Installing XP on a Pre-Installed Windows Vista Computer

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 and it came pre-installed with Vista. I'm having compatibility issues with some of my older softwares and hardwares. I was thinking of partitioning my hard drive and installing XP on it as well. the problem is, I never did something like this before. How hard is it? Can serious problems occur? Is it recommended that I not go through with this?

it's not that hard as long as you know what you are doing. so make sure you read that link carefully and even print it out. there shouldn't be any problems if you use common sense and follow the directions. post here if you run into any troubles and need help

There is nothing wrong with doing what you're asking, provided that 1. You have a valid license to the XP that you're about to install, and 2. Drivers exist for your model of computer.

Part 2 is, of course, the tricky thing. Not all vendors make it easy to find drivers for XP for their Vista computers, even though the hardware may be perfectly compatible. Some vendors *cough*HP*cough*actually make it intentionally difficult. In your case, check Dell's site and make sure that drivers exist for your computer for XP. Burn those drivers to CD or copy them to a flash drive BEFORE starting the XP install, because the last thing that you want is a system that you can't get online to find any drivers you may have missed because you forgot to get the ethernet/modem driver beforehand.

FYI if your laptop came with Vista Business or Vista Ultimate, you have legitimate rights to downgrade to XP without purchasing a new license. You will, however, need to find a key to install XP with then activate manually over the phone.

FYI if your laptop came with Vista Business or Vista Ultimate, you have legitimate rights to downgrade to XP without purchasing a new license. You will, however, need to find a key to install XP with then activate manually over the phone.

I have a desktop computer and it came pre-installed with Vista Home Premium.