Just got PSP.. what can I do with this?

Well, yesterday, my GF brings up, " I have the god of war PSP edition, which I haven't played in at least a year, you want it?" I was like, hell yeah... but now I'm like, " I know there is a huge mod scene for this gizmo.." But I have no clue as to what to really do or where to start.

Anyone have any helpful links or suggestions?

It has I think a 1 gig memory card, as it says there is about 968mb free. She has a couple movies and a few USD? games, but nothing else.

Do I need Wifi for it to connect to my PC, or will USB work?

The game share thing.. is that where if I have a game, but a friend doesn't, we can still play multiplayer against each other? If not.. what is that?

Can I import any PSN games from my PS3 to this, or is that only Vita?

You could install custom firmware on your PSP, that will allow you to use many homebrew applications and emulators on it.

As it happens I just updated my PSP to the latest firmware the other day and did a little write up on it, see: Install or use custom firmware on any 6.39 PSP [PSP, PSP Slim, PSP 3000, PSP Go]

All PSP's are hackable on the latest firmware at the moment (6.39), however you can only make the hack permanent on the older PSP and PSP Slim models. Basically on the later slims, PSP 3000 and PSP Go you loose the ability to run homebrew apps when you fully power the system off. However you can easily restore the ability by simply running an app and your good to go a few seconds later.

I believe because the keys for the PSP were found with all the PS3 hacking that went on you can also sign your own apps and use them on any PSP regardless of it running custom firmware or not, thats something I have not looked in to though as I hacked mine many years ago now.

At the moment I have on my PSP:

PicoDrive - Sega Megadrive Emulator

Daedalus - N64 Emulator

Snes9x Euphoria - Snes Emulator

Gpsp - GameBoy Advanced Emulator

ScummVM - Can play old adventure games such as Day of the Tenticle

Quake - port of the PC game

Duke Nukem 3D - Port of the PC game

PSP Radio - Stream shoutcast radio stations.

I have ripped and compressed all the game i own so i can play them off the memory stick. I find that handy so you can carry multiple games around and not worry about having loads of UMD's with you. See: How to rip and compress your PSP UMD games

With game sharing you can usually share a cutdown version of a games multiplayer (if supported) and play it with your friends even if they do not own the game. I have shared my Bomberman game to 3 other people and it works quite well, with Bomberman anyway you did not get the full multiplayer experience but its great to be able to play with friends who do not own the game.

You connect your PSP to the PC using a USB cable, thats how you normally access the memory card.

I hope thats some help anyway, until the other day I had not used my PSP for years so i have been reading up on the latest developments myself.

You could install custom firmware on your PSP, that will allow you to use many homebrew applications and emulators on it.

As it happens I just updated my PSP to the latest firmware the other day and did a little write up on it, see: Install or use custom firmware on any 6.39 PSP [PSP, PSP Slim, PSP 3000, PSP Go]

All PSP's are hackable on the latest firmware at the moment (6.39), however you can only make the hack permanent on the older PSP and PSP Slim models. Basically on the later slims, PSP 3000 and PSP Go you loose the ability to run homebrew apps when you fully power the system off. However you can easily restore the ability by simply running an app and your good to go a few seconds later.

I believe because the keys for the PSP were found with all the PS3 hacking that went on you can also sign your own apps and use them on any PSP regardless of it running custom firmware or not, thats something I have not looked in to though as I hacked mine many years ago now.

At the moment I have on my PSP:

PicoDrive - Sega Megadrive Emulator

Daedalus - N64 Emulator

Snes9x Euphoria - Snes Emulator

Gpsp - GameBoy Advanced Emulator

ScummVM - Can play old adventure games such as Day of the Tenticle

Quake - port of the PC game

Duke Nukem 3D - Port of the PC game

PSP Radio - Stream shoutcast radio stations.

I have ripped and compressed all the game i own so i can play them off the memory stick. I find that handy so you can carry multiple games around and not worry about having loads of UMD's with you. See: How to rip and compress your PSP UMD games

With game sharing you can usually share a cutdown version of a games multiplayer (if supported) and play it with your friends even if they do not own the game. I have shared my Bomberman game to 3 other people and it works quite well, with Bomberman anyway you did not get the full multiplayer experience but its great to be able to play with friends who do not own the game.

You connect your PSP to the PC using a USB cable, thats how you normally access the memory card.

I hope thats some help anyway, until the other day I had not used my PSP for years so i have been reading up on the latest developments myself.

Awesome reply. I've never modded my PSP but after providing all this info I think I'm going to have to give it a go.

Thanks.

Edit:

Got warning about site from my AV, tried to continue to the site anyway but it looks like it's down.

Awesome reply. I've never modded my PSP but after providing all this info I think I'm going to have to give it a go.

Thanks.

Edit:

Got warning about site from my AV, tried to continue to the site anyway but it looks like it's down.

It's up here :/ was working last night too when I checked. May well update my PSP currently on official FW as I have been filling it with the PS1 games and Minis from my PSN+ sub.

Which page of the site was that on can i ask?

I get no warnings here using Google Chrome and Sophos Antivirus. Sophos didn't used like to like UMD Gen, one of the applications I attached. However in later versions its stopped flagging it up as a false positive.

Which page of the site was that on can i ask?

I get no warnings here using Google Chrome and Sophos Antivirus. Sophos didn't used like to like UMD Gen, one of the applications I attached. However in later versions its stopped flagging it up as a false positive.

It was the UMD ripping page.

Seems fine now.

I haven't tried anything on this yet, except getting all the free psp and ps1/2 games that I can play on this from the store :) Never knew this little thing could do so much.

Ok, no one mentioned Remote Play... WTH GUYS! :p Loving this more and more. Watching all my movies stored on my PC on this is awesome. Good to know my wireless router is fast enough for it, since they are all 1080p rips.

Im using the private network connection to it though... If I was oot n aboot, and at a starbucks, and chose internet connection... Would it still stream as fast? or is that really only good for internet browsing?

Ok, no one mentioned Remote Play... WTH GUYS! :p Loving this more and more. Watching all my movies stored on my PC on this is awesome. Good to know my wireless router is fast enough for it, since they are all 1080p rips.

Im using the private network connection to it though... If I was oot n aboot, and at a starbucks, and chose internet connection... Would it still stream as fast? or is that really only good for internet browsing?

Oh yeah, Remote Play ;) It should be fine, although playing at a lower quality. In the UK we can also remote play in to our Play TV and watch anything we have recorded or even watch Live TV on the PSP :)

Oh yeah, Remote Play ;) It should be fine, although playing at a lower quality. In the UK we can also remote play in to our Play TV and watch anything we have recorded or even watch Live TV on the PSP :)

I read about that.. so jealous. Tonight I'm going to see if I can get playon or tversity to work so I can do hulu and netflix through it lol.

You legend, saved me a **** load of time searching for relevant updated info:) Been meaning to update mine for a while, haven't touched it for.... must be years lol. Still on 4.01 M33-2

Oh wow, definitely going to mod my PSP now! Thanks!

Also, not to change the subject, but how do you revert from custom firmware back to Sony's official firmware?

@Auroka

A God of War PSP Edition eh... I assume you are have a PSP 3000/3001? Just fully turn off your PSP and power it back up and you'll be back to the official firmware.

@Auroka

A God of War PSP Edition eh... I assume you are have a PSP 3000/3001? Just fully turn off your PSP and power it back up and you'll be back to the official firmware.

No, its the OP that has the God of War Edition.

Mine is my cousin's old PSP-1000.