highest capacity ATA-6 2.5 drive available

I have a laptop that I want to upgrade to the maximum hard drive size possible. It has an IDE interface (not serial ata) and the drive bay is a 2.5. I do not want to go to external.

The largest capacity I have found is a 320GB. Is there anything larger? I was hoping there would be 500GB+

Adapters to fit SATA devices (either 1.8 or 2.5, but I don't think there is enough room to adapt to another 2.5 device though) are acceptable as long as I can fit them internally in the laptop.

I do not want to have an external hard drive. However, I can use the CD-ROM bay for a drive if need be.

The model is a Dell Latitude D600.

the D-Bay device is a viable option, because it can still be internal in the laptop. is there a such thing available? i haven't seen one.

I know for a fact that it cannot see beyond 137GB. It does not have 48-bit LBA thing in the BIOS.

So I guess 120GB will work. But not beyond 137GB.

If you are going the D-Bay way make sure the size limitation does not apply.

2.5" IDE drives are not that big in capacity so don't be too disappointed

^ Wrong.

If a 160 GB hard drive is installed in a Latitude D600 portable computer, the system BIOS will report the drive size as 137 GB. Systems developed prior to availability of 48-bit LBA drives may not include support for these drives at the BIOS level. The drive size will be reported correctly in the operating system and will function normally.

^ Wrong.

If a 160 GB hard drive is installed in a Latitude D600 portable computer, the system BIOS will report the drive size as 137 GB. Systems developed prior to availability of 48-bit LBA drives may not include support for these drives at the BIOS level. The drive size will be reported correctly in the operating system and will function normally.

That's what I was hoping.

I was also wondering - the best HD I could find was 250GB for a 2.5 ATA-6, and 320GB for 2.5 SATA. Can anyone find something of larger capacity?

250GB is the largest i saw also. Guess you're stuck there for now. A D610 has SATA support right? Maybe i'm wrong but i thought i remember something about that.