BitBox : The most secure browser ever

BitBox Could Be Safest Windows Browser Ever

German security technologies company Sirrix AG has recently released what some critics are calling the most secure web browser in existence: a sandboxed version of Mozilla firefox, known as BitBox.

What makes this variation of Firefox most intriguing is that the web browser runs completely independent of Microsoft Windows (or Linux) . The program uses VirtualBox 4.04 (a software virtualization program by Sun Microsystems) and a securely locked-down ("hardened") implementation of Debian 6 Linux.

When BitBox is launched, the user is said to have all of the same Internet experiences as they would when running Firefox 4 in its standard format.

A shared folder between both operating systems is accessible through a separate user account. To keep things extra secure, uploads and Internet access are disabled on the base operating system once BitBox is launched.

Its greatest feature, however, rests in the fact that every time the browser is restarted, BitBox resets to a different certified boot image.

This means that any existing malware that might have come through in the previous session is isolated and eliminated -- all without having to continually run an antivirus scan of the system to weed out each individual piece of malware.

As it stands, BitBox runs on Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7, in addition to various Linux distributions, including Debian, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE and Gentoo.

Note that the Bitbox download file is a whopping 900 MB.

http://www.infopackets.com/news/security/2011/20110520_bitbox_could_be_safest_windows_browser_ever.htm

It runs a different certified boot image each time.....does it save your settings, bookmarks, etc?

[edit] ...accessible through a separate user account. I missed that.

How long does it take to start the browser?

Is the 900 MB part a joke? And I really agree with De.Bug, with a good anti virus that doesn't really contribute much to your security

Interesting concept, but the size of the download does seem silly.

meh. Who gives a **** about securing your browser when you have the best Antivirus ever, Common Sense.

Common sense is not a complete antivirus/malware/etc. protection. It helps. It's absolutely not 100% secure, because the software you run is not 100% secure, and the websites you visit are not 100% secure.

(It's hard to tell if you're being sarcastic, so I'm basing that on you not being)

Not as bad as Internet Explorer...

no, Internet Explorer uses up all of my disk!!! all 6MB of it!!! </sarcasm> :rolleyes:

I'll stick with links, which is probably more secure.

I mean come on, you're trusting a product by a company that calls the owner of virtualbox, sun microsystems? Errr, HELLO!? Oracle bought out sun a very long time ago!

There is nothing more secure than common sense. Never have issue with virus or malware.

+1, lots of efforts to bring sandboxing when it's enough to promise the "dislike" button on facebook to make the avg Joe install whatever you want