Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:01

Story:

Bought a New Aspire One D257

Windows 7 Starters Edition X86
1.66GHZ Atom
1GIG DDR3
GMA 3150
250GIG 5400 HDD

Windows 7 x86 Starters edition preloaded. It has a habit of locking up and then unlocking up 30 Seconds later. It seems to be a lack of memory. Who at MS said 1 GIG would run windows 7?

So I decided to load Ubuntu 11.4 x86 and so far it worked right OOBE (loaded all drivers perfectly)
I notice the default Drive layout is / & swap at 1.1gig? thought it be higher then that?

Truth be told I hate linux but it seems to handles this Netbook a lot better then windows 7 dose. The thing that got me hooked is the new Unity Desktop ubuntu made standard. No start menu, A sexy side bar, When u click the (Ubuntu Orb) it loads a tile menu screen on the desktop. runs really sexy. love were the search bar is. I hope windows Start Screen has this basic idea. A lot of Icons/Titles + a search bar.

I love a world with out a start menu. It works really well. Give Ubuntu 11.4+ Unity or Gnome 3 a Try to see what its all about.

#2 Prince781

Prince781

Shuriken-Throwing Ninja

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:13

A sexy side bar, When u click the (Ubuntu Orb) it loads a tile menu screen on the desktop. runs really sexy.

Calm down and stop sweating, it's just an OS. Not a person. :rolleyes:

#3 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Wolves, sounds like you got yourself a dud >.<

I have it running on a couple of atoms and it runs fine >.<

I booted it on a 256MB VM and it runs fine (and beats the **** out of my harddrive) and same with the P4 :p

1Gb should have been fine >.<

#4 OuchOfDeath

OuchOfDeath

Neowinian

I'm not sure what the issue is. One issue with a fresh install of Windows is it spends some time indexing your files, and this significantly slows down the machine if the hard drive is slow. I don't know if this is the issue, but if it is then it would have resolved after a day or so.

The other issue is yes there might be a memory issue and having a page file on a 5400rpm drive can cause significant slowdowns. Memory is really cheap these days so adding another gig would be $20 or $30 and the problem would go away if that is it. Linux is absolutely way lighter on memory though, you're correct.

#5 +Matthew S.

Matthew S.

What the what

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:14

I have windows 7 home premium loaded onto an older aspire one (It came preloaded with XP) and it runs flawlessly, even with aero enabled/. I would personally think theres something wrong with yours.

#6 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:26

You're right. It actually runs decently on 512MB.

It's not Windows 7 causing the issue.

#7 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:30

Calm down and stop sweating, it's just an OS. Not a person. :rolleyes:

Hmm. Some operating systems can be sexy though; Windows Phone is an example :wub:

#8 still1

still1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:32

Story:

Bought a New Aspire One D257

Windows 7 Starters Edition X86
1.66GHZ Atom
1GIG DDR3
GMA 3150
250GIG 5400 HDD

Windows 7 x86 Starters edition preloaded. It has a habit of locking up and then unlocking up 30 Seconds later. It seems to be a lack of memory. Who at MS said 1 GIG would run windows 7?

So I decided to load Ubuntu 11.4 x86 and so far it worked right OOBE (loaded all drivers perfectly)
I notice the default Drive layout is / & swap at 1.1gig? thought it be higher then that?

Truth be told I hate linux but it seems to handles this Netbook a lot better then windows 7 dose. The thing that got me hooked is the new Unity Desktop ubuntu made standard. No start menu, A sexy side bar, When u click the (Ubuntu Orb) it loads a tile menu screen on the desktop. runs really sexy. love were the search bar is. I hope windows Start Screen has this basic idea. A lot of Icons/Titles + a search bar.

I love a world with out a start menu. It works really well. Give Ubuntu 11.4+ Unity or Gnome 3 a Try to see what its all about.

I installed 7 on a a 7 year old PC and it works like a charm.... I think u have something wrong with ur new netbook.....
p4 512mb RAM...

#9 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:34

Hmm. Some operating systems can be sexy though; Windows Phone is an example :wub:

That a boy :p

#10 Digitalx

Digitalx

Antz007x

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:43

1GB is plenty... It's more then likely the unfortunate performance of atoms or other hardware. either way it's hardware and not software.

#11 Lels

Lels

Man, I love being a turtle!

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:46

Got Windows 7 Ultimate running on my netbook and runs just fine. Mine also came with 7 Starter Edition and it seemed to run worse than full blown 7 for some odd reason. Ubuntu uses less memory on it, but seems to run a little slower with opening of apps and system settings and what not.

#12 HDavid

HDavid

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:57

I have the exact same problem.... However I have much higher specs on my notebook. Dual core, 2gigs of 1333Mhz ram etc.
This problem is all over the internet and there is no solution. Very very annoying... :(
Happens on x86 and x64 windows7 too.

#13 eilegz

eilegz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:09

get windows XP its just better for those specs... unless you are using that just for browsing then stay with linux and firefox

#14 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:10

your problem is that you're not running vanilla windows 7, but rather windows 7 bloated by all the crapware that the OEM has thrown on. that **** doesn't run well on ANY system.

#15 Lels

Lels

Man, I love being a turtle!

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:10

I have the exact same problem.... However I have much higher specs on my notebook. Dual core, 2gigs of 1333Mhz ram etc.
This problem is all over the internet and there is no solution. Very very annoying... :(
Happens on x86 and x64 windows7 too.

Is yours starter edition as well or is a full version of 7?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!