PADD Windowblind

I have been working on this theme for over a year now. It was actually supposed to be my third WB, but I got sidetracked and ended up building 3 blinds before coming back.

The first draft made me laugh. I dubbed it LCARS Cheese because the colors were pastel and kinda gaudy.

First draft:

preview-1.jpg

This look is kinda what made me shelve the entire project. LCARS doesn't lend itself very well to the windowblind format.

Months later, I was re inspired by a new design idea. I thought about making the windows like a PADD. I also changed the color scheme drastically..... going over to blues and grays to give it a sharper look with more contrast.

This time, I only got sidetracked once and made a couple of skins in collaboration with another community member ZubaZ Windowblind Download

Now finally, I'm on track again and determined to finish this skin in time to submit to the GUIC

66056128tk9.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I'm a massive Star Trek fan, but no, I gave up on a LCARS time interface before I switched to Windows XP. It's not going to work. Looks terrible to be honest, though, that's not entirely your fault, it's the concept of the whole design when it comes to 'LCARS' or your 'PADD' idea. None of them will work unfortunately, sorry.

Looks terrible to be honest

Could you be more specific? I didn't like the first draft of course, but I think the PADD concept works. Are the graphics crappy, or do you just not like the concept?

Could you be more specific? I didn't like the first draft of course, but I think the PADD concept works. Are the graphics crappy, or do you just not like the concept?

The whole thing. I'm sorry for being cruel about saying that but it's true. The LCARS/PADD concept won't work. It's been tried over the past decade on various Operating Systems. LCARS/PADD would be something a 12 year old might like. But for me who is 21, who loves Star Trek, wouldn't have the interface. It's not even practical.

Sorry.

I guess I should thank you for your candor.

And since you out of 250 that viewed the thread were the only one to comment, I can assume no one else liked the theme either. :x

Actually, it's quite a nice attempt. Reminds me of Star Trek, but the skin just doesn't click with me. Probably because I don't like Star Trek and thus find the interface too gimmicky.

But I'm sure those diehard Star Trek fans will appreciate it. :)

I guess I should thank you for your candor.

And since you out of 250 that viewed the thread were the only one to comment, I can assume no one else liked the theme either. :x

Sorry :p

I appreciate you trying to make an attempt though. :)

• 3 months later...
As you can see with some of the related links on Youtube. LCARS/PADD are only really usable in touch screen environments.

Well the interface was designed with a touch interface in mind, so it kinda makes sense :p

What really kills the idea is that LCARS doesn't do multitasking. The entire interface sits on one layer (with exception to the occasional alert overlay), and there aren't any "windows" to speak of. As long as windows exist on Windows, you aren't going to be able to effectively skin it. This is a square peg, round hole situation...

The best place I can think of to use LCARS is a touchscreen cell phone like the iPhone.