ICH9R LPC Interface 2916 driver not installed

I've got an asus p5k-e ap wifi board, I just installed windows 7 pro x64 in device manager it won't install "Intel? ICH9R LPC Interface Controller - 2916" I've downloaded almost EVERY intel chip id download I can and still it won't install properly, I've tried manually installing it by extracting the contents of the intel chipset software packages like they state on their website and that STILL does not work. I never had this issue in my RC(also x64) install this is VERY frustrating! I've even tried the betas on this site http://www.station-drivers.com/page/intel chipset.htm and it STILL won't install. Does anyone know what this controller does for sure? Is it vital for performance? I read somewhere that it was only for the mobos IR controller. Are there any BIOS settings that might fix this?

Edit I've also tried the Intel matrix storage driver but each one tells me my system isn't eligible for it.

Edited by Marduk

Hello,

I am not sure if you have this option in the bios.

Advanced> Peripheral Configuration > IR > Disable

I'll give it a look, thanks!

EDIT: its not there :( Do you know for sure this is the IR controller? Or might this be something vital to my system's performance?

Edited by Marduk

Any other ideas ?

Try to create a shortcut to the setup.exe of the intel drivers and add a -overall switch to the running path on its properties, so it overrides all installed drivers.