OS X Lion Tips & Tricks thread

Gadly following your thread from the beginning, and followed some of your tips.

But there's something I would like to ask any of you, have you noticed the new behaviour on Lion, that after sleeping it doens't wakeup with a flick of the mouse as before (after some minutes) because I've set a hot corner for the screen to sleep, and it works (mouse flicking to wake it up) for some time, but after sometime it stops, and can only start with a keyboard press. I've fiddled with energy settings, Display sleep (set for one hour 'cose I use the hotcorner), but to no avail.

Another very annoying thing, is that mission control unlike expos?, stopped showing minimized windows, so I have no way to see minimized windows as of now....Bummer :blink:

If any of you know of a way out of any of this, it would be great!

I've noticed the issue with waking from sleep an assumed it was a bug.

As for minimised windows, if you double tap with 2 fingers on the appropriate app dock icon that will show all windows including those minimised. Same works for 3 finger swipe down (which I believe you have to enable).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the 3 finger page up/down is no longer supported. I tried to bring it back, but now it either does dragging (if you enable it) or nothing at all.

Thanks for the heads up. It's a shame though, I really got used to that gesture and I'm still doing it on Lion with undesired results! :p

Thanks for the heads up. It's a shame though, I really got used to that gesture and I'm still doing it on Lion with undesired results! :p

Same. Not sure why they felt the need to restrict gestures that used to be customizable. I don't mind the addition of a ton of new gestures, but I should be able to interchange them as I want to.

I guess they did it to maintain simplicity. I'll just hope that they end up allowing us to change things up in future Lion releases.

PS. I found out that if you disable three finger swipe, you can set swiping forward and backward to "two or three fingers". Doesn't really solve the problem, but at least three finger swipes won't just sit there and do nothing.

but I should be able to interchange them as I want to.

I don't think you should. For this reason:

I guess they did it to maintain simplicity.

;)

For "more advanced" users, theres always BetterTouchTool, so you can disable the gestures that come by default and assign your own. :)

I guess they did it to maintain simplicity. I'll just hope that they end up allowing us to change things up in future Lion releases.

My concern is always that I can happily customise how I like on my personal MBP, but when in the working environment, it becomes a rather annoying issue, switching between custom and stock settings. But yes, the mere ability to be able to customise within Lion itself would be nice indeed.

Let me answer this question myself.. I'm using my own plist file which you can see is based on my location in Denmark. You can try using SE, NL or any other language code.

Well I tried following your guide but I can't make much sense of it. What part of .GlobalPreferences.plist needs to be changed exactly and what app did you use for it?

For "more advanced" users, theres always BetterTouchTool, so you can disable the gestures that come by default and assign your own. :)

Meh. I don't like using third party tools that are more like extensions to the OS. I avoid them like the plague. Gestures are done on the OS level, so I would prefer if the OS provided me with the level of customization that I want (if I choose to have it). Trust me, Apple could have done it without increasing complexity. I'm just going to assume they got lazy and had time constraints for the release.

surely there's any easier way to move multiple icons onto different pages in launchpad! Is it exactly the same as iOS, one icon at a time??

surely there's any easier way to move multiple icons onto different pages in launchpad! Is it exactly the same as iOS, one icon at a time??

Sadly, yes.

Unbelievable, but yes.

Change Launchpad background effect:

Open Launchpad and press Cmd+B. To change to another effect, press it again.

Effects are:

- b&w sharp wallpaper

- b&w blur wallpaper

- color sharp wallpaper

- color blur wallpaper

In Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.dock mineffect -string suck

then

killall Dock

to enable suck minimize effect. it has been around before lion, also works for lion.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone found out a way to uncheck the checkbox by default? I'm using keyboard shortcuts to shutdown/restart/logout my Mac and I'm finding it fairly annoying that the OS keeps restoring my windows afterwards.

I would like to know this too, i have disabled restore for Apps but this option is annoying.

Don't know if it's been posted, but I discovered today you can see the contents of each space in Mission Control by swiping left and right with three fingers. Gives a handy larger preview of full screen apps, too.

Does anybody know how to stop TextEdit from doing 'Save Version' instead of 'Save'? I'd like to bring back the old functionality if possible. In short, it will currently revert the file extension back to .txt automatically, even if it's something different. Bit annoying. :p

Does anybody know how to stop TextEdit from doing 'Save Version' instead of 'Save'? I'd like to bring back the old functionality if possible. In short, it will currently revert the file extension back to .txt automatically, even if it's something different. Bit annoying. :p

Not sure I'm following you. I just did a new .txt document, saved it, changed the extension to .csv, edited it in TextEdit and resaved it and it saved as a CSV. "Save a Version" didn't change it back to TXT, even though it kept the old TXT versions referenced in Versions.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this solution a while back but decided not to use it because it disabled the feature altogether. I just want the check box to be unchecked by default, rather than on, but with the ability to check it if needed. It annoys me that so far I haven't found a solution for this. Right now that's the only true issue I have left with OS X Lion on a daily basis.

In Mission Control, if you have an application window you want to move to a different space, click on it in the main window and drag it to the new space. It will also offer up an option to create a new space.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Change Launchpad background effect:

Open Launchpad and press Cmd+B. To change to another effect, press it again.

Effects are:

- b&w sharp wallpaper

- b&w blur wallpaper

- color sharp wallpaper

- color blur wallpaper

They changed it in Mountain Lion to Control + Option + Command + B :)