Chrome OS vs Windows 8(boot-up time)

What jolly do you guys get from boot-up times, hmmm ?

For me, on a desktop it really isn't that big of a deal. Sleep is fine, and for the few mW of power it trickles here and there who cares?

But there is a lot of utility in short boot times on a laptop. I really like the idea of going into a completely powerless state and then resuming back from that powerless state in a few seconds. Lion's app restore feature is kind of nifty. I hope Windows 8 has a similar feature, actually.

btw, on that video that computer has an SSD, so the real results might really vary compared to the reality.

By saying "the real results may vary", are you suggesting the 6 seconds aren't real? SSDs exists and people actually use them, you know? Maybe you meant these results are best-case scenarios and not average?

it takes me about a minute to go from cold boot to usable desktop right now, with an SSD. about a third of that time is waiting for my fingerprint reader to log me in (stupid omnipass is absolutely inferior to WBF), and half of the remaining time is the actual windows booting to login screen.

Even though this may be an older thread, Windows 8 is really handicapped, because it is not even released yet.

I remember for example comparing boot times of Windows 2000 versus Whistler (XP) the early builds really had long boot times, however when it matured as an OS it booted a whole lot faster than the one compared to it.

Um, no we aren't. The thing is, for the price Google is asking for the Chromebooks, you could easily get a machine that performs 3-4 times better than a crappy Atom CPU.

The price they are charging is for the support of those. And instead of paying up front, they spread it out. I agree that I wouldn't pay that, but in a business/education market, it could make sense. If the notebook breaks, send it back and get a new one. Just about any notebook you buy will only have a one year warranty, unless you pay extra. The management of the Chromebooks is also a plus in some instances, no viruses to worry about, etc.. Like I said, in SOME environments, that would be worth the price. In most it's not.

• 4 months later...

Just an update to this thread.

I am typing from a Samsung Series 7 Slate, a high end tablet, though I am sure it is representative of tablets when Windows 8 is eventually released. my machine is running the public developer preview of Windows 8 and is installed with skype, visual studio2010, office 2010, steam and DC universe online. I use all of these programs regularly.

booting from cold to login takes between 3 and 4 seconds.

login to metro, less than a second.

metro to windows desktop 3-4 seconds the first time.

I generally don't cold boot. i think i have only done so twice so far. rebooting takes 2-3 seconds though. I just put the computer to sleep. takes about a second. another second to wake up.

Just an update to this thread.

I am typing from a Samsung Series 7 Slate, a high end tablet, though I am sure it is representative of tablets when Windows 8 is eventually released. my machine is running the public developer preview of Windows 8 and is installed with skype, visual studio2010, office 2010, steam and DC universe online. I use all of these programs regularly.

booting from cold to login takes between 3 and 4 seconds.

login to metro, less than a second.

metro to windows desktop 3-4 seconds the first time.

I generally don't cold boot. i think i have only done so twice so far. rebooting takes 2-3 seconds though. I just put the computer to sleep. takes about a second. another second to wake up.

Wow, thanks for the update. The boot-up time has halfed! :o

8 second originally.

And a timely purchase. We are getting the beta in a few weeks. :)

Chrome OS is just a browser(and nothing more),

This is highy in-accurate... Chrome Browser, is just a browser... Chrome OS is an actual OS, while you are locked in the browser, it still has to load drivers. It is a Linux based OS.. so... this is another one of those comparisons that isn't accurate.

This is highy in-accurate... Chrome Browser, is just a browser... Chrome OS is an actual OS, while you are locked in the browser, it still has to load drivers. It is a Linux based OS.. so... this is another one of those comparisons that isn't accurate.

Yes, that's a fact. But a lot of stuff has been stripped off. So now, it is a browser mostly.

That is the only part accessible to the end-user. But in W8, you have access to a whole lot more. That was the point I was trying to make.

Yes, that's a fact. But a lot of stuff has been stripped off. So now, it is a browser mostly.

That is the only part accessible to the end-user. But in W8, you have access to a whole lot more. That was the point I was trying to make.

You're lying.

You're half-right.

Chrome still requires a lot of libraries - graphics, sound, video, stuff like that.

You cannot write an app on ChromeOS, but Chrome runs on ChromeOS. These libraries have to exist, and get called.

However, there is much less needed stuff: you can go through everything in the kernel drivers and nuke it if it isn't required (since the PC hardware is known), and you could create a graphics library that does only what Chrome needs and nothing more.

The reason Windows is "slow" to boot is that it needs to load *tons* of stuff. Win32. The GDI. DirectX. Windows built-in programs. And so on.

That is why Win8 can boot faster; using WinRT, you never use Win32 or the GDI directly. Thus, Windows doesn't need to load them until they're needed by a desktop app.

N.B.: I'm a bit too categorical here: everything isn't "needed" or "not needed, ever". But you can see my point.

That is why Win8 can boot faster; using WinRT, you never use Win32 or the GDI directly. Thus, Windows doesn't need to load them until they're needed by a desktop app.

For several reasons I highly doubt this!

1. vast parts of WinRT are wrappers around Win32

2. everything that's rendered in Windows - except for stuff that goes directly through DirectX (like WPF) - goes through GDI?