Prevent Windows Media Player from resizing/overwriting Folder.jpg?

Question

Hey guys,

Is there anyway to stop Windows Media Player resizing your folder.jpg images to 200x200 when you import your music into the WMP library?

It's an awful limitation MS put on WMP and we/I can't see to turn it off.

I have nice 600x600 scans of my album artwork as my folder.jpg image, and want to keep them at that resolution.

Thanks (Y)

If not, it looks like I'll be using iTunes from now on in (I prefer WMP though, however I have just discovered iTunes lite).

4 answers to this question

You won't be able to edit the album art or use Find Album Info against those tracks, but otherwise so long as you don't give WMP a reason to need to write to that file, you should be OK IIRC.

If you're just using "folder.jpg" and the files don't have album art internally you would probably want to uncheck WMP's Tools:Options:Library:Retrieve Additional information menu option.

Tools > Options > Privacy > Uncheck Display media information from the Internet and Update music files by retrieving media info from the Internet.

I'm going from WMP10, by the way, and it's working for me. Although the other day on Windows Vista I was having this same problem, despite unchecking those options, but beforehand it was fine, so I don't know what was wrong there.

I have all those options unchecked.

It just seems if you add anything to the WMP library it automatically resizes the covers.

If you're just playing the files it won't do it, it's when you add the folder to the library.