[Ubuntu 9.04] TV Tuner

I've been trying to get my tuner to work, but have not had much luck.

I found and installed the saa716x driver from http://www.jusst.de/hg/saa716x/

Relevant lspci data about the card:

02:00.0 Multimedia controller [0480]: Philips Semiconductors Device [1131:7160] (rev 03)
	Subsystem: Avermedia Technologies Inc Device [1461:0655]
	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 4 bytes
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 3
	Region 0: Memory at fda00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
	Capabilities: <access denied>

I'm pretty sure the driver installed properly, but I've not been able to get any further as far as usage. It's an AverMedia H788.

If there's any other data anyone needs, let m know and I'll paste it in. This is the only thing tying me down to Windows right now! :p

Thanks in advance.

Update:

It seems the modules for the driver are not loading properly.

matt@mitch:~$ sudo modprobe saa716x_core
FATAL: Error inserting saa716x_core (/lib/modules/2.6.28-14-generic/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/saa716x/saa716x_core.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

matt@mitch:~$ sudo modprobe saa716x_hybrid
FATAL: Error inserting saa716x_hybrid (/lib/modules/2.6.28-14-generic/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/saa716x/saa716x_hybrid.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

So I went and looked at dmesg, and saw:

[  316.634939] saa716x_core: disagrees about version of symbol dvb_dmxdev_init
[  316.634943] saa716x_core: Unknown symbol dvb_dmxdev_init
[  316.635359] saa716x_core: disagrees about version of symbol dvb_dmx_release
[  316.635360] saa716x_core: Unknown symbol dvb_dmx_release
[  316.635540] saa716x_core: disagrees about version of symbol dvb_dmxdev_release
[  316.635546] saa716x_core: Unknown symbol dvb_dmxdev_release
[  316.636101] saa716x_core: disagrees about version of symbol dvb_dmx_init
[  316.636107] saa716x_core: Unknown symbol dvb_dmx_init

Any ideas? :/

Sounds like the version you downloaded from the website you linked to does not match the kernel/libraries installed on your PC.

I would try to get the module from the Ubuntu repos.

Sounds like the version you downloaded from the website you linked to does not match the kernel/libraries installed on your PC.

I would try to get the module from the Ubuntu repos.

I haven't been able to find it in the repos. I may just be SOL on this one.

I rebuilt the modules and managed to get them loaded, but it seems the hardware still isn't being recognized (or something along those lines).

The driver is included in the kernel, no need to install it. But it does not work out of the box. That chip have over 1000 versions and the chip itself don't tell witch one to use. You have to set it by hand in /etc/modprobe.d/saa1734 (or other saa). You also have to select a tuner. Personally, I even wrote a kernel patch to get mine to work properly (not really coding, just setting special channel and linking them to the right input, I added one, the #153, now they are at like #170. (those number are new versions added to the compatibility list of the kernel). You have to find the right version and then set it by default in /etc/modprobe.d/saa1734

Check gentoo documentation for more details about how to do that.

I don't want to open a new thread, can someone suggest a good program for viewing/recording TV, this thread reminded me I have a TV tuner somewhere in the room :D

I don't want to open a new thread, can someone suggest a good program for viewing/recording TV, this thread reminded me I have a TV tuner somewhere in the room :D

For Ubuntu -- To view and record you can use Mythbuntu desktop....

there is a way to install the Window Manger and core files--

http://www.mythbuntu.org/

or I think all you have to do is this--

sudo apt-get install mythbuntu-desktop

I use tvtime, it's very easy to use and setup, but lacks the advanced features you can get with MythTV.