SIRI = Steve Is Really Inside by John C. Dvorak

Is this guy from PC magazine for real? Does he ever likes anything?

Source:http://www.pcmag.com...bid=gZxoCcnMgzr

SIRI = Steve Is Really Inside

ARTICLE DATE : October 18, 2011

By John C. Dvorak

Steve jobs apparently gets the last laugh as Siri is finally released for the iPhone. If anyone wasting literally hours conversing with this robot doesn't think they are being had, then they should spend more time. Or think harder.

To begin, Where does Siri's name come from? I'm sure there is a rationale behind the name. It's an obvious acronym, but for what? It's not well-publicized, that's for sure.

I'm convinced that it stands for "Steve Is Really Inside," but it could mean a lot of other things, too. It's the stock market symbol for Sirius Satellite Radio. It's also: Safety Information Resources, Inc., Sustainable Investment Research International Group, Safety Information Resources on the Internet. Sugar Industry Research Institute (Jamaica), and Semiconductor Industry Research Institute.

Looking back into the acronym vault found on the acronym decryption site Acronym Finder, you get:

Suicide Intervention Response Inventory, State Institute for Reading Instruction, Soil and Irrigation Research Institute, Soybean Insect Research Information. I could go on.

No clue as to this particular Siri, though.

Let me take a shot at one other possibility. Stupid Input Results Idiotic (SIRI).

I like this one because most of what I am seeing is pretty lame. News story after news story reports people asking Siri dumb questions, wasting time. CNN wrote a long article about the trend.

I did the Twit podcast over the weekend and a good third of the podcast content consisted of asking Siri silly questions in search of the apparent pat answers that are pre-programmed into the system.

Example:

User: Beam Me Up!

Siri: OK, stand still.

This, of course, is taking place because no one takes the software seriously. Nobody is writing long articles praising the program, claiming it saved time, money, or someone's life. No, they're always about Siri's dumb or snide answers to banal or idiotic questions.

We all saw this coming with the idiocy known as ALICE (Artificial Linguistic Internet Computer Entity) where similar lame interaction takes place. This was preceded by all sorts of chat bots.

If there was ever a moment of absurd decadence earmarking a notable spot in the rise and fall of the American Republic, it may be the release of Siri. Millions of people now grab the iPhone and ask dumb questions just to see if it says something funny. It's as if the entire country has turned into Ralph Wiggum from The Simpsons.

Even weirder is the reaction when the device correctly answers some mundane query. The person literally bounces up and down like an excited chimpanzee. All that is missing is the screeching ape sound.

I never, even for a moment, believed Steve Jobs had any real respect for the masses. He had to wonder why they cheered too much for every nuanced comment he ever made on stage. Performers all recognize when they have a live audience of suckers that can be goaded into accepting anything. Laughing at everything. Applauding every pause. Siri has got to be the capper. The cynical message is obvious: You are all a bunch of dumb monkeys and let me prove it to you.

And indeed he has. All that is missing from the equation is the knuckle dragging, and that's kind of a shame. I suppose there could have been one last app that required users to hunch way over and drag their hands along the ground for some absurd reason, but alas, no.

So we just get the mild amusement of watching iPhone users play with their new friend, Siri. And the last laugh at an audience of fun-loving apes. Want a banana?

Wow, I just read the article.

You know, it used to take at least an ounce of skill to write something and get it published. I am not au-fais with the author but it seems to me he simply rambled for a number of paragraphs without making any point other than to convey his anti-Apple stance.

He has a point about the exaggerated coverage of stupid questions, but that's about it -- in typical Dvorak fashion, this article makes me wonder why I'm not paid to write stupid ****.

Also, isn't Siri the name of the company that developed the system? Did he just completely ignore that to ramble about stupid acronyms?

He has a point about the exaggerated coverage of stupid questions, but that's about it -- in typical Dvorak fashion, this article makes me wonder why I'm not paid to write stupid ****.

Also, isn't Siri the name of the company that developed the system? Did he just completely ignore that to ramble about stupid acronyms?

You are 100% correct. The name SIRI was given by the company with the same name. SIRI was bought by Apple on April 28, 2010 for an undisclosed amount, and integrated into the new iPhone 4S, so yes you are right. The name SIRI was not created by Apple so it does not mean "Steve Is Really Inside" like he attempts to claim. John Dvorak is an idiot who is obviously not well informed.

http://en.wikipedia...._%28software%29

Siri (pronounced /?s??ri/) is a personal assistant application for iOS. The application uses natural language processing to answer questions, make recommendations, and perform actions by delegating requests to an expanding set of web services. The iOS app is the first public product by its makers,[citation needed] who are focused on artificial intelligence applications. Siri was acquired by Apple Inc. on April 28, 2010.[1] Before Apple's purchase, Siri had announced that their software would soon be available for BlackBerry and for Android-powered phones, but all development efforts for non-Apple platforms were cancelled after Apple's purchase of Siri.[2]

Siri's marketing claims include that Siri adapts to the user's individual preferences over time and personalizes results, as well as accomplishing tasks such as making dinner reservations and reserving a cab.[3]

Siri was launched as an integrated feature, although as a beta version, of the Apple iPhone 4S, launched in October 2011 and currently remains an iPhone 4S exclusive.[4] This is not due to any hardware actual constraints but rather to apple simply disallowing the app to run on older iPhones, it is however possible to use siri on an iPhone 4 but apple refuses to allow access to their servers.

Oh Dvorak....how low can you go? This guy is such a joke

Maybe. But he hit the nail on the head. I predicted as soon as Siri came out it was gonna be an idiotic piece of technology that people would never use in public. He got it right. people, especially Apple tards think this is the next best thing to sliced bread when it's nothing but a gimmicky little piece of software. It may have some uses here and there but in the large scale of things, it's kinda stupid. And the joke is on everyone.

Maybe. But he hit the nail on the head. I predicted as soon as Siri came out it was gonna be an idiotic piece of technology that people would never use in public. He got it right. people, especially Apple tards think this is the next best thing to sliced bread when it's nothing but a gimmicky little piece of software. It may have some uses here and there but in the large scale of things, it's kinda stupid. And the joke is on everyone.

I've used it in the car numerous times already. While I was at the gym today, I used it to text my girlfriend and create a reminder to do something when I got home.

People that don't understand why it's different from other voice recognition technologies are waiving it off as being some gimmick or fad. When you actually use it, you realize why it's technology that actually changes the way you use your phone.

I have to disagree with you on this one. SIRI may not be next best thing to sliced bread but it is useful...very useful, especially on working enviornments like mine where I have to constantly drive a work van and we are not allowed to use our cellphones while we drive. We can however use BlueTooth or hands-free and the SIRI utility is quite helpful in that regard because I can put the phone on my visor and use it all I want via BlueTooth and voice commands. I can make phone calls, send and reply to text messages or emails, all with the sound of my voice without having to take my eyes off the road and my hands off the wheel so SIRI is not a joke and it is not a useless feature. It is a very helpful tool for those that know how to fully use it to their advantage.