Buying in the us and shipping to uk

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

• 999 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 00:06

Hey all sorry to bother you but i just wondered would if anyone had any experience in doing this? Mainly with computer parts as i would like to upgrade my computer and from what i can gather (without shipping fees so far) it seems i can get better parts a little cheaper as you will see below i have just never used anything like this before so wondering if i am saving or not lol

Here are the parts i would of got from overclockers which is a bundle:
- CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 Hex Core 1055T 2.80GHz
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard
- RAM: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel
Cost: £201.98
Shipping: £10.00

Here are the parts from new egg:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
MSI 870S-G46 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory
Cost: $309.97 - £188.71
Shipping: ?
Bongous: ?

Thanks for any help in advance.

#2 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 00:17

Does newegg even ship to the UK ?

£188 from US, then add shipping, your not going to be saving anything over £212 from the UK

And along with trying to save a few pennies, what you going to do if a part is faulty ? Then you have to ship it back to the US and wait weeks for it to be replaced etc etc

Not worth the hassle - buy from your own country

#3 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,610 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 00:43

Don't forget VAT if it all comes in one package.

#4 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• 3,652 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 30 July 2011 - 00:55

VAT applies per item if it's not in one package

#5 OP Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

• 999 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:48

@Detection - No new egg does not deliver to the UK its only USA and Puerto Rico i'll explain more in a second.

@Jakem1 & Cooky560 - This is something i need help understanding.

Ok here is the plan, first i was going to set up an account with http://bongous.com "PACKAGE AND MAIL FORWARDING SERVICES - When you get a US address and EU address from Bongo you can shop USA and shop EU websites. Packages are sent to your Bongo address for forwarding to your country."

Now according to that website, i can make multiple orders and let them know there will be a delivery to them, they then put all the items into one box to help keep the costs lower (Consolidate shipments)
Example: Posted Image

Now of cause i dont know how to actually work out the tax but im guessing it would be this page: https://bongous.com/shipping-rates.php this is why i need help im no good when it comes to working things out specially money to me its here today gone tomorrow wow had a great time! lol Im guessing i wouldnt see much saved though.

#6 acnpt

acnpt

Neowinian Senior

• 5,843 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:37

No, that's just the shipping price.

#7 hjf288

hjf288

Korean Crazy Man!

• 2,423 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:28

Customs would want your back pocket also..

#8 OP Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

• 999 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:32

ok thanks for the info much appreciated!

#9 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• 3,652 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 30 July 2011 - 14:04

VAT is 20%, so add 20% to the total price of whatever it is and that's your tax, VAT is also payable on services, so the shipping is taxable also.

So if your newegg total is $400 and your courier wants $100 thats $500 and VAT would be $100 (20% of $500) making the total $600

#10 acnpt

acnpt

Neowinian Senior

• 5,843 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 15:45

You have to pay DHL £1.25 or 2% of duty +VAT as an admin charge too, if it isn't paid upfront. Which is surprisingly reasonable.:blink::)

Also why are you buying from overclockers? Ebuyer + Amazon are usually cheaper, and offer free delivery and better customer service.

#11 OP Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

• 999 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 16:48

Tbh ive just been looking around overclockers is about a 10minute drive, but may use scan or aria their prices seemed a little better than ebuyer never thought about play or amazon will check them too!

Thanks to everyone that replied i thought i was getting a decent deal but after tax and shipping comes out worse it seems.

#12 acnpt

acnpt

Neowinian Senior

• 5,843 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 17:04

Tbh ive just been looking around overclockers is about a 10minute drive, but may use scan or aria their prices seemed a little better than ebuyer never thought about play or amazon will check them too!

Thanks to everyone that replied i thought i was getting a decent deal but after tax and shipping comes out worse it seems.

You can get free next day delivery with Scan if your a member of AV Forums. ;) Plus they use DPD who give an estimate delivery time.

#13 vetNicholas-c

Nicholas-c

Apeture Scientist #74395

• 13,654 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 17:09

Not worth it really, Better off buying from overclockers.co.uk or the likes. By the time you have paid for the shipping, import tax etc (I have had to pay it 2 out of 3 times, even if they were sent as gifts) It just isn't worth it.

#14 fr33k

fr33k

Neowinian Senior

• 2,667 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 17:32

NewEgg has United States | Canada | China. They need to add a Europe site too like in Germany with an English option or something.
Do people have to pay a vat tax in the uk if shipped from Europe? If they do then a shipping warehouse in England would be good so the UKers can avoid the VAT.

#15 OP Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

• 999 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 21:25

You can get free next day delivery with Scan if your a member of AV Forums. ;) Plus they use DPD who give an estimate delivery time.

Thanks for that, is there any catch minimum posts etc etc?

Not worth it really, Better off buying from overclockers.co.uk or the likes. By the time you have paid for the shipping, import tax etc (I have had to pay it 2 out of 3 times, even if they were sent as gifts) It just isn't worth it.

Yeh i see that now i didnt realise had to pay tax on top of that, i used the overclockers site because they are close to me but if im honest i do try and avoid buying from them unless i really need the parts that instant they are more expensive and support is a joke on top of that since they moved its abit of a pain.

NewEgg has United States | Canada | China. They need to add a Europe site too like in Germany with an English option or something.Do people have to pay a vat tax in the uk if shipped from Europe? If they do then a shipping warehouse in England would be good so the UKers can avoid the VAT.

Would be nice, just depends on if the prices were still so competitive all i ever see amercians talk about is newegg or possibly tigerdirect.