MS Awarded with Patent for sliding Mobile Device

image_thumb25.png

Abstract

Mobile communications devices having moveable housings are described. In an implementation, a mobile communications device includes a first housing that includes a display device; and a second housing that includes a keyboard. At least one of the first or second housings are moveable between a first configuration in which the first housing substantially covers the second housing so the keyboard is covered and the display device is viewable and a second configuration in which the keyboard is exposed and positioned such that an outer plane of the keyboard is positioned in a substantially similar plane to that of an outer surface of the display device.

Source - http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-awarded-with-patent-for-sliding-mobile-device-wait-what/

Looks like someone should actually read the patent before assuming.

Oh, I did read it. And I also learnt that Microsoft later bought the company that made the first phone based on this patent. However, that was a few years ago and Microsoft just applied for this last year.

What gives?

Oh, I did read it. And I also learnt that Microsoft later bought the company that made the first phone based on this patent. However, that was a few years ago and Microsoft just applied for this last year.

What gives?

The patent is for a specific method that leaves the screen flush with the keyboard when it's fully extended, so that it appears as one flat surface, which is a bit different from how phones currently open with side/top slide keyboards.

So this is for a specific method, not trolling the general method.

I'm pretty sure I had a phone capable of this a LONG time ago

Sidekick's the keyboard wasn't flush with the screen.. so no, no one had this a long time ago.. Thanks for playing though.

Indeed, the sidekick wasn't flush with the screen, and even if it had been Microsoft bought Danger...who made the sidekick phones...so they would own the patent even IF it had been flush. :p

• 2 weeks later...

I had devices that did this WAY before the Sidekick did. HTC made...

Seems kinda silly that they'd be granted a patent that's so blatantly similar to pre-existing devices. But that's the US patent system for you. Broken.

I had devices that did this WAY before the Sidekick did. HTC made...

Seems kinda silly that they'd be granted a patent that's so blatantly similar to pre-existing devices. But that's the US patent system for you. Broken.

HTC never made something like this, provide examples for your claims.

HTC never made something like this, provide examples for your claims.

The TyTn II for a start. Not EXACTLY the same as this patent, but very very similar. The only real difference is in the thickness of the screen. There's also the HTC Dream and plenty of other slide phones over the years.

So what you're saying is that you haven't read anything in the thread, you didn't even read the OP you barely glimpsed at the images, or did you even do that, and saw a sliding device.

Have another look at the patent and you'll notice that this isn't about just a sliding device.

So what you're saying is that you haven't read anything in the thread, you didn't even read the OP you barely glimpsed at the images, or did you even do that, and saw a sliding device.

Have another look at the patent and you'll notice that this isn't about just a sliding device.

I did. Generally, there's little significant difference to pre-existing devices as far as I can see. "Substantially the same plane" isn't exactly defined too clearly from what I saw.