Vista's recently used program list is a liar.

WTF is this? I don?t use any of the programs listed in the recently use programs list, yet everytime I reboot, there they are. And the programs that I actually use are no longer in the list. How do I correct this?

Thanks!

post-52892-1194843019_thumb.jpg

a) Make sure that "Right Click Taskbar > Properties > Start Menu > Store and display a list of recently opened programs" is checked

b) If that doesn't work, right click each of those programs and remove them from the list

a) Make sure that "Right Click Taskbar > Properties > Start Menu > Store and display a list of recently opened programs" is checked

b) If that doesn't work, right click each of those programs and remove them from the list

Thanks but I have already verified a) and completed b). Neither made a difference. It works just fine until I reboot. Then when I reboot the programs that you see in the list above are automatically repopulated.

The recently used programs list has never been accurate for me in either Vista or XP. This same statement applies to the amount of disk space the Add or Remove Programs applet reports in XP and possibly Vista.

I do what Slimy mentioned: add my most frequently used applications to the list. For some programs, this is a must if you want to type in an app's name in the search box to launch it. Example: install Winamp. Try typing "wina" and pressing enter. You'll accidentally launch Winamp's uninstaller. Now if you pin Winamp to the Start menu it will have higher priority over "Uninstall Winamp."

I had the same problem with mine, and this fix worked for me:

Open regedit, and navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

In that registry key, create a new DWORD value named StartMenuInit

Edit the new entry and set the value to 3

Close regedit and reboot

Also be aware that Vista builds the MRU list slowly - this means it might not necessarily be too accurate at first, but gets better over time...

Hmm, that's weird for sure, i sorta have that going on too but mine is only with the Backup and Restore thingy. It keeps coming back even tho i chose remove from list and never actually use it. This didn't happen before (formatted like 4 times since then) and happens with RTM and SP1 v.275 so i dunno.

It's not a "Most Recently Used" list. It's a "Most Frequently Used."

If yours is resetting on reboot or something, then you've got some kind of problem - possibly registry corruption, or messed up permissions somewhere.

Some good info on how it works:

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/...18/3369797.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/...11/3215739.aspx

I actually have mine disabled and just manually add the ones I know I will use often :p

That is exactly what I do too. Set it to 0 and pin what I want to stay there.

WTF is this? I don't use any of the programs listed in the recently use programs list, yet everytime I reboot, there they are. And the programs that I actually use are no longer in the list. How do I correct this?

Thanks!

That list is showing the default programs that the list is set to show on the first boot of the OS.

Me thinks someone has done either some serious reg tweaking or installed a customized version of the OS.

Anyone notice how that list seems to give preference to Microsoft software?

Mine does that sometimes, however it usually does jumps about randomly (i.e. as it stands, i have SmartFTP and xchat in 4th and 5th respectively. If i open Word, Word jumps up to 4th from nowhere, however, if i then launch excel, excel replaces word on the list, rather than shoving SmartFTP out).

It makes absolutely no sense to me :s

Anyone notice how that list seems to give preference to Microsoft software?

absolutely. i've noticed that it takes quite a bit longer for frequently used 3rd party software to appear in that list than a Microsoft program. 1 load of an MS program is often enough to put it there.

absolutely. i've noticed that it takes quite a bit longer for frequently used 3rd party software to appear in that list than a Microsoft program. 1 load of an MS program is often enough to put it there.

I concur :p just wanted to add another confirmation to that suspicion...

It doesn't give preference to Microsoft software.... however this list is based on what you click on in the start menu.... and then some of the automated programs like backup (after a creating a system restore point) and update will popup (after checking).... However if you run programs via desktop icons, then they won't be added.

It doesn't give preference to Microsoft software.... however this list is based on what you click on in the start menu.... and then some of the automated programs like backup (after a creating a system restore point) and update will popup (after checking).... However if you run programs via desktop icons, then they won't be added.

BS. I have to start up Firefox at least two dozen times before it starts showing up on that list.

BS. I have to start up Firefox at least two dozen times before it starts showing up on that list.

and yet media player classic appears on mine right away, along with adobe reader, avira, itunes, etc. It all depends on how many times you've been using the other applications on the list... if you've used firefox less times than what's on the bottom, of course it's going to take a few or many starts before it appears.

.... however this list is based on what you click on in the start menu....

I know, but I've always felt that the OS fudged the tallies; click on 3rd party app = increase count x1, click on MS app = increase count x2. :p

Weird, I don't have the major problem that you are having, but I have the same issue as Kodexero. The stupid "Back Up and Restore" program always shows up even though I get rid of it. It's really weird. You'd think Microsoft would get rid of these little bugs easily. They seem to overlook it. It's a problem on all three of our Vista computers here at home. All three always show that "Back Up and Restore" even though we never use it. Goodluck and post it if you have solutions, aside from hiding the icon!