Remove Start Menu User Picture / Frame

In the start menu of Vista, there's a icon in the top right corner. It changes when I hover over various links (ie. Computer, Documents). Is there anyway to hide/remove this icon/frame ? I know its possible to do it in XP but can it be done in Vista?

• 2 months later...
In the start menu of Vista, there's a icon in the top right corner. It changes when I hover over various links (ie. Computer, Documents). Is there anyway to hide/remove this icon/frame ? I know its possible to do it in XP but can it be done in Vista?

I second that, its really useless. Anyone?

Its incredibly easy.

1. Open the mssytles file in Restorator 2007 Extract variant > normal

2. Open the normal file in VXI32

3. Ctrl + G

4. Enter 0144c8 in decimal and press OK

5. Replace 01 with 00

6. Save

7. Drag normal file back into restorator replacing the original

8. Save

9. Restart themes service

wow you actually pay attention to the icon when it changes? i dont see why would one remove that. You click start menu and lets say you click Control panels. You dont even see the change is so fast. wow...

• 2 weeks later...
Its incredibly easy.

1. Open the mssytles file in Restorator 2007 Extract variant > normal

2. Open the normal file in VXI32

3. Ctrl + G

4. Enter 0144c8 in decimal and press OK

5. Replace 01 with 00

6. Save

7. Drag normal file back into restorator replacing the original

8. Save

9. Restart themes service

You need to do more than that to get it to look right. Like move the margins so that extra space will be gone. Give me a minute and I'll make the default Aero theme like this so you can mod it to what ever.

Did you make it? or did you just find it?

Well, I tried to follow your instructions, but didn't know what to do at the Ctrl + G stage as it wouldn't let me search for the numbers for some reason.

So then I decided to open up the AeroFlat theme with the flat toolbars which you had produced, which I already had on my PC, and so I extracted the Normal file from that theme, and used it to replace the Normal file in a copy of the standard Aero theme. So I ended up cheating, but nonetheless, it's a copy of Aero without the start menu. I thought I'd post to save people the effort of doing it themselves.

Well, I tried to follow your instructions, but didn't know what to do at the Ctrl + G stage as it wouldn't let me search for the numbers for some reason.

So then I decided to open up the AeroFlat theme with the flat toolbars which you had produced, which I already had on my PC, and so I extracted the Normal file from that theme, and used it to replace the Normal file in a copy of the standard Aero theme. So I ended up cheating, but nonetheless, it's a copy of Aero without the start menu. I thought I'd post to save people the effort of doing it themselves.

Oh ok, so I should probably bother psycob to find out how to move the text up. I followed the instructions in a tutorial on how to do it, but it didnt work.

Just realised I wrote decimal in those instructions, not hexadecimal, oops.

Oh ok, so I should probably bother psycob to find out how to move the text up. I followed the instructions in a tutorial on how to do it, but it didnt work.

Just realised I wrote decimal in those instructions, not hexadecimal, oops.

Ah, that may explain why the instructions didn't work for me, haha.

Moving the text up would be great. It would look perfect then.

• 4 months later...

hi, so did u figure out how to do it? i dont want the user pic either :). idk if this helps but i noticed that when u unlock the taskbar and make it big the start menu gets smaller and the user pic dissapears. if u resize the taskbar back to normal the pic is still gone, but it appears after a while.

• 1 month later...

OMG OMG THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED! I CAN'T BELIEVE I FOUND THIS. WHOEVER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS IS JUST WAY TOO AWESOME. I FEEL LIKE A ROCKET SCIENTIST FOR ACCOMPLISHING THIS. Whoever made that theme and provided it for download to just replace the msstyles theme rocks.

Thank you

I have completed my customization of my system. I just wanted to get rid of that picture on the start menu! It's just SO dumb.

I have a no icon theme going on my entire system. I'll attach a screen shot.

But again.... thank you!!

Desktop2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Will this method work with windows 7 or if someone has already done it could they please let me know how?I will definitely will be using this in my Vista install! Thanks to everyone involved for this,it's great. :D