Norton Internet Security 2010 and Norton AntiVirus 2010 Public Beta

Question

http://www.symantec.com/norton/beta/

Welcome to the Norton Internet Security 2010 and Norton AntiVirus 2010 Public Beta!

We're really excited about his year's version of Norton Internet Security 2010 and Norton AntiVirus 2010. We've made significant improvements to our existing features, as well as added a few new ones. We've also included

support for Windows 7, the new upcoming version of Microsoft's popular operating system.

New and Improved Features

Performance Enhancements

The 2010 products improve on the very high performance bar already set by the 2009 products. The Beta builds will be regularly updated, with later builds improving on performance and functionality.

Enhanced Norton Insight

Norton Insight is built on the Symantec Quorum backend intelligence technology first introduced in the 2009 products. In 2009 Norton Insight only quantified trustworthiness, in 2010 Norton Insight also provides information on prevalence, age, and runtime performance data.

Download Insight

Download Insight is a new line of defense against the introduction of untrusted applications on your system. Download Insight monitors new application or installer downloads, automatically analyzes and classifies the application using the Quorum technology, and provides you with a trust rating for the application before allowing the application or installer to execute.

Performance Monitoring

The system performance monitoring now also monitors system events such as application installations, and we monitor process performance. This information is graphed over time, to make it easier to determine if an application may be the cause of degraded performance.

Enhanced SONAR

The SONAR behavioral protection technology was completely re-written for the 2010 products. SONAR now also utilizes the Quorum backend intelligence technology to further improve detections and reduce false positives.

Power Savings

Power saving options are available that helps conserve battery power by only running non-critical when on AC power.

Silent Mode

The Silent Mode functionality was enhanced to include Quiet Mode on automatic detection of CD/DVD burning and media recording applications. Users can now also define their own applications that will trigger Quiet Mode.

Anti Spam

The Anti Spam technology was completely re-written for the 2010 products. The Anti Spam engine is now using the world's leading Symantec Brightmail technology. The engine is further enhanced to not only perform local scanning, but to also double check the results in real-time against the backend system, further increasing the effectiveness and reducing false positives.

Windows 7 Support

Full support for Windows 7, including support for Teredo and Home Groups.

Over the next few weeks we will be publishing detailed write-ups in the Norton Protection Blog about the new and improved features of the 2010 products.

I've got the NIS 2010 installed on Windows 7 Build 7100 and it runs like a charm, not to mention it installs in next to no time. I didn't think they could improve on the performance of the 2009 products, but they've done it by completely re-writting key features and technologies to make them lighter than ever!

Edited by bbfc_uk

just installed this on my laptop with 7 build 7100 on it and can't agree more...norton did a great job of leaving its bad reputation behind with 2k9 and continues that trend nicely

I just hope everyone gives it a try before bashing Symantec. Granted in the past their software was a performance hog, but since the 2009 (and a little in 2008) products that bad reputation has been well and truly left behind. Norton's 2009 products were the lighest and quickest AV suites around.

From a Norton hater for years, now this is impressive. I might even buy it, first time give them money in over 10 years.

No reboot install... on mine anyway.

Only lasts for 14 days though - that's a bit pants!!

Its because of the beta lifecycle. They plan on releasing updates every 14 days, if not you can renew the key for a further 14 days.

nis-main-1-sm.jpg

They slam everybody's free products, just a couple of days before releasing their new beta. Pretty amusing timing :laugh:

My criticism is that they really should drop to a native UI instead of whatever hideous skins they're planning to use. Contrary to what Norton seems to believe, Windows actually can draw a window caption bar, and minimize and close buttons.

Is that an antivirus program, or is that a program to launch a nuke?! :blink:

Compare:

cizxx.png

The Norton Front End allows you to turn off Features without having to dig deep. But remember, NIS 2010 is still in Beta so the UI is subject to change, and I really hope it does as I'm not a fan. Plus, you can change the colours.

I've been a loyal Norton fan for years. The releases as of a few years ago were definitely bloated, no one can dispute that. However, with the 2009 & now 2010 releases, there is nothing to complain about (performance, at least). My thinking is this: maybe it's a little more expensive than other products, but in all the years I've been using Norton, I've never once gotten a crippling virus. I can afford $60/yr for NIS, so I will.

Is that an antivirus program, or is that a program to launch a nuke?! :blink:

Compare:

cizxx.png

Compare:

Avast1.jpg

Oh, so that's why I have not re-installed Avast.

Anyways, was going to buy NAV 2009, but with 2010 rolling out, I guess there is no need.

I have MSE installed anyhow.

NAV 2009 is good. I love the Network connection feature so I do not have to access my router to see if someone else is connected.

Oh, so that's why I have not re-installed Avast.

Anyways, was going to buy NAV 2009, but with 2010 rolling out, I guess there is no need.

I have MSE installed anyhow.

NAV 2009 is good. I love the Network connection feature so I do not have to access my router to see if someone else is connected.

As long as you have a valid subscription to NAV/NIS, you can download the latest version of Norton and enter your subscription info into it. You don't need to wait until 2010 is released to get Norton, just so you don't have to re-buy the product (in the latest edition).

As long as you have a valid subscription to NAV/NIS, you can download the latest version of Norton and enter your subscription info into it. You don't need to wait until 2010 is released to get Norton, just so you don't have to re-buy the product (in the latest edition).

he is right i have a subscription for 2009 and when 2010 comes out free upgrade

unrelated but:

some fools in mcafee tshirts were in Victoria station in London last week wandering around with leaflets giving discounts on their new versions because its "better than norton"

My criticism is that they really should drop to a native UI instead of whatever hideous skins they're planning to use. Contrary to what Norton seems to believe, Windows actually can draw a window caption bar, and minimize and close buttons.

This

unrelated but:

some fools in mcafee tshirts were in Victoria station in London last week wandering around with leaflets giving discounts on their new versions because its "better than norton"

McAfee is terrible! It slowed my system down to a snails pace when I the Total Protection 3.5 Beta. Plus, they only give you 1 install when you buy it, but Norton allows NIS/NAV it to be installed on 3 PCs for roughly the same price, and its much much lighter.

Best internet security system i've tested in a long while. Simple download, easy to install. Provides peace of mind with the CPU meter. Doesn't affect startup time by more than a couple of seconds. Overall, it's brilliant.

Hi,

Am i right in saying that i can buy, say, Norton Internet Security 2007 5 user licence and then simply download use that key on Norton Internet Security 2009?

Or am i missing something?

Im just thinking that i'll buy NIS 2007 and then install 2009 or 2010 using the same key? Its much cheaper.