Photo

OS X Lion Tips & Tricks thread

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#31 ynnoj

ynnoj

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:14

What happened to a swipe going backwards and forwards in Finder and other apps?

#32 OP .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:39

What happened to a swipe going backwards and forwards in Finder and other apps?

It's funny you should ask that, just now I was navigating around the Finder and wondered the same thing. I could swear at least one of the Developer Previews had this functionality in at least the Finder. :/ I don't get why Safari gets this fancy "card stacking" of pages and the Finder doesn't. They're essentially the same type of application by it locally vs internet.

#33 ynnoj

ynnoj

Posted 24 July 2011 - 14:36

It's funny you should ask that, just now I was navigating around the Finder and wondered the same thing. I could swear at least one of the Developer Previews had this functionality in at least the Finder. :/ I don't get why Safari gets this fancy "card stacking" of pages and the Finder doesn't. They're essentially the same type of application by it locally vs internet.

It was still there when I just upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion. Now I've done a clean install it's gone.

Missing it!

#34 ynnoj

ynnoj

Posted 24 July 2011 - 15:07

I've found an option in System Preferences which fixes this.

Posted Image

#35 OP .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 24 July 2011 - 15:20

It doesn't fix it for the Finder...

#36 ynnoj

ynnoj

Posted 24 July 2011 - 15:23

It doesn't fix it for the Finder...

3 finger swipe works in Finder and iTunes here, and I still have the nice 2 finger page turn effect in Safari.

#37 OP .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 24 July 2011 - 15:25

Well three finger swipe is already in use to flip between spaces. :/ Not finding it convenient to change it to four. Bit insane that it doesn't just work if you set things to two fingers, which is the option by default.

#38 ynnoj

ynnoj

Posted 24 July 2011 - 15:28

Well three finger swipe is already in use to flip between spaces. :/

That becomes a 4 finger swipe, which is fine by me.

#39 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 July 2011 - 23:28

Use the Maximiser app by chpwn to add Full Screen functionality to all apps, works great in Chrome - Maximiser

My chrome already has a fullscreen option? The arrows are at the top right, I click them and it expands.

--
Seems like Mission Control and Show Desktop are near the same gesture and my trackpad can't determine which one I'm trying to do. Also, I thought there was autocorrect?

#40 OP .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 26 July 2011 - 00:35

Has anyone found out a way to uncheck the checkbox by default? I'm using keyboard shortcuts to shutdown/restart/logout my Mac and I'm finding it fairly annoying that the OS keeps restoring my windows afterwards.

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2011-07-26 at 02.31.46.png

#41 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:28

I have a question, I have 2 HD's with the a music folder on each, if I transfer one music folder to the other harddrive will OSX combine them together like Windows does? Because it just asks if I'd like to replace the folder, and I don't want to do that, I want to make sure I transfer that folder over. Just incase one of my music folder has more mp3s than the other. Trying to organize my music.

#42 OP .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:39

According to Apple:

Merge folders
When you try to combine two folders with the same name, the Finder now offers to merge them into a single folder.

Simply click the "Keep Both" button instead of of Replace All". It will indeed merge folders like Windows Explorer does in that case rather than replacing things. I've just tried it myself.

#43 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 July 2011 - 13:22

I don't have "Keep Both" I just have "Keep Newer" is that what you meant? I selected "Keep Newer" so wish me luck. 93GB of Albums, hopefully nothing gets erased.

#44 OP .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 26 July 2011 - 13:29

I don't have "Keep Both" I just have "Keep Newer" is that what you meant? I selected "Keep Newer" so wish me luck. 93GB of Albums, hopefully nothing gets erased.

You're now replacing the older folder version with the newer one instead of merging both.

The "Keep Both" option only appears when folders with the same name have unique content though. So apparently only one folder has content the other one doesn't have instead of both?

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2011-07-26 at 15.28.14.png

#45 vetgiga

giga

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 July 2011 - 13:41

Side note: "Keep both" for folder merging only appears when you copy a folder to another location, not move. Finder always moves folders located on the same partition, so just dragging and dropping them won't work unless you hold down option and the green plus icon appears. Or you can use the default copy/paste keyboard shortcuts.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!