Which Router to Buy for 640-802 Exam?

Howdy,

I've bought the CCNA 640-802 book. I know there's programming routers involved (which is great) and I was googling around to try and find out which Router I'd need to play around with in order to "know my stuff" - but no luck.

Anyone here can recommend precisely which router/model I should buy off eBay to pass the exam? I know there are simulators out there (too many out there to choose), but I would like a hands on approach.

P.S.

When does the 640-802 exam expire and renew to a different exam number? For example, I don't want to learn and do the exam for 802 if something else is released in 3-months time etc.

Thanks in advance ya'all.

1700 series is a good start for the routers, you'll need at least 2 routers if not 3 and 2 switches.

In ebay you should just be able to type CCNA lab and there should be heaps to choose from.

Thanks,

So, those 3 routers are the ones perfect to pass CCNA - plus which switches shall I get, which would be the best budget ones to practice for the exam(s)?

Nice one - I'll download it now and try on my laptop (rather pay the money on the hardware, so hopefully this sim has a trial period).

Edited by DjmUK

In our lab we had the 2600XM routers (need enough ram to run 12.2 (the earliest being w/ SSH support) or 12.3 (which has IPv6). The specific one is the "IP_BASE" firmware.

For switches we had.... 2590's and 3590's.

So, you had:

1x 2600XM

1x 2950

1x 3950

That's what's in the CCNA lab test? I know the more the merrier (say, 3x 2600 routers | 3x 2950 switches etc.) but whatever the minimum is...plus I'm downloading GNS3 now (thanks for that - just gotta' learn about the IOS to install). I may just get the hardware aswell for my own usage etc.

This is getting all exciting - Chapter 1's OSI Layer's are fun (well, at Layers 2 & 3 anyway) :D

Edited by DjmUK

I've just started reading this, and am I correct in assuming that I need to buy the IOS for a router(s) when buying a router/switch? A license per device sorta' deal? How much are we talking about here?

Edited by DjmUK

Dynamips/GNS3 should be enough to do you for CCNA.

The Composite exam you have picked is a BITCH imho. Real tough exam... You should have done ICND1 and ICND2 :)

Learn NAT/PAT - that was a big lab the last time I completed the CCNA :)

why don't you use Cisco Packet Tracer ?

+1. I used that for first two books and they just works fine.

P.S Our Network Engineer recommended ASA 5505 when I was studying those 2 first books, and ASA 5505 is just more than great. :)

why don't you use Cisco Packet Tracer ?

Packet Tracer is a nice program. I was able to mock up the exact configuration of the classroom lab. And you can actually watch packets move between the networks and watch how they change at each hop.

There was one thing that CPT couldn't do, though. I can't remember what it was, but it does have limited functionality. I passed the CCNA using it as my lab environment, so I didn't miss it. I just studied that area more from a text standpoint.