New Windows Live Messenger Wave 4 screenshots revealed!

Following the screenshot leaks from Neowin.net earlier last month, our friend Picturepan2 from LiveSino.net was able to get some more exclusive screenshots of an internal build of the upcoming Windows Live Messenger Wave 4 just as the new year’s started.

First up is a screenshot of an improved Windows 7 taskbar thumbnail previews for Messenger Wave 4:

5466.windows_5F00_live_5F00_messenger_5F00_wave4_5F00_windows7_5F00_thumb_5F00_413A4262.png

Seems like they’ve fixed the problem with Wave 3 where two thumbnail preview windows were shown for the Messenger application – one showing the user’s display picture and another showing the actual Messenger main window – now only the main Messenger window is shown. Also notice that they’ve added “Thumbnail Toolbars” functionality, allowing users to directly select their status from the thumbnail previews (much like how Windows Media Player works in Windows 7).

8741.windows_5F00_live_5F00_messenger_5F00_wave4_5F00_thumb_5F00_2D8C9727.png

Next we can see that Messenger Wave 4 finally supports Tabbed Conversation windows! The tabs looks very similar to those in IE8. The ad also appears to be much larger, however there is a “X” button next to the ad, possibly allowing users to close the ad or return it back to text form.

More

Look much better than last time's screen shot.

Look much better than last time's screen shot.

IMO, it still looks like ass. Hopefully it'll be just as easy to modify the UI as the current messenger is.

Edited by iamwhoiam

God damn they need to just scrap the whole damn thing and start again... And is that a placeholder for banner ads in the conversation window now? Sigh.

Looks dismal (N). Wish they'd make it more minimalistic.

+1

I dont like the current design of WLM and i think they should design it from scratch in something more minimal with less bloat.They should get inspired from pidgin and adium in my opinion.

I really hope there's some sort of Mess.be patch or A-Patch to get rid of all the bloat, thats the only thing really keeping me from using anything above 8.5

Shame everyone who was in the modding community has either disappeared or can't get mods to work on the new messenger framework.

IMO, it still looks like ass. Hopefully it'll be just as easy to modify the UI as the current messenger is.

Ass is such a nice way of describing WLM :)

+1

I dont like the current design of WLM and i think they should design it from scratch in something more minimal with less bloat.They should get inspired from pidgin and adium in my opinion.

I think they should make a minimalistic version for those of us that want it that way, and bloated version for everyone else. I liked messenger 4.7/5.1 the best.

If they make ads more prominent in the newer version of WLM, I'll just drop it altogether.

Just patch the ads out with a-patch and if modify the UI files to remove extra stuff.

Instead of trying to make it look pretty, why doesn't someone at M$ think about adding features that other PC Messengers dont have like multiple video chat.

Yes, I appreciate there are paid programs that do video conferencing but the majority are for business & enterprise and chargable via a monthly fee.

The average home user may just want to video chat with more than 1 person.

oovoo allows upto 3 people for free but anything over that and you have to pay a subscription per month.

Skype arent interested, the Skype forums are full of requests aged well over a year.