ITV documentary mistakes Arma 2 for real IRA film

An ITV documentary screened last night presented footage from Arma 2 as a secret IRA film from 1988.

The clip, which you can see below (via PC Gamer), allegedly showed a helicopter being shot down by the IRA using weapons supplied by Colonel Gaddafi.

Speaking over the footage, the narrator says: "With Gaddafi's heavy machine guns, it was possible to shoot down a helicopter, as the terrorists' own footage of 1988 shows."

Responding to the programme, Marek Spanel, CEO of Arma developer Bohemia Interactive, told PC Gamer the company hadn't been approached by ITV about using the footage.

"We are going to try to get some explanation from ITV how this could have happened," he said.

"Sometimes creativity and realism in our games lead into crazy results and this is one of such example. I just briefly watched the entire documentary and I still can not believe it as it is overall very serious and lengthy feature.

"We are surprised our games apparently may look real enough to some users already that they can not tell it is not real life footage."

Source: CVG

What makes this weird is that ITV must have reworked the footage to get rid of the music playing in the original edit, which surely means they were well aware that this wasn't IRA footage?

That's just really weird...

I wouldn't expect anything serious from ITV anyway given that the whole station seems to be devoted to Jordan and Peter Andre. It seems fitting that the footage in a pro-colonialism propaganda piece would be from a game.

The problem with a lot of journalism nowadays, you just cannot trust it.

Wasn't it a Sky News reporter a few years ago committed suicide because he was found out to be running [old] video of missiles being launched from US ships against Iraq and claiming it to have happened that day?

If you're going to make documentaries or news, report the truth and not fantasy.