{ Poll } Are you happy with Windows 8?

Satisfaction rating  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with Windows 8?

• Yes, very! Would definitely buy it :)
    • Mildly, will wait for BUILD to make up my mind :|
    • Nope, I'm leaving Windows! It's either Mac or Linux for me :(
    • Don't care.... (because I use something else/ or am fine with an older Windows)

Tablet-->hell yes.

Desktop-->not yet.

as long as I get an awesome nvidia powered tablet with it and have good gaming and good media options and be able to run photoshop without problems then yesssssss.

anyone with anything with nvidia awesomes with windows 8 news let me know. nvidia should just say f it and make a whole tablet pc for it.... I would get it fo sho.

I want a 10 inch tablet, 6+ hours battery life running photoshop, at least 4GB RAM, a good sound chip/DSP, user replacable battery, full ports, SD card, and comes with a car kit.

Just for a "proper" tablet based version alone, hell yes. Desktop most likely, a little leery about the new start screen but hey, chances are a GPO will disable it if it annoys me, looks pretty damn good otherwise.

Just for a "proper" tablet based version alone, hell yes. Desktop most likely, a little leery about the new start screen but hey, chances are a GPO will disable it if it annoys me, looks pretty damn good otherwise.

let's hope so the start screen is meh for desktops but makes sense for a tablet.... must be part of the "think outside the pc" thing MS is pulling.....

let's hope so the start screen is meh for desktops but makes sense for a tablet.... must be part of the "think outside the pc" thing MS is pulling.....

Personally don't see why it wouldn't be, almost all of Windows can be customized or flat out removed/disabled in one way or another, besides the guys at MS aren't stupid or blind, they're going to know that some people aren't going to like a big change.. just look at those that are still hanging onto XP for dear life for example. Going to take some time getting used to it, sure, it's a pretty big change. Of course most of us here are talking out of our collective butts as we're mostly basing everything on little bits of info from here and there and actually haven't tried it yet. Time will tell and all that. If it's a flat out stinker, Win 7 is going to be viable for quite some time yet.. not going to be a child about it and make things worse by switching to something that doesn't run anything I need, that's just silly.

Personally don't see why it wouldn't be, almost all of Windows can be customized or flat out removed/disabled in one way or another, besides the guys at MS aren't stupid or blind, they're going to know that some people aren't going to like a big change.. just look at those that are still hanging onto XP for dear life for example. Going to take some time getting used to it, sure, it's a pretty big change. Of course most of us here are talking out of our collective butts as we're mostly basing everything on little bits of info from here and there and actually haven't tried it yet. Time will tell and all that. If it's a flat out stinker, Win 7 is going to be viable for quite some time yet.. not going to be a child about it and make things worse by switching to something that doesn't run anything I need, that's just silly.

this is why I wish MS would show more customizations to assure people that they can still be in control over the look.

like having a different color scheme (like all black tiles like I would have mine at) or a nice wallpaper behind those tiles....

or having the start screen disabled for a professional system.

it's like not knowing weather the new apartment you really want to rent allows cats or not.... they won't respond to inquiries about it so you get frustrated.....

This thread just doesn't make much sense. How would we know if Windows 8 is good? The product isn't released yet and we only know a couple of things about it. Ask the question after Windows 8 has been released.

This thread just doesn't make much sense. How would we know if Windows 8 is good? The product isn't released yet and we only know a couple of things about it. Ask the question after Windows 8 has been released.

I originally called this poll: "Are you Happy with Windows 8, so far?"

But later reomved "so far" since I thought that people would get what am I saying.

To me, it seems as if the Start Screen will be a fantastic and very useful component of the operating system on desktops. Currently, I often use MetroTwit, not only because it is the best Twitter client, but because it notifies me with popups at the bottom of my screen when anyone I'm following posts a new tweet; similarly, I pin Facebook to my Taskbar because I find the notification overlay icon very useful. It appears the new Start Screen could include this useful information for me but on the tiles, so I will no longer have to open seperate applications to be notified of the information I'd like to be notified about as soon as it happens.

A tile for a Twitter app could show the latest tweet from any of my followers, and a tile for a Facebook application could actually be more useful than currently pinning the Facebook application to the Taskbar; it could display the full text of the notification, not just an icon informing me of a new notification. The Facebook tile could also inform me whenever any of my friends post an update likewise to the Twitter tile, and of course the Twitter tile could also show mentions and new direct messages.

Of course, I am not saying I expect the above to be possible, but it appears to be possible from the limited demonstrations and blog posts we have seen so far. All of this also revolves around the idea we will be able to have the Start Screen open at all times on another screen if we wish; I don't expect this feature from Microsoft, and I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't implemented it, but I really hope they have due to how useful the Start Screen could be for me and many others. It seems we will no longer need to open any applications if we'd like to see the latest updates or information; we will be informed of new mail, new IMs, new notifications, new news articles, and much more by just glancing at the Start Screen.

From what we've seen so far, the Start Screen seems to be the feature I will value most, so it certainly has a place on the desktop version of Windows 8. Of course, Microsoft may have implemented some central notification system that includes popups in one of the corners, which might mean I decide not to have the Start Screen open at all times, but we'll see :)

what I wanna know is we can have the classic desktop in one screen and the start screen (metro) in the other.

*added bonus... remembering this on startup and booting to this....*

I would have the smaller monitor as metro... my monitoring monitor....

and the big screen is classic.... working on photoshop, media stuff, using full firefox, server adminning, etc....

To me, it seems as if the Start Screen will be a fantastic and very useful component of the operating system on desktops. Currently, I often use MetroTwit, not only because it is the best Twitter client, but because it notifies me with popups at the bottom of my screen when anyone I'm following posts a new tweet; similarly, I pin Facebook to my Taskbar because I find the notification overlay icon very useful. It appears the new Start Screen could include this useful information for me but on the tiles, so I will no longer have to open seperate applications to be notified of the information I'd like to be notified about as soon as it happens. A tile for a Twitter app could show the latest tweet from any of my followers, and a tile for a Facebook application could actually be more useful than currently pinning the Facebook application to the Taskbar; it could display the full text of the notification, not just an icon informing me of a new notification. Of course, I am not saying I expect this to be possible, but it appears to be possible from the limited demonstrations and blog posts we have seen so far. All of this also revolves around the idea we will be able to have the Start Screen open at all times on another screen if we wish; I don't expect this feature from Microsoft, and I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't implemented it, but I really hope they have due to how useful the Start Screen could be for me and many others. It seems we will no longer need to open any applications if we'd like to see the latest updates or information; we will be informed of new mail, new IMs, new notifications, new news articles, and much more by just glancing at the Start Screen. From what we've seen so far, the Start Screen seems to be the feature I will value most, so it certainly has a place on the desktop version of Windows 8. Of course, Microsoft may have implemented some central notification system that includes popups in one of the corners, which might mean I decide not to have the Start Screen open at all times, but we'll see :)

Hi Calum, nice post. I really agree with your first point about Start screen having a very important role. :yes: (edited)

And here's something, that I think you might find useful (link) /:laugh:

So far from what I've seen, yes pretty excited about it, nice to see some genuine innovation and change versus just a new coat of paint over the same old desktop, which aside from visuals (and functionality of course) really hasn't overall changed much since 95. Not sure on the new start screen yet, have to wait to try it of course. Metro looks very nice, not the tiles but the actual interface itself, looks very sleek and modern, and of course it's Windows so it can be changed anyway. Bored with the old blue pastels, or even worse, the greys in some other desktops, talk about 1990's looks. Hope they put up some hard information about the functionality of the start screen soon, namely customizing it, accessing the rest of the links, searching, etc.

what I wanna know is we can have the classic desktop in one screen and the start screen (metro) in the other.

*added bonus... remembering this on startup and booting to this....*

I would have the smaller monitor as metro... my monitoring monitor....

and the big screen is classic.... working on photoshop, media stuff, using full firefox, server adminning, etc....

I would like that, and that is what I'm hoping I can do; use my smaller monitor for keeping track of the live tiles, and use my larger monitor for everything else. Of course, if I'm watching a film on my large monitor, I'd use the smaller monitor for everything else. It's not just a case of using the Immersive experience on one monitor and the old Desktop experience on another though because sometimes, we may want to keep the Start Screen showing on one monitor and use an Immersive app on the other.

Hi Calum, nice post. I really agree with your first point about Start screen being very important. :yes:

And here's something, that I think you might find useful (link) /:laugh:

Thanks :) And, haha, if you see my other posts, you'll notice I usually use paragraphs :D I guess I just didn't realise quite how long that post was.Thanks for informing me :)