Windows XP mini SP4?

Hi :)

I just went trough the nightmare of installing Windows XP (with SP3 already slipstreamed on the CD) on an old machine that doesn't support Windows 7...

113 Updates

+/- 200MB of updates

2 hours of updating...

Please tell me, that even if XP is going to be unsupported in 2014, Microsoft will at-least release some kind of SP(like they did for windows 2000, the after SP4 mini update) with the last 3 years of updates on windows update...

Yes?

My god what a nightmare...

Even if they don't, there are people who have made packages and automatic slip-streamers at various points. I'm sure even if MS doesn't bother, someone else (and more then likely, a few people) will put together their own unofficial methods.

Try googling it, I'm sure the packages that already exist will make your life easier.

Thanks for the answers :)

But look I already know about that packs, back in my XP days I even used almost everyday Autopatcher ( A project started here in Neowin )...

It's just there's nothing like the "Official way" ;)

What do you mean doesn't support Win7? Almost any machine that supports XP supports 7

I could maybe understand that if you were talking performance-wise (tho I've seen XP on a P2 233). But they're plenty of old hardware out their without win7 drivers.

What do you mean doesn't support Win7? Almost any machine that supports XP supports 7

Tell that to my Pentium III 550 with 448 MB RAM (or my Pentium III 1 GHz with 384 MB RAM).

Tell that to my Pentium III 550 with 448 MB RAM (or my Pentium III 1 GHz with 384 MB RAM).

Both of those will probably run Win7 perfectly fine, good point about the drivers though.

Grab yourself a copy of nLite and get the update packs at RyanVM's forum (the link ozzy76 posted above), or other sources.

This way you can keep your installation source updated by integrating the updates into it. You will save yourself hours.

Please tell me, that even if XP is going to be unsupported in 2014, Microsoft will at-least release some kind of SP(like they did for windows 2000, the after SP4 mini update) with the last 3 years of updates on windows update...

They won't. They've been trying to get rid of Windows XP for years.

They won't. They've been trying to get rid of Windows XP for years.

Then why did MS release SP4 for 2000? Presumably, they wanted everyone off 2000, and to get onto the XP train.

Both of those will probably run Win7 perfectly fine, good point about the drivers though.

Perfectly fine?!!

Man, you must be on some real low quality dope?!

I have some ancient machines here by today's standards with Windows 7 on them and can barely tolerate using them and only do when I have too, which isn't very often.

I probably would physically kick the s**t out of either of those boxes even with XP on them, if they were mine.

Very doubtful of any mini SP4 though. Don't see it happening.

• Like 1

The only thing I can tell you is just let it go. It is not going to happen, Microsoft wants XP gone just as they wanted to close down Vista (which they have done). Microsoft at the moment is looking toward Win 8, and could care less about XP.

Then why did MS release SP4 for 2000? Presumably, they wanted everyone off 2000, and to get onto the XP train.

2000 was released for Business use, you want to keep your business base happy don't you? Even then - XP wasn't that great until SP2

No. A lot of older hardware doesn't work properly in windows 7.

The answer is very simple. Install windows -> Install latest updates -> Image it! When you need a fresh install simply restore the image. No more installing 200mb worth of updates for 2hrs.

The answer is very simple. Install windows -> Install latest updates -> Image it! When you need a fresh install simply restore the image. No more installing 200mb worth of updates for 2hrs.

What if you need to install it on many different computers? Not so easy then...

It is easy.

There are several programs for doing offline updates:

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Integrating updating into media:

http://www.nliteos.com/

There are a couple of others that I can't remember right off. MS even has a disc with all the updates of it.

You can also image between different hardware by using SYSPREP or Acronis Universal Restore or similar.

Thanks for the answers :)

But look I already know about that packs, back in my XP days I even used almost everyday Autopatcher ( A project started here in Neowin )...

It's just there's nothing like the "Official way" ;)

autopatcher still exist Google/bing it :)

Windows 2000 is targeted toward businesses 'exclusively'

What do you mean by "run Win7 perfectly fine" ? startup that will take 25 Minutes ?

Windows 7 Should not be installed on hardware that dose not have the following (and may never even install at all)

1GHZ CPU

1GIG of memory

WDDM Compatible Video Card

20/40GIG HDD

windows 7 will not install on any thing that dose not have at lest 512MB of memory. You may tweak a file that allows the limit to be 256MB but its not supported.

so no windows 7 will not install and run fine on any pc that windows XP can run.

XP Requirements Minimal were

266Mhz Intell

96MB ram

SVGA card

3/6 GIG HDD

good luck getting windows 7 to install on something like that.

actually its not hard at all.. All u need is the right image program.

Universal Imaging Utility (UIU)

How the UIU Works

Your cloning process begins just like it would for any base image setup. First, you prepare your master machine with any applications, setting, programs etc. that you want to deploy to other workstations. After base image configuration, the UIU is run.

Second, the UIU begins by resetting your existing Windows operating system to a simple "pre-installation" state, allowing for correct detection of different hardware platforms upon image deployment without crashing the systems. No more BSOD.

The UIU then runs MIMIC (Master Image Machine Integrity Check) for base image best practices and a pre-deployment Discovery Tool allowing you to access your environment and make any necessary adjustments before continuing the process.

Next, a regularly updated driver database is installed, assuring greater compatibility with new hardware components. As you acquire new hardware, with new video, network and audio components, you need not maintain the necessary drivers; Big Bang does the work for you. Big Bang's driver database contains drivers and Plug and Play IDs for all the latest hardware and chipsets.

Then, Microsoft Sysprep is launched. Running Sysprep helps keep you in compliance with Microsoft's standards for disk imaging, and the UIU uses it to help detect the hardware components on a machine receiving a Universal Image. Additionally, Sysprep will change the Security ID (SID) on your recipient PCs, allowing for consistent interaction with any Active Directory domain structure. The UIU handles Sysprep answer files for you, (both XP .inf and the new Vista and 7 .xml format), so there is no need to build a custom Sysprep answer file.

Finally, during Windows mini-setup, UIU detects and installs the correct HAL (ACPI, UniProcessor or MultiProcessor), and handles all hardware driver installations, now including High Definition Audio devices.

PRODUCT LIMITATIONS

The UIU is not designed to function with Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2003/2008 Server versions.

The UIU does not support RAID based systems.

A UIU image created on a fully ACPI compliant system will not be compatible with older, non-ACPI compliant (Standard PC) systems.

Deployment from a SCSI based system to an IDE/ATA/PATA/SATA system may fail. The UIU supports imaging to a non-RAID SCSI system, but not from a SCSI system.