Installing Clean OSX Lion from a DVD or USB stick

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#16 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 July 2011 - 18:10

I've formatted my 4GB USB stick to mac osx journaled guid partition table and it keeps saying i dont have enough space when i try to restore :(

Capacity : 3.68 GB (3,678,363,648 Bytes)

Free Space : 3.65 GB (3,652,558,848 Bytes)

Used : 25.8 MB (25,804,800 Bytes)

Number of Files : 44

Number of Folders : 12

weird as i've erased it. says capacity is 4.02gb else where.

#17 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

Mississippian by birth and by choice

Posted 20 July 2011 - 18:17

If that DMG is compressed (which it likely is) then it isn't going to restore onto a 4GB flash drive, it is going to need a larger one.

#18 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 20 July 2011 - 18:19

I've formatted my 4GB USB stick to mac osx journaled guid partition table and it keeps saying i dont have enough space when i try to restore :( [...] weird as i've erased it. says capacity is 4.02gb else where.

Not sure I fully understand your confusion to be honest. Disk Utility gives out an error saying the target disk doesn't have enough free space, which means you need a higher capacity drive. Seems pretty straight forward, no? The restored DMG requires a total of 3,8 GB of free space, your drive only has 3,65 GB. It should be noted that the capacity of any drive ≠ formatted capacity.

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2011-07-20 at 20.19.03.png

#19 Nerd Rage

Nerd Rage

RAGE!

Posted 20 July 2011 - 18:22

total size after being restored is 3.82GB

EDIT: Neo beat me to it :)

#20 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

Posted 20 July 2011 - 18:27

Not sure I fully understand your confusion to be honest. Disk Utility gives out an error saying the target disk doesn't have enough free space, which means you need a higher capacity drive. Seems pretty straight forward, no? The restored DMG requires a total of 3,8 GB of free space, your drive only has 3,65 GB. It should be noted that the capacity of any drive ≠ formatted capacity.

I'm not confused, i have a 4GB USB disk so i assumed that would work since thats what is being talked about on the first page of this thread, so you need at least a 5GB USB disk, not 4GB

#21 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 20 July 2011 - 18:30

I'm not confused, i have a 4GB USB disk so i assumed that would work since thats what is being talked about on the first page of this thread, so you need at least a 5GB USB disk, not 4GB

That person is wrong (Disk Utility giving out a "not enough disk space"-error should be a hint). The first post clearly shows an 8 GB drive being used for the process. Any external drive or DVD-R(W) will do as well. Good luck!

#22 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

Posted 20 July 2011 - 18:43

Burning to DVD now anyway :)

#23 Zoom7000

Zoom7000

The Ankle Breaker

• Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 20 July 2011 - 19:17

I've already installed Lion before I could burn the DMG and now I can't see the install file anywhere. Looked in /Applications and did a Spotlight search too. Does the Lion installation delete the file? If so, how can I re-download it from the App Store?

#24 Julienprz

Julienprz

Neowinian

Posted 20 July 2011 - 19:37

Though very retarded and disorganized, creating a clean install without installing Snow Leopard first is fairly simple.

Thanks for sharing, this is pretty usefull.

I've already installed Lion before I could burn the DMG and now I can't see the install file anywhere. Looked in /Applications and did a Spotlight search too. Does the Lion installation delete the file? If so, how can I re-download it from the App Store?

Yes it delete the file after installing... Do not know if it's possible to re-download from the M.A.S.

#25 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 20 July 2011 - 23:18

Do not know if it's possible to re-download from the M.A.S.

You can re-download all applications from the App Store. Including OS X Lion and Xcode. Personally I just made a backup on my external drive.

#26 vip

vip

Neowin's Winnaer!!!1!!1

Posted 21 July 2011 - 00:46

Ok, so I made a Time Machine backup before install lion ... it's on an external HD. Question is ... how do I get my stuff back now? First time I've ever used Time Machine.

#27 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 21 July 2011 - 00:52

Ok, so I made a Time Machine backup before install lion ... it's on an external HD. Question is ... how do I get my stuff back now? First time I've ever used Time Machine.

There's an option in both the installer and when setting up your Mac right after your installation is finished. Alternatively you can launch Migration Assistant from /Applications/Utilities.

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2011-07-21 at 02.52.48.png

#28 vip

vip

Neowin's Winnaer!!!1!!1

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:29

awesome thanks didn't even think of the migration assistant!

#29 perochan

perochan

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:00

where is the Lion dmg file after i installed??? i couldnt find the file anymore.... :(

#30 Bad Boy Nibbler

Bad Boy Nibbler

Neowinian

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:38

where is the Lion dmg file after i installed??? i couldnt find the file anymore.... :(

read Julienprz post above