[UK] Leaving BT Broadband within a contract?

We're currently in an 18 month contract with BT, for our broadband, and the contract expires this year in November. However, I'm getting sick of the slow speeds and the way BT cap us so much, so I want to switch to Sky. I get a boost of 8Mbit --> 16Mbit, for ?15 less.

Don't bother replying with useless answers like "Sky cap you too" or something, because I'm not interested.

My question is this: Is there a way to leave a contract with BT somehow but so we don't have to pay anything? Like some kind of loophole?

don't want to ruin your idea, but sky internet is bt

It comes through your BT line, yes, but if you live in a Sky LLU area then at the exchange it's wired into Sky's own kit, not BT's like all non-LLU ISPs.

My question is this: Is there a way to leave a contract with BT somehow but so we don't have to pay anything? Like some kind of loophole?

Potentially a risky option, but one would be to just download what BT would consider an excessive amount. I'd wait for other people's input before doing this but I have read of occasions where users have been offered a choice of paying per gig beyond their cap or being given a MAC code to migrate.

There isnt any way to leave your contract untl the end of it, without paying no.

Sky broadband isnt BT broadband but it uses your phone line etc so probly will be the same speed anyways lol.

I know you can leave Virgin media during the contact, however you obviously have to pay for the rest of the contract. Whether that applies to BT I don't know...

colin nope goes through different hardware on there side.

but something you sould know about sky, you are locked to the router they give you, me being an early switcher, i got the ****ty v1. but you would get the better one.

also you dont actuly find out your sky adsl username password

ste

Well if your line is maxing out at 8mbit that's because that's all BT provided ADSL can support as it's just regular ADSL. Sky use ADSL2+ (while ADSL2+ is up to 24mbit, Sky offer a max of 16mbit) - even on longer lines ADSL2+ can provide a slight benefit. As an example, a friend of mine was getting around 3mbit from BT due to exchange distance but gets 4mbit from Be on ADSL2+ which isn't bad for such a crappy line.

You can actually dig out your Sky username and password from the router but it technically violates their T&Cs. It's possible though.

Did you upgrade or get the contract on the phone?

If yes, did they say on the phone that it was a minimum contract?

If no, say that you didn't know about the minimum contract.

If they refuse, ask to listen to the phone conversation (as it's taped)

Should bring you more luck with trying to wangle a deal.

but something you sould know about sky, you are locked to the router they give you, me being an early switcher, i got the ****ty v1. but you would get the better one.

ste

For the new routers: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extracting-...d-safe-way.html

For the old routers: http://www.asininemonkey.com/netgear-dg834...l#URL_Injection

yiakoumis: no. Full speed 24/7. :)

out of curiocity do sky cap? eg bittorrent or certain times of day?

I'm on Sky's Max package, which is LLU Unbundled. I'm near the exchange, so fortunately to get up to 14Mb on good days!

There's no 'real' cap for the Max one, as far as I've been told, although people on the SkyUser forum suggest that 250GB has been mentioned; this is 'cos Max is the package they want to put people on to download movies from the Anytime service (Max is ?10 per month + your sky subscription) Max doesn't seem to be traffic shaped.

Sky's non-LLU package (Connect) is BT based, and has a cap of 40GB. I believe it's traffic shaped.

I've already looked it up, Sky enabled my exchange in 2006: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange.php?ecode=WMSPA

Also, I know I'd obviously not get the full 16Mbit but I'm getting no more then 5.3Mbit at the moment, when I'm uncapped. So Sky would most probably offer better speed with 16Mbit - I don't mind being tied to their router anyway, Sagem or Netgear don't bother me really.

Lastly, I know you can get out of the BT contract by paying the extra money needed for the remainder, but I asked my dad and he said he doesn't want to waste that money. I've also tried downloading tons (I usually leave torrents going full speed 24/7), but they've not said anything.

Should check http://www.dslzoneuk.net to see user rating ISP's.

There isnt any way to leave your contract untl the end of it, without paying no.

Sky broadband isnt BT broadband but it uses your phone line etc so probly will be the same speed anyways lol.

There is, when BT or other ISP's don't honour it. Like they done to me. I was on their BT Business Unlimited package. Nov 06 I signed up as I have been with BT since I've had Broadband to Jun 07, then I got my MAC code for their crummy throttling amongst many other problems from BT. It was a 24 month contract that they let me out of.

You just need to read about how people got out of these long contracts from BT on Thinkbroadband.com.

ste

This is another thing that puzzles me with SKY. Everybody, well most savvy people know the problems Sky Digi boxes have with Broadband, yet Sky denies it as well as they claim they have never heard of it.

My Sky Digi boxes are unplugged from the phone line because it creates havoc with the SNR. Thats with a ADSL Filtered Faceplate, which was fitted by a BT technical many years ago. Since the micro filters are known to be faulty after a period of time. It's a well known problem.

I've already looked it up, Sky enabled my exchange in 2006: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange.php?ecode=WMSPA

Also, I know I'd obviously not get the full 16Mbit but I'm getting no more then 5.3Mbit at the moment, when I'm uncapped. So Sky would most probably offer better speed with 16Mbit - I don't mind being tied to their router anyway, Sagem or Netgear don't bother me really.

Lastly, I know you can get out of the BT contract by paying the extra money needed for the remainder, but I asked my dad and he said he doesn't want to waste that money. I've also tried downloading tons (I usually leave torrents going full speed 24/7), but they've not said anything.

Quite recently if you are on the top package with BT its actually unlimited now so it doesn't matter how much you download before it was something like 60gb. As for getting out of it...depends sometimes on how many months you in and if you are over the half way stage they might be able to come to some sort of arrangement but BT do like to keep their customers so don't think you will get out for free.

I doubt they'd let you get out of the contract, unless they introduced something (such as a fair usage policy) after you signed, and you have not re-accepted them. If that is the case, you can usually write a formal letter saying that you do not agree to the terms and conditions that have been put in place since you signed the contract, and by not sticking to the terms you originally signed, BT have broken the contract and it is therefore void.

If you are really having problems, phone BT and ask to speak to second level support, or the retentions department. They are the ones who have the power (1st level supervisors usually have hardly any power). Tell them that the speeds you are being provided with a constantly unacceptable during peak hours (or whenever it is), stating that there are no technological faults due to you receiving a better speed at certain times etc.

The alternative would be to pay off the rest of your contract. It might cost you a bit, but it's sometimes worth it to simply get out of the contract.