Massive milestone: Angry Birds downloaded half a billion times

Massive milestone: Angry Birds downloaded half a billion times

Game maker Rovio today announced a milestone that is incredible no matter how you look at it: Their Angry Birds franchise (which consists of the games Angry Birds, Angry Birds Seasons and Angry Birds Rio) has hit the half a billion downloads mark. This makes Angry Birds the best-selling mobile game in the world and one of the most downloaded titles in the history of gaming.

But an even bigger story is the Angry Birds merchandise. Rovio will open the world?s first official Angry Birds retail shop in Helsinki and they have already shipped more than ten million Angry Birds toys worldwide. We?re also hearing that Rovio will open the official story with Angry Birds merchandise in China, projecting a $100 million revenue in the first year. As if weren?t enough, Rovio also launched print publishing operations and released their first Angry Birds books.

If you?re into stats, here are some pretty mind-blowing factoids about the Angry Birds phenomenon, right after the break.

? Angry Birds fans around the world have so far played a total of

? 200,000 years of Angry Birds

? 300 million minutes of playing time daily

? more than 266 billion levels of Angry Birds have been played

? 400 billion birds launched into action

? over 44 billion Stars collected in the process

? Angry Birds is the #1 game in 79 countries

? Rovio?s YouTube channel has netted over 200 million video views to date

Source: 9to5Mac

How do they know all this? Does the game report back all statistics? Not that I really care, but I didn't realize it was...

With that said, it is a lot of fun. I just hope that they start pushing updates out to the Windows Phone version...

I'm trying to reverse that number by uploading it back to them, anyone wanna help?

LMAO!

I'm trying to reverse that number by uploading it back to them, anyone wanna help?

Oh really? I got one update for WP7, but there are themed levels on other platforms that I think would be cool.

And the game I would say isn't for everyone. I like playing it here and there. Currently I'm taking a break from it.

Pretty impressive indeed. The game is not my personal cup of tea (whenever I have a quick minute, I usually go for something like Tiny Wings or The Blocks Cometh), but it's a fun game with tons of personality, and Rovio's success is well-earned.

I was at Future Shop yesterday, and they were selling Angry Birds backpack clips at the checkout counter. Crazy just how popular the game has become.

Happy to say that I contributed zero downloads to that number.

I haven't downloaded nor played it, just seen it a couple of times with my little cousins

Fantastic game, I'm just hoping Rovio expands to create more games or they're going to be putting themselves in a massive hole.

It annoys me when hardcore gamers turn their nose up at stuff like this, though. Hey, fun fact: a game's a game. If you don't like it, that's cool, but more people playing games is great for the industry.

That's quite an achievement there. My favorite is however Angry Birds Rio. Its fun kicking Monkey b****.