drives, even without native (driver-level) support at the operating system level.

From wiki, seems to explain it all :)

if it's operating in ide emulation you won't need drivers :)

if windows setup sees your drive then your set :)

it seems to come down to the HDD, whether you need it or not :)

Worked for me, it felt great when i saw setup load the RAID drivers. Goodbye Vista. :rofl: