Firefox 4 alpha available for download!

After Internet Explorer 8 it?s now time for Firefox 4 Alpha codenamed Minesfield. Many new changes has been made in this new version of Firefox.It?s pretty smooth and fast and also the user interface has been changed considerably.

Here are some of the notable changes in this version-

* Changes to the graphics layer

* New data storage layer for bookmarks and history (using SQLite)

* Extended search plugin format

* Updates to the extension system to provide enhanced security and to allow for easier localization of extensions

* Support for SVG text using svg:textPath

* To get a list of the most recent additions, check out the Burning Edge weblog.

U can download it here- http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/fir...ozilla-central/

Source- Tech Today

the UI is a big step backward from the current UI in FF3

Thats because it is on a different branch, this 4.0preAlpha1. Which is way off, people should not publishing these builds.

the UI is a big step backward from the current UI in FF3

I like the UI compared to FF3. IE7 is still my favourite, though, even though I'm stuck with IE8.

They are beginning to implement things that aren't planned for Firefox 3 but Firefox 4 instead.

3 is not even out and they are releasing the 4?. What is this?

Firefox is trying their best to get as high version number as possible, to fool persons to think it's better than IE 8 :p

... Does this even make sense?! can you go a new version skipping one? because as long as FF3 isn't complete its nothing much diffrent than FF4 prealpha.... good think that browsers are free.

I'm getting sick of these threads every time a new nightly is released.

So far there have been release threads for Beta 4, Beta 5 and now Alpha 1 of Firefox 4, and yet we're only on Beta 3 of FX3.

I'm getting sick of these threads every time a new nightly is released.

So far there have been release threads for Beta 4, Beta 5 and now Alpha 1 of Firefox 4, and yet we're only on Beta 3 of FX3.

people trying to create publicity for their site with a "big" story.. FF4 is so far off this isn't even close to what it will be like I'm sure.. pointless thread.

This is a branch from the trunk from about a week ago. It was created to become the new trunk and no real developement has begun on it yet. Nothing is different except for maybe some small backend work.

It looks the same as firefox 3 beta 3, 4 rc1 and 5 pre.

:)

So why does it say this...

Many new changes has been made in this new version of Firefox. It's pretty smooth and fast and also the user interface has been changed considerably.

Actually, for those of us that like staying on the bleeding edge, this post was relevant. I didn't know the FF4alpha was up already and installed it when I saw this. If you don't like it, then don't post and move on.

This would probably be older code than the current FX3 nightlies (as supernova_00 said, it was split off about a week ago, development would still occur on the trunk)