Excel 2007 undo across multiple documents

Question

I have been getting frustrated lately with the undo function in Excel 2007. The undo stack operates on all open documents together, instead of each document having its own undo history. This means as I try to undo changes in one document, it switches to other documents and their changes as well.

Is there a way to change this behavior?

I don't remember if previous versions did this as well, but it causes big problems for me as I am always working on at least three files at a time.

Edited by boomn

8 answers to this question

Yes... There are a few ways...

One for example would be to script your own custom 'Undo' function - which stores historys on a per doc basis... might take awhile to implement though :)

Yes... There are a few ways...

One for example would be to script your own custom 'Undo' function - which stores historys on a per doc basis... might take awhile to implement though :)

Haha, yeah i guess that would work.

I think I will focus my efforts on a proper C++/SQL app to replace the current info system. It always felt silly to be recording important production information in Excel documents.

Haha, yeah i guess that would work.

I think I will focus my efforts on a proper C++/SQL app to replace the current info system. It always felt silly to be recording important production information in Excel documents.

Yeah, when will people get that Excel is't a database for storing data... its an analytical tool for taking data and performing analysis on? -.-

Grrr... lol

Yeah, when will people get that Excel is't a database for storing data... its an analytical tool for taking data and performing analysis on? -.-

Grrr... lol

Excel is the backbone of my whole company. It does allow managers to quickly build their own info systems, but as the company grew they forgot to move and now we have a nest of linked spreadsheets. At least they are looking at ERP systems now

Excel is the backbone of my whole company. It does allow managers to quickly build their own info systems, but as the company grew they forgot to move and now we have a nest of linked spreadsheets. At least they are looking at ERP systems now

lmao, mine too!

The Undo history is stored at application level - if you open each file in it's own instance of Excel they will have their own history.

Although, by doing this you losse some of the interaction between files if that is why you have more than one open...

The Undo history is stored at application level - if you open each file in it's own instance of Excel they will have their own history.

Although, by doing this you losse some of the interaction between files if that is why you have more than one open...

Thanks. I didn't realize that, since I was clicking on the files themselves to open, it ran them all in the same instance of Excel. Opening three separate copies of Excel and then opening the files did the trick

What a weird set of hoops to have to jump through :blink:

Thanks. I didn't realize that, since I was clicking on the files themselves to open, it ran them all in the same instance of Excel. Opening three separate copies of Excel and then opening the files did the trick

What a weird set of hoops to have to jump through :blink:

Yeah. This reminds me of annoyances.org .... :p