Abnormal XP Load Time??

okay, this doesn't happen every time i load xp, but it happens enough to annoy me.. when i boot xp it gets past the boot screen really fast.. then i hit a black screen for sometimes up to 7 minutes! then all of a sudden my login screen pops up like there was never a problem and boom i'm into xp.. what's going on inbetween loading XP into memory and getting to the login screen? surely it's nothing to an athlon xp 1600, i would think... i've not seen anyone else with such a problem.. any suggestions?

well.. a small network in my home.. my comp's the internet server and my other one connects thru it.. but most of the time the other comp's not even on..

would that make a difference?

Originally posted by excessdl

okay, this doesn't happen every time i load xp, but it happens enough to annoy me.. when i boot xp it gets past the boot screen really fast.. then i hit a black screen for sometimes up to 7 minutes! then all of a sudden my login screen pops up like there was never a problem and boom i'm into xp.. what's going on inbetween loading XP into memory and getting to the login screen? surely it's nothing to an athlon xp 1600, i would think... i've not seen anyone else with such a problem.. any suggestions?

Dude, get rid of the damn USE WELCOME SCREEN option. Uncheck it and you will see the difference.

this is what you do: go into network connections in control panel.

open up your local area connection property. it's most likely you have 4 things ticked here, client, files, qos, tcp/ip. what you are intersted is the tcp/ip. go into its property, and instead of ticking "obtain an ip addy auto", set it to "use the following ip addy" and put in "ip addy: 10.255.255.10" "subnet mask: 255.255.255.10" and you should be all set to go.

this method actually gives your comp 2 ip's, heh, funny. hope this helps you. certainly helped me.

Originally posted by nomis_nehc

this is what you do: go into network connections in control panel.

open up your local area connection property. it's most likely you have 4 things ticked here, client, files, qos, tcp/ip. what you are intersted is the tcp/ip. go into its property, and instead of ticking "obtain an ip addy auto", set it to "use the following ip addy" and put in "ip addy: 10.255.255.10" "subnet mask: 255.255.255.10" and you should be all set to go.

this method actually gives your comp 2 ip's, heh, funny. hope this helps you. certainly helped me.

Thank you so much!!! I posted a few days ago about my issue with slow boot and I could not figure out what the deal was, even bootvis did not show what was going on, It said boot was in 15 sec. well now i know. I too have a pppoe connection and IM testing out the fix now. I called my ISP and got my settings from them. Thank You so much!!!! I will let you know if it works for me.

another method that worked well for me was, go to device manager and go to ur ide controlers and go to the properties of each ide chanell u may have 2 or more, in the properties of each go to advanced and under device type if u can set it to none, once done do the next channel till all are done

this stops xp serching for missing devices when booting up, it cut my boot time from minuits to seconds

Originally posted by nomis_nehc

let me know if it works. (sure hope it does for ya)

nomis_nehc, You are the man. IT WORKED!!!!!! After I put in my settings ( Call your ISP to get the exact if you do not know) or just open your connection and get the settings that XP manualy puts in and do what nomis_nehc said but with your personal settings and it fixes the issue.

I cant tell you how thankfull i am for this bro. This has been an issue i have been trying to solve for 3 months.

Boot time is now fast as can be :)

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 5 weeks later...

I've a problem like this. It happen if i don't deactivate my Realtek 8139C. It appears the usual black screen at boot, but the computer remains stuck, no matter how long i wait! I tried to configure the LAN with a fixed IP, to remove ACPI from BIOS, to force the card to another IRQ (it doesn't know reason, it takes IRQs 11 or 12, not the 9 it was used to). Ah, i upgraded from Win 98 to XP and i installed the latest drivers for my hardware trying to resolve this problem. And it's not the only one: it's the same for my audio card (in this case the boot process stop even earlier, when there is the progress bar showed). What's the matter?!? :dead: