AVG8 free

Question

Hi guys, im using the free version of avg8 minus the linkscanner. Loving it so far, scans in half the time and also does a spyware sweep. when i initially installed it deleting a file called avgmwdef_us.mht in the program directory would disable the email like aads from avg encouraging upgrades. It worked fine until today when the virus databse updated itself. The program build version is still the same, but im know getting these messages despite the file responsible doesnt exist and hasnt been recreated by the update. Any ideas how to disable it?

post-186851-1209605046_thumb.jpg

10 answers to this question

So AVG Free isn't AVG Free at all. More like AVG Ad Supported. (N)

I thought AVG releasing AVG V8 as a Free Edition was too good to be true.

no you cannot remove the ads,too bad as avg aint too bad.

Press "Hide Notification" and it will disappear from the UI! :)

+ I moved from AVG 8.0 i will explain why.

Okay, they got a new Link Checker, great now i know what not to click on on google, bad!

I had firefox crash over, and over and over, if you browse google and click a link and it hasnt finished checking them all your browser ui lags and will crash.

Also if you put in a search then press the X on firefox it sometimes displays firefox has stopped working.

So now im using Avast! Home edition (free) with avist skin its great, does the job and you can disable them sounds if you don't like them e.g "virus database updated" so you can basically put it into silent mode and tell it to do its job, update whenever etc..

So theres an explanation why not to use it if you wanna read it and also how to remove the ad.

Press "Hide Notification" and it will disappear from the UI! :)

+ I moved from AVG 8.0 i will explain why.

Okay, they got a new Link Checker, great now i know what not to click on on google, bad!

I had firefox crash over, and over and over, if you browse google and click a link and it hasnt finished checking them all your browser ui lags and will crash.

Also if you put in a search then press the X on firefox it sometimes displays firefox has stopped working.

So now im using Avast! Home edition (free) with avist skin its great, does the job and you can disable them sounds if you don't like them e.g "virus database updated" so you can basically put it into silent mode and tell it to do its job, update whenever etc..

So theres an explanation why not to use it if you wanna read it and also how to remove the ad.

theres actually a way of installing avg without the linkscanner tool, or alternatively you could just disable the addon in firefox or ie itself. that way avg will wont trouble you with an error message moaning its been turned off.

theres actually a way of installing avg without the linkscanner tool, or alternatively you could just disable the addon in firefox or ie itself. that way avg will wont trouble you with an error message moaning its been turned off.

Here's the FAQ from Grisoft that details how to remove Linkscanner from your installation...

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1338#faq_1338

Does it really matter? It's not like it pops up when you're in the middle of surfing the Internet (like AVG 7.5 was starting to do), it's only there when you open the interface.

It's still free, but I think that's a perfectly fair way to remind you that Grisoft isn't a charity, and isn't powered by free time.

To remove that, delete, move or rename the file "avgmwdef_us.mht" in the AVG program files folder.

Ok thats for the previous one, didn't know theres a new one.

Ok for the new onw, delete, move or rename the file "avgresf.dll" in the AVG program files folder.

Edited by iron2000

To remove that, delete, move or rename the file "avgmwdef_us.mht" in the AVG program files folder.

Ok thats for the previous one, didn't know theres a new one.

Ok for the new onw, delete, move or rename the file "avgresf.dll" in the AVG program files folder.

Thanks for that.