GameStop opening Deus Ex boxes, removing free game code

GameStop opening Deus Ex boxes, removing free game code

If you purchase your copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution at a retail store, you're supposed to receive a code that allows you to play the game for free using the online gaming service OnLive. It's a neat giveaway, and it certainly gives gamers an incentive to try the service, but a leaked memo seems to show GameStop's fear of digital delivery: employees are allegedly being asked to open every game and remove the coupon.

The e-mail came from Josh Ivanoff, a Field Operations Manager with GameStop. "Please immediately remove and discard the On Live [sic] coupon from all regular PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution," the memo states. "Our desire is to not have this coupon go to any customers after this announcement." Here's a copy of the letter, with Mr. Ivanoff's contact information removed.

deus-ex-letter-4e552a1-intro.jpg

We contacted Ivanoff on his business line and e-mail, and he refused to comment on the memo, instead asking us to take the issue up with public relations. GameStop spokesperson Beth Sharum confirmed the practice, telling Ars that "Square Enix packed the competitor?s coupon with our DXHR product without our prior knowledge and we did pull these coupons."

Some customers are reporting that they've bought the game at GameStop and received the coupon, while others are saying the coupon was missing. A comment on Joystiq alleged that the reasoning behind this move was to avoid sending customers to OnLive, as GameStop is making a strong push into the digital market itself.

If true, this is bad news for customers: GameStop employees would have to open every new copy of this game and throw away a free copy of the game that was meant for customers to be in compliance. For now, if you absolutely must buy the game from a GameStop location, either make sure the game is sealed, or check for the coupon before leaving the location.

Source: Ars Technica

Shady indeed. Wonder if that means they are going to start pulling all Steamworks enabled games as well? Does that not also promote a service other than their own?

Shady indeed. Wonder if that means they are going to start pulling all Steamworks enabled games as well? Does that not also promote a service other than their own?

Haha, exactly. Can't fix stupid.

Dont see how they can do this really, once the box is opened isnt it then classed as second hand? I dont care if it was opened by the store if i am ment to get something in the case then i should get it not have it pulled by the store because they dont like it maybe the next move will be the code is linked to the game that way if it is removed it makes the game none valid (key and code = activation).

Throw them away or keep them and sell ono their own off craigslist and ebay :devil:

I hope they dont get away with this.

That's surely illegal if true. They should get sued for that and rightfully so. Onlive made a deal with Eidos/Square Enix, and that deal should make it's way to customers.

This is their response to it:

Regarding the Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Codes: We don?t make a habit of promoting competitive services without a formal partnership. Square Enix packed the competitor?s coupon with our DXHR product without our prior knowledge and we did pull these coupons. While the new products may be opened, we fully guarantee the condition of the discs to be new. If you find this to not be the case, please contact the store where the game was purchased and they will further assist.

via facebook.com/gamestop

That's just ridiculous. What were GameStop's executives thinking when they gave that decree? Did they honestly think no news outlets would pick that up?

This is their response to it:

via facebook.com/gamestop

What a bs excuse.

I hope Square Enix sues them. I hope Onlive sues them, and I hope consumers open class action lawsuits against them.

I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, why would a pc gamer even want to play the game in an inferior way by using onlive? Chances are that if you play games on the pc, then your pc if powerful enough that you don't need onlive. Hell, i'd bet noone here on neowin who bought the pc version was even going to consider playing it on onlive anyway.

I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, why would a pc gamer even want to play the game in an inferior way by using onlive? Chances are that if you play games on the pc, then your pc if powerful enough that you don't need onlive. Hell, i'd bet noone here on neowin who bought the pc version was even going to consider playing it on onlive anyway.

Choice; What a concept.

I have to agree +1

that be $%#ing lagtastic. Im not going to wast my bandwith to play a single player game over the net just to lag out

Well a friend of mine doesnt have terribly good computers, I could see it in his case. It would be pretty weird I'm sure though.

if he has a ****ty computer he shouldn't be getting the new game anyways... well he could, via on live...

and i don't blame gamestop for doing this at all. why would they sell a products that promotes a competitor without their knowledge? that doesn't make any sort of business sense...

Choice; What a concept.

You already made your choice by buying the pc version. If your choice was to play it on onlive, why would you buy the pc box instead of choosing to go to onlive for it?

and i don't blame gamestop for doing this at all. why would they sell a products that promotes a competitor without their knowledge?

If gamestop doesn't like whats in a product then they shouldn't sell the product. Not opening and removing what they don't want and still selling it as new.

I'm utterly disgusting that anyone would be ok with that.