Winamp For Mac

I just went to winamp.com on the Mac and it gave me a download for the Mac. So I went and downloaded it. WOW! It is a very early version, not at all feature rich, but looks like it is made for Android syncing. It does play your basic music though just fine, not streams.

I was surprised to say the least that it was available as I was looking to download it for Crossover for the Mac so I can stream to shoutcast this Christmas.

Anyone else seen this? It is in their beta stages, although, I would call it more 'Alpha' compared to it's Windows counterpart.

Wow, Winamp...I haven't thought about those guys for years now. I gave up using it on Windows as it became quite bloated for what I wanted, and now that I'm on a Mac (well, for personal use) I just use iTunes. Yes, I know what I just said about Winamp, and how odd it seems that I should then be using iTunes. But meh, it works for me and my music collection.

its WIN amp :/ Its so pointless now :p

Many like the appearance of Winamp. And though this is probably far from the final appearance, Winamp for Mac looks pretty sleek. I like it.

8vzp94.jpg

Flac support is definitely needed, but for those of us who do not like iTunes, this is a welcomed addition to the Mac world as there are a scant few alternatives to iTunes to choose from.

Seems... interesting. I think what most people liked about Winamp back in the day was that it was a small (in both file size and screen real estate) and non-bloated music player that simply worked.

What is this full screen crap? If I want a program to use 80% of my screen, it better do more than just sync to Android and play music. Shrink that thing back to the good 'ol days (Foobar styles) and they'll see more positive feedback, I'd say.

• Like 1

Like any other app, it never has to be full screen. Size it (and any other app, including foobar2000) to whatever size you want. It takes up only as much screen real estate that you choose.

There was a post about it on the main page a little while back. It's useless to me unless they add in more formats or plugin support. I need FLAC.

Oops, missed that post on the page, but now it looks like the program is fully available and not leaked as the front page said at the time. :)

When I switched over from Windows to Mac, that had to be the only program I really missed badly because of it's sleek interface at the time and the support it had for shoutcast streams etc...

I soon meshed into iTunes like most people and have been there. Was just shocked to see something like that for the Mac again.

Like any other app, it never has to be full screen. Size it (and any other app, including foobar2000) to whatever size you want. It takes up only as much screen real estate that you choose.

Not really... Just looking at the width of the three individual components in the top of the app itself, putting those things together as close as possible would still result in a ridiculous amount of wasted width real estate. It doesn't look like a "compact"-able interface at all.

For those of you on Mac's give them some time to get it organized and properly setup. For those who have given up on Winamp for Windows you might want to give it another look. I use iTunes for both my Mac and Win computers. The good thing about Winamp is you can use it with just about any format on a Windows machine. Also you do not did to make it full screen the play in normal mode (small) is great. Another thing is I use it when just wanting to listen to one song without having to open iTunes or WMP

Will be interesting to see where Winamp takes this.

So does anyone really know how to broadcast to a shoutcast server via the Mac?

I am aware of Nicecast which makes its own server, and that is about it.

I know that I can use things to make it so others can listen to the songs on demand, but that isn't what I want. I wanted to link to my custom station on my personal web site and once I can get that part figured out, then it will work.

The good thing about Winamp is you can use it with just about any format on a Windows machine.

I don't understand why you would have a music library containing tons of different file types. Apart from FLAC iTunes plays just about every music type I imagine someone would use. In combination with iOS devices or iPod you'd be better of using Apple Lossless to begin with.

Still not as good as the old WInamp 2.95

Why can't you add folders without watching them?

I use Winamp 5.62 Pro and for audio it works great. I prefer it over WMP. I never realized there was not one for an Apple product. Video is not too good on it, I use Gom Player for that.

I don't understand why you would have a music library containing tons of different file types. Apart from FLAC iTunes plays just about every music type I imagine someone would use. In combination with iOS devices or iPod you'd be better of using Apple Lossless to begin with.

People like to have a choice, thus with Winamp you can play just about any type of music file in the wild.

FLAC is a very big "apart from". It was pretty much the standard before Apple decided yet again to go ahead and make up it's own. People aren't clamouring for iTunes to support ape or tta or shorten etc, but FLAC was and still is probably the most popular lossless codec.

Anyway, as Winamp doesn't seem like it'll fit the bill for some time (if ever), Clementine remains my weapon of choice now. Not the prettiest, and a little buggy in places, but it gives me the choice I want.

People like to have a choice, thus with Winamp you can play just about any type of music file in the wild.

My original point still stands: I see no reason why you would have a music library encoded in tons of different non-standard file formats just for the sake of it. It's anything but practical simply because most popular portable media players only support a select amount of formats. "Choice" is just a fad word nowadays people use way too frequently and randomly regardless of it actual making practical sense or not. It's also not like iTunes gives you only one encoding option.

i love winamp, ive been trying this out and it's good, i hope i can apply skins someday.

I'm a bit confused as to what can be good about this in its current state. :/