J.J. Abrams' Star Trek

Find out when we first meet Kirk in Abram?s Trek plus alternate timelines and time travel explained! If you want to stay as spoiler free as possible this article is NOT FOR YOU!

I can?t stress how big of a potential spoiler the following information is. If you want to remain spoiler fDO NOT READ ANY FURTHER.

On the same token, we have not been able to get confirmation from the studio (not like we were expecting to) so for now this information is just rumor.

We?ve got two different sources on this one. These are the same sources that gave us the intel on Karl Urban cast as Bones and Chris Hemsworth joining on. Now, they have both given us some very juicy tidbits on how this whole time travel/alternate timeline is going dLast warning, Spoilers ahead!3;

If I had to poll some Star Trek fans and ask them which episode of TOS (that?s The Original Series for those of you that don?t know, and by the way, if you didn?t know that you shouldn?t be reading this article, did you know Britney lost her kids? OMG) is their favorite I can guarantee you that one episode will stand out above the rest.

Before I tell which one I have take my hat off to Bob and Alex for making an effort to keep continuity with Star Trek canon, showing an homage to the original show yet introducing Trek to whole new generation is no easy task.

One of the most critically acclaimed episodes from TOS aired back on April 6, 1967, it was the 28th and penultimate episode of the first season of Trek.

The episode?s name is The City on the Edge of Forever. You guys know this one, the episode where Joan Collins guest starred as Edith Keeler and the crew of the Enterprise discovers a portal through space and time. Bones (Dr. McCoy) eventually ends up messing up history and it?s up to Kirk and Spock to set things straight.

Here is an overall plot for the original episode: On Star Date 3134.0, the Enterprise investigates temporal disturbances centered on a nearby planet. During the investigation, Dr. McCoy accidentally injects himself with an overdose of a drug, causing him to become violently paranoid. Delusional, Doctor McCoy flees from the bridge and beams down to the planet.

Captain Kirk forms a landing party made up of two security guards, himself, Spock, Scotty, and Uhura. Spock finds that the source of the time distortions is an ancient ring of a glowing, stone-like material. The ring speaks and identifies itself as the "Guardian of Forever", explaining that it is a doorway to any time and place ? with periods of history displayed in the opening. The team soon locates McCoy; however, he runs away and leaps through the portal before anyone can stop him. Suddenly, everything seems to shift and the landing party loses contact with the Enterprise. The Guardian then informs the landing party that history has just been altered and the Enterprise has disappeared because the time line chWikipediaiWikipediaWikipedia

So what does this 40 year old episode have to do with JJ Abrams? Trek film? Again, in case you didn?SPOILERS AHEAD!>SPOILERS AHEAD!

Romulans from the future, most likely TNG time frame lead by a Romulan named Nero, played by Eric Bana, finds the City on the Edge of Forever and uses the Guardian of Forever to go back in time and kill the person who has been the biggest thorn in the Romulan?s side and is crucial to the success of the Federation and Starfleet, James T. Kirk.

Mr. Spock, played by Leonard Nimoy in the original timeline, becomes aware of Nero?s plan (not clear on the details of how he knows) and also goes back in time to protect his best friend, James Kirk. This is where the Old Spock (Nimoy) and Young Spock (Quinto) meet.

Old Spock warns young Spock about Nero?s plans and it?s up to them to protect the future Captain Kirk and also help try to protect the timeline and the future of the Federation and Starfleet.

This happens before Kirk and Spock form their life long friendship and bond. We have been told that there is a very cool scene where Old Spock tells the Young Spock about his friendship with Kirk, so while this may sound ?illogical? (pun intended) it?s been described as very emotional.

Hmm?does Old Spock die in this film? I honestly don?t know but I am finally getting excited about this film (despite the casting mishaps).

Ok, so when do we see Kirk for the very first time? The first time the audience is introduced to James T. Kirk is while he is taking a certain test that Starfleet cadets are required to take, the Kobayashi Maru.

The Kobayashi Maru scenario was an infamous no-win scenario that was part of the curriculum for command-track cadets at Starfleet Academy in the 23rd century. It was primarily used to assess a cadet's discipline, character, and command capabilities when facing an impossible situation.

In the scenario, a cadet was placed in command of a starship on patrol near the Klingon Neutral Zone. The starship would receive a distress signal from the SS Kobayashi Maru, a civilian freighter that had been disabled in the zone after having struck a gravitic mine. If the cadet chose to enter the neutral zone in violation of treaties, the starship would be confronted by three Klingon K't'inga-class battlecruisers.

The test was considered a no-win scenario because it was impossible for the cadet to simultaneously save the Kobayashi Maru, avoid a fight with the Klingons, and escape from the neutral zone with the starship intact.

In the 2250s, James T. Kirk became the first (and only known) cadet to ever beat the no-win scenario. After taking the test and failing twice, Kirk took the test a third time after surreptitiously reprogramming the computer to make it possible to win the scenario.

Kirk got a commendation for "original thinking", and later commented wistfully that his stunt "had the virtue of never having been tried." Kirk would later defend his "cheating" by arguing that he didn't believe in the no-win scenario. Ironically, Kirk also defended the test itself by sugMemory Alphae face deEnd of Spoilersy Alpha[/b]e

End of Spoilers

Stay tuned to the IESB as we continue to bring you the latest Star Trek news.

Source: IESB.net

Ok, that sounds awesome. Sorry. I want this movie now.

It brings TNG era and TOS era together, and lets us have Nimoy one more time (though Shatner would be nice also damn it!)

Story sounds pretty good also, and certainly plausable within the Star Trek framework.

But if they kill Kirk, than he doesn't help Picard stop the guy in Generations, and then Picard dies right? Im confused now...

Wha?

The Romulans want to kill Kirk yes, but if they do then everything from when they killed him wouldn't of happened.

so yes, you are right, but I don't really see how it is relevant?

And considering this is suppose to be a prequel of sorts, they are obviously not going to kill him in the end otherwise it would screw up the whole star trek time line that we know of.

... otherwise it would screw up the whole star trek time line that we know of.

I thought Capt. Archer and Enterprise already did that. :laugh:

I'm just really tired of the time traveling bit in Star Trek, it's been over utilized in the past two series...

I thought Capt. Archer and Enterprise already did that. :laugh:

Shh!

It was nice and all, but it wasn't quite "Star Trek" for me, so lets pretend that never happened. :p

I'm just really tired of the time traveling bit in Star Trek, it's been over utilized in the past two series...

Understandable, you would think considering there is suppose to be a whole universe out there that they wouldn't have to keep using time traveling in it.

But as its a prequel and a new start some what, to the Star Trek film franchise, I suppose its OK to carry on what they do a lot.

Though I personally would of preferred a new series set quite a bit after the TNG era.

You know, they could go back to the pilot episode and have an unmedicated Michael J. Fox play a disabled Capt. Pike and have Stephen Spielberg direct it as "Star Trek: Back to the Future" because I'm really starting to get that feeling now. :p

Oh... and Christopher Lloyd was a great Klingon commander in Star Trek III, bring him back as well.

I wasn't really wanting another time travel movie again, but after reading this rumored story line, I am really getting excited about the new Trek movie, and can't wait until December 25th 2008 gets here!

ok, this explains why I read somewhere that William Shatner (aka Kirk) has visibly expressed displeasure that he has not been asked to star in this movie (only Nimoy).

This sounds ****ing awesome. It's a fanboy wet-dream and yet is a great story within itself.

If this true, this could totally re-invent Trek yet keep it cannon. It could also make your e-watch some episodes/films with a better appreciation!

While I think the storyline could work out, there are just too many things to screw up badly. Everything inside of me wants to see this happen and be a great film. I'm expecting big disappointments, especially with mostly questionable casting choices.

I think it would have been interesting if the movie present time would have been in the series past as in the original series.

I think they should turn the whole "Gunfight at O.K. Corral" episode into an entire movie on itself, that was a great episode... second favorite would have to be the mob novel left behind by previous Federation ship and the whole society shapes itself into mob life.

Also, if the Romulans found the "Stargate of Trek" that goes back in time, couldn't they do something more impressive than kill Kirk? I mean, they could go back in time before Kirk goes back in time to bring the whales into the future and kill all the whales on Earth, leading to a paradox where the probe comes earlier than in the previous timeline and wipes out Earth completely... just my two cents :)

Stop the censored.gifing time travel prequell ... the new movie **SHOULD** be a Voyager combo of the novel "Homecoming" where the head of SI makes herself into a borg queen, and in doing so, has the Doctor, Seven and several other crew members arrested for 'treason', meanwhile the Mark 1 Holograms are revolting around the galaxy ...

But of course not, just another nail in the coffin of the most amazing Franchise Empire in History. *sighs*

All I have to say about this film is:

They need to find a way to give William Shatner a role on this movie. I want to see him play Kirk one last time.

• 2 months later...
Does this mean the first trailer is attached to Cloverfield?

Dunno I heard rumours there was a teaser soon AICN had details about it a few days back but not sure whats it attached with, probably seeing as its Abrams.